How to Utilize Multi-core System

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by funkystudios, Jun 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

funkystudios

So I found a really good deal with a VPS:
    Disk Space (RAID 10): 350GB
    Bandwidth: Unmetered - 100MBPS
    RAM: 16GB
    CPU: AMD Opteron, 4 core - 2.1 ghz eac
    Price: $28.50/month

The problem is the CPU... Bukkit won't be able to handle many people due to the lack of multi-core processing + its an AMD Opteron at 2.1 ghz.... I'm wondering if there are any good plugins or things I can do that would utilize multi-threading.

Or if you have found a better VPS deal out there, why not post it?

2. Offline

Obliviator

Can't be done without rewriting bukkit.

Might have wanted to search/read any other thread on the bukkit forums.

3. Offline

mindless728

Run multiple servers that are different types

4. Offline

Deleted user

Link to this deal?

Darky1126 likes this.
  5. Offline

funkystudios

Read the post again... I acknowledge that Bukkit isn't multi-threaded. I'm wondering what plugins or ways I can use the multi-core (NoLagg).

Interesting idea, I'm looking for one server though.

https://www.inspirenethost.co.uk/pages/vps/

I have found a dedicated server for $88/month instead. 8GB ram, i5-2400, SSD RAID 1... 150-200 players I would say.

6. Offline

Double0negative

Im currenting running on a dedicated server $73 a month, 32GB ram, i7 2600k 3.4GHz, 2 x3TD RAID 1 ssd.

7. Offline

funkystudios

Got a link? Or is it no longer available?

I'm assuming it is not an SSD and got the server from Hetzner: http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produkte_rootserver/ex4s

$74/month + $74 setup fee?

8. Offline

Double0negative

Howd you guess xD, yes its not ssd but the HDD's are at 6gb/s plus you can buy ssd if you need it

9. Offline

funkystudios

Reverse IP lookup ;)

I considered that server, but I'm considering ovh.ie because of zero setup fee. I did find a decent server at Hetzner ($0 setup) $96/month.

10. Offline

greatman

You can have the ex4s from Hetzner for 100$ with a 120GB SSD and it's rock solid for a good amount of MC servers.

11. Offline

LexLaiden

You can't change the main bukkit to multi-thread, but you can try to use plugins that take advantage of multi-threading. This would releave some of the extra strain on the main server thread by the plugins you use. VariableTriggers is very powerfull and lets you do much to create your own plugin like features and most of its proccessing in done on seperate Threads.

12. Offline

funkystudios

Sounds like a cool plugin! It's like programming within the Minecraft game.

For $96 I got a VPS that is better than ex4s imho. Intel i7 980x (ranked 18th by passmark), 2x128GB SSD, 24GB RAM, 100 Mb/s.

It's from Hetzner too!

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2016
  13. Offline

LexLaiden

Yes it is, but if you don't understand the basic one line command structure and don't want to mess with all that just use the sinple one or two line commands on a trigger you can still get amazing effects.

14. Offline

greatman

I need 32gb RAM for hosting purpose :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.