How to disable "somebody issued server command"?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by tombik, Sep 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

TnT

If it can be done via a plugin, it should be done via a plugin. Toward your point of a world generator - that isn't allowing more worlds, its setting the generator used for the default world, which cannot be done easily outside of the bukkit.yml. Outside of the bukkit.yml, a person would need to setup a server, run some plugin generator on a new world, and then shut down their server to replace the default world with a newly generated one. A competent admin can do this all with a single startup of their server.

Insanity by design is asking Bukkit to implement features that can be done better, and easier via plugins. As I said, log file size arguments are invalid, because we already offer methods of handing that. Your host not allowing them is an issue with your host. My host allows them. My previous host allows them. Your host needs to improve their offering. I choose my hosting company wisely based on what control I have in my server. If I do not have control, I do not want to use them. You may want to give up that control, but again, that's not Bukkit's problem, that is your desired choice.

That logic dictates we should add every single feature every single user wants directly into CraftBukkit. Why use plugins at all?

Its a vanilla minecraft feature that Mojang did not make an option for in their config, and we see no reason to turn it off. There has been no use case presented that prompts us to disable it. No use case presented in this post is not already handled via another method, already existing in CraftBukkit.

I do not see your point of view. Filtering log messages is simple. Log rotation is simple. A plugin intercepting messages and logging them is no more difficult than a plugin intercepting log message and not logging them.

Yes, it is in vanilla 1.3. That is where it came from.

You are kidding, right? Yes, file i/o does make an impact, but if your server cannot handle the commands being logged, it cannot possibly handle Minecraft, at all, whatsoever. You will see no noticeable impact to an extra command being logged, and it would be no different than someone in your server saying "Hi, how are you". A log should show everything possible. Otherwise the log is not as valuable as it can be. If you want to decrease the value of that log yourself, you have been told how.

Now that you're beginning to make straw man arguments because your other concerns have been addressed and found invalid, I can safely say this discussion has jumped the shark.

2. I am sorry to having been misunderstood in this elementary way.

3. Offline

TnT

Says the person who cannot understand well documented bukkit.yml settings, feels a ~16 byte addition to a log file is harming his disk I/O, cannot come up with a use case for getting his way, feels his hosts problems are Bukkit's concern... I don't think I need to go on further.

Locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.