How to reduce ram usage on server?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by xxxkilldogxxx, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

xxxkilldogxxx

Hi i run a 20 slot server which aprently to fragnet.net is ment to run 30 slots but however since i run a variety of plugins i compensated for this and reduced the slots however when say we have 15 people join and then say 5 people leave and we then have 10 the ram dont drop at all.

Shouldnt it drop? or am i missing something ive check the logs and cleared and fixed the [Serve] errors from upgrading to 1.0, infact this only started really being a problem in 1.0 and im on build 1519.

Any ideas how i can reduce my ram usage or cure this problem without losing plugins as it means alot of restarts which i dont really wanna do apart from once a day at a specific time so regular users expect it.

2. Offline

nala3

turn view distance down to like 6 in server.props :) you should see a drop in startup memory and per player.

3. Offline

xxxkilldogxxx

Ahh brillaint thank you, anything else that can reduce ram as tbh 1.0 has a memory leak somewhere for sure

4. Offline

saul100

try deleting some of the more 'ram consuming' plugins.

5. Offline

xxxkilldogxxx

thats the thing tho all the plugins i have play a vital role in keeping the server fun :/ and running tbh

6. Offline

Sg1team

This is what I am asking myself, too. If I have many people on my server its ok if the ram usage goes up. But when the people leave, why does bukkit not free ram anymore? Especially when there is nobody on the server I would expect ram usage to go down at least a little bit.
    Is there some trick I am missing or is bukkit really not freeing allocated ram when it is not used anymore?

7. Offline

prodige30

I use 1529, and ram keep going up and end by making lags. 2Mo ram 3 player. It never free ram. I use ptweak plugin so it's a little better..

8. Offline

joshua katz

Answer to your question, no. Ram should not drop. From my experience people are more CPU incentive, cpu useage should go down. Ram is used for map, mob locations, plugins and so on.

Good tips:
    Something that I use to help with lag is revising your minecraft.sh script. Most people only look at the -Xmx option. There are many others. Here is the one I use for all my servers. java -server -XX:parallelGCThreads=[amount of cores] -Xincgc -Xmx[ram]G -jar [CB jar name].jar nogui.

Next i would tone down plugins. You need to see if you have plugins in that can he handled with others. EX: Many people used Infchests when they had essentials, many didnt know about essentials free signs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.