Question How many players could this server hold?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by ohaitrans, Jul 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

ohaitrans

On a survival server with GriefPrevention, LogBlock, Essentials, mcMMO, and WorldGuard, how many players could be online with little lag?

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 2GHz
    RAM: 4GB DDR2
    HDD: 320GB, 5400 RPM, 8MB Cache
    Connection: 100mbit/s

2. Offline

oceantheskatr

I'm sure not many. That isn't too powerful of a processor. I'm guessing maybe around 10 players. If you're running this server on your computer and doing other tasks too then it could vary.

3. Offline

ohaitrans

If a 4790k can hold 300+ players, surely this could handle 50?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  4. Offline

oceantheskatr

Which X2 model is it? I didn't realize there were different ones :p

5. Offline

ohaitrans

An Athlon 64 X2 3400+. Now that I think about it, it will probably not work well... How about a Q6600 (not actually a q6600, just an amd opteron processor with the same single core performance in benchmarks) with 32gb ram and SSD?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  6. Offline

oceantheskatr

A Q6600 should work much better, however I don't think you need to dedicate 32GB of RAM to the server, and SSD won't make too much of a difference.

7. Offline

ohaitrans

Lol, not sure the Q6600 even supports 32GB of RAM. It's just the hosting I'm looking at has an 8 core Opteron processor with roughly equal single core performance to a Q6600. I'll probably take something better for MC servers though.

8. Offline

oceantheskatr

If you're looking at hosting, I'd suggest ProfessionalXen :) Only $4/GB, it's a great price. They use mainly E3-1245v2 processors which are nearly the very best you can get for hosting, and at such a great price. You get access to setting a custom amount of slots available, and also you're able to upload custom jars. This is great if you use things like Tekkit or FTB. There are many great reasons to pick ProfessionalXen, and I've actually made a video outlining a lot of these points. You should check it out!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.