I need help with my Server IP (Windows 7)

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by MC_Miner_Foti, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

MC_Miner_Foti

I have tried entering all of the IP addresses from the Command Prompt, ipchicken.com, and all the other sites. But none of the IP addresses work!! Please help!

-MC_Miner_Foti

2. Offline

MegaNarwhal

I'm assuming you're running this server on your own computer. Can you join the server and others cannot, or are you unable to join as well? Make sure server-ip in your server.properties is left blank. It should look like this:
    Code:
    server-ip=

3. Offline

LandonTheGeek

MC_Miner_Foti
    Yes, never enter anything into the server-ip, unless you know what you are doing, or are a professional hosting service. You will most likely get issues.

4. Offline

MC_Miner_Foti

HelpfulBeast Ok, but do I give the IP from ipchicken.com, or the Command Prompt?

5. Offline

LandonTheGeek

MC_Miner_Foti
    Those are two different things.

What is the CMD Prompt?
    • Your internal IP. Only you connect to this
    What about ipchicken.com?
    • That is for your friends.
    You yourself can still connect to both! :D

MC_Miner_Foti
    No problem. Also, make sure your IP address is static, so that you don't have to keep giving your friends a different external IP address at system startup. Not fun, I say, not fun. :D

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2016
  6. Offline

MC_Miner_Foti

HelpfulBeast
    The IP from ipchicken.com is not working, and the ServerIP in the server.properties is blank, what should I do?

7. Offline

MegaNarwhal

Also, ensure that TCP port 25565 is forwarded to your computer's IPv4 address. I use this website to check to see if a port is open. Note that your server has to be running for the port to appear open.

HelpfulBeast likes this.
  8. Offline

LandonTheGeek

MegaNarwhal
    I believe that it has to be TCP and UDP. Both. Correct me if I am wrong.

9. Offline

MC_Miner_Foti

10. Offline

MegaNarwhal

Minecraft only uses the TCP protocol for connections. Would be interesting to see how a server would run with UDP though o.o

HelpfulBeast likes this.
  11. Offline

LandonTheGeek

MC_Miner_Foti
    Enter the port here: http://puu.sh/3Ki1T.png Now click check your port. Wala! :)

MegaNarwhal
    Ah I see. On most written tutorials they say you can use both or just TCP, I realized. :)

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

12. Offline

MegaNarwhal

MC_Miner_Foti Enter the port that your server is running on (by default, it's 25565 for Minecraft servers) and click Check. It will then check the status of the connection and tell you if it can connect to the server, and if not it will tell you why.

HelpfulBeast likes this.
  13. Offline

MC_Miner_Foti

When I hit Check Your Port on canyouseeme.org it says: Error: I could not see your service on (My IP)on port (25565)
    Reason: Connection timed out

14. Offline

LandonTheGeek

MC_Miner_Foti
    Are you sure you have forwarded the port? If you have, make sure that your server is running when you check it.

15. Offline

MC_Miner_Foti

I typed in the 25565 in the Port box, and it says that. My server is also running at the same time. Should I try to restart it?

16. Offline

MegaNarwhal

Are you are sure that you have forwarded port 25565 to your computer's local IPv4 address? If you are, make sure that a firewall isn't blocking the connection. Connection timed out errors usually mean that a firewall is running. Try disabling any firewalls you might have running to see if that's the problem. If it is and you wish to keep using a firewall, try re-enabling it and adding an exception for port 25565.

17. Offline

LandonTheGeek

MegaNarwhal
    I never seem to run any issues with Firewall for some reason. Never have. And it is enabled. :D

18. Offline

MC_Miner_Foti

MegaNarwhal How do you forward your port to your IPv4 address? I am also aware of no firewalls (Aware).

19. Offline

MegaNarwhal

HelpfulBeast You probably have an exception added for Java and/or port 25565.

20. Offline

LandonTheGeek

MegaNarwhal
    You are probably correct. /Checks...

Yeah. I have an exception for Java. Lol

21. Offline

MC_Miner_Foti

How do you connect to you IPv4 address?
    Your IP: (My IP from ipchicken.com)
    What Port?

Is this correct?

In the What Port? after it comes a box with the 25565 inside it (I guess it cut it off)

I gtg I'll be back Tomarrow :p

22. Offline

LandonTheGeek

MC_Miner_Foti

IPv4 address:

1. Open your command prompt by going to run and typing 'ipconfig'
    2. Locate the IPv4 address.
    What Port?:

1. The one that you (hopefully) have forwarded to your router, which is 25565, and the one in the server.properties.
    And yes, inside the box you see, then check it with the server running.

23. Offline

MC_Miner_Foti

HelpfulBeast How do you forward your IPv4 Address to you router?

24. Offline

LandonTheGeek

MC_Miner_Foti
    You mean your port. Watch the port forwarding part for this.

25. Offline

MC_Miner_Foti

HelpfulBeast Let me see if this works. Let me grab my laptop. May take me ten minutes (aound there).

26. Offline

LandonTheGeek

MC_Miner_Foti
    Alright. :) Be aware, I didn't watch this video, I just chose a random one, so I hope this works!

27. Offline

MC_Miner_Foti

HelpfulBeast likes this.
  28. Offline

LandonTheGeek

MC_Miner_Foti likes this.
  29. Offline

Taketheword

MC_Miner_Foti
    Incase this is still at all helpful, the server.ip can be left blank. It adds no affect unless you know exactly how to use it.

30. Offline

MC_Miner_Foti

Yeah, I can't get passed the IP web link or whatever it is because I don't know the password :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.