How to avoid high CPU usage

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by Dothackking, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Dothackking

Hello, I have run into problems with many of my servers where the CPU usage is terribly high, but I see many servers running huge maps with lots of plugins and no problems. When I run a server, I rent out a linux dedicated box, with HUGE amounts of CPU power, but the CPU always seems to throttle when players get too far from each other. The problem I'm facing is...I see some servers with 2x as many plugins as me, and maps that are over 10k*10k + 3k*3k (two maps), and they have lots of players, with no lag. Now, knowing that MC doesn't utilize multithreading well, how could this big of a difference be possible? I usually have CPU problems with players who are 2k blocks apart on a AMD Quad-Core 3.1GHz CPU.

So, what can I do to be more like those other servers, where CPU doesn't seem to be an issue, 120 people spread over tens of thousands of block diameter areas?

I have noticed that LogBlock contributes alot to CPU usage, but it's kind of necessary.

edit: to show an example: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...val-✔-large-map-✔-upcoming-tekkit-✔-no-lag-✔/ has a world that's 20kx20k, and they're making a resource world. My processor I will be getting only benchmarks 5% lower than that processor, but I know for a fact that processor (with my configs I've had previously) can only handle about 2k*2k
    I would really love help.

Thanks.

2. Offline

ZachBora

What type of disk are you using? Disks make a huge difference too. And ram speed.

Edit: If you can, benchmark your disk queue length.

3. Offline

LaxWasHere

- Use SSDs
    - Don't use Intel Atom
    - Use that other build
    - Play with bukkit.yml and server.properties
    - OP LaxWasHere for 29% increase in awesomeness.

4. Offline

ZachBora

how does that make the server run faster?

5. Offline

LaxWasHere

Because my name is on the drive, so increased IO speeds. But then again you could also putt me on the ban list. :|

6. Offline

Agreementation

Well it depends on the power of the server, you need to either limit the amount of players or get more ram/CPU storage.
    With my server I have a small amount of ram and the CPU is normally really high, but it isn't hurting anything.

7. Offline

Dothackking

How would disk speed affect CPU usage though? My previous machine that I'm basing this off of was this one(I don't have it anymore)

Edit: What is "that other build"

2nd Edit: I am fairly tech savvy, what was being throttled was not HDD, but CPU. Two of the cores would go to 99% with players just being 2k blocks apart with minimal plugins (WG, WE, Logblock etc)

AMD Quad-Core 3.1GHz 16GB
    Primary Hard Drive: 500GB SATA (included)
    Memory (RAM): 16GB RAM (included)
    Operating System: CentOS 5 (Recommended)

The one I'm thinking of switching to this time around has these specs:

Core i7-3770 4 Cores + HT
    3.4Ghz 32GB DDR3 1TB

8. Offline

Clinton

The i7-3770 would be an excellent performance boost. I'd suggest an SSD though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.