Solved How do I change Software/Version on Query?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Andarkvolt, Oct 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Andarkvolt

When I put my server IP on this website https://dinnerbone.com/minecraft/tools/status/ it tells me I'm using Bukkit. Is there a way which can stop this website or other websites from knowing what I'm running? (Make it unknown.)
    I have tried setting the server query option in server.properties to false, but it doesn't seem to fix this problem. I'm open to suggestions.

2. Online

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

@Andarkvolt Chances are that you need a plugin to block this.
    Not sure what packets need to be changed though for this.

3. @Andarkvolt @timtower
    Did some investigating, turns out it's possible. It's using the PacketStatusOutServerInfo if anyone's interested.

I can make a plugin to do this for you, but you need to tell me how you want it to be, should it just say nothing, or make it seem like it's a vanilla server? Also, should the version number be visible, or should that also be not shown?

Just so you know, this is how it looks if I provide no information at all:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  4. Offline

Andarkvolt

@AlvinB
    Sorry, I don't see the image you provided. What I'm wanting is to make it look like a Vanilla Server. Basically, the version number would still show up (corresponding to the Minecraft Server Version), and the Software is "Unknown" (the same response as a Vanilla Server).
    If you could make this plugin for me I would be very grateful!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  5. Offline

oceantheskatr

@Andarkvolt The picture looked like this:

Version:
    Software: Unknown

6. @Andarkvolt
    Ah, I'll make it configurable, so you can choose what it should say.

7. Offline

Andarkvolt

Thank you!

8. @Andarkvolt
    Alright, finished it. Download is here:
    https://bringholm.com/downloads/QueryBlocker.jar

Config should be self-explanatory, the only command is /queryblocker reload (to reload the config) with the permission queryblocker.reload (queryblocker.* can also be used).

The plugin is coded using Reflection so should work on all versions (tested on 1.9.4 and 1.10.2).

If you for whatever reason want to look at the source code, that can be found here.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  9. Offline

Andarkvolt

@AlvinB
    Thanks for making this for me! I highly appreciate it!
    So far I have modified whatever it is in the apostrophes and the query responded with the correct response, however I do not know how to make it look Vanilla.

In the config file you said "# To make it look like vanilla, simply comment this line by putting a '#' infront of it."
    Could you show me the exact text I need to have in the config file to make it look Vanilla? I have tried several combinations of my understanding on what you said, but it doesn't seem to work.

EDIT: After a couple more attempts, I think I have got it working I have this: " software: '' " in the config file, and it comes up with the correct responses. However I would still like to verify with you whether this is the correct method of doing it (making it look like Vanilla)?

10. @Andarkvolt
    Sorry, that was a derp on my part, I forgot to save when I updated the instructions in the config file. And yes, the correct way of doing it just putting 2 quotation marks or 2 apostrophes as the value. I'll repost the download with the correct config in a couple minutes.

EDIT: Alright, updated the config to contain the correct comments. Here is the link:
    https://bringholm.com/downloads/QueryBlocker.jar

Another thing I should probably mention is that this plugin requires ProtocolLib, but you seem to have already figured that out.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  11. @Andarkvolt I assume you don't want players to know it's Bukkit (for whatever reason) but there are tons of ways people can see, honestly querying is like the last thing someone would do. Checking commands is the first thing so, /pl, /help, /we, /version etc all show it is Bukkit or it has a plugin (Which also shows it is Bukkit). People don't care if it's Bukkit, 90% of the servers out there are but if you want to make it look Vanilla, you need to do a lot of blocking.

Anyway, just a thought for you. Well done @oceantheskatr and @AlvinB finding the info and making a plugin for it. Posting on DBO might be an idea for others wanting to do the same.

12. Offline

I Al Istannen

@AlvinB
    Do you support Variables?

Do you know the cool player counts like "20/40" in bold red? I think they are done by sending the string as the server version or something like this.

13. @I Al Istannen you mean with the connection bars crossed out and the red text? That's changing the protocol message, easy to do but I prefer to just change the actual player count and have the connection bars still active.

I Al Istannen likes this.
  14. @I Al Istannen
    You mean like this?
    [​IMG]
    (Ignore the V btw, it's just Forge)

Personally, I think this doesn't look very good as it has a red cross at the connection bars. It is actually done by telling the client the server is using the wrong protocol version, making it think it can't join the server.

I Al Istannen likes this.
  15. Offline

I Al Istannen

@AlvinB @bwfcwalshy
    This was what I meant. Should have put the "cool" in quotation marks.
    I just remember it being very popular (at least in my server list ;)) some time ago and considering it probably is the same packet I thought it could fit in here.

You are right, the crossed out connection bars are something to consider.

But I think I read somewhere that if you right pad that protocol version string (or name ot whatever) with spaces you can display a message left of the server favicon. Which is a cool tech demo xD

16. @I Al Istannen
    Of course, I could very easily add support for these sorts of things, it just wasn't in the scope of what the OP was asking for, so I didn't include it. If you want to have a play around to see if you can make it yourself, here's the source:
    http://pastebin.com/f0DJfB5n

17. Offline

I Al Istannen

@AlvinB
    I see. Nah, not motivated enough to do it myself :p
    I remember playing around with this event some time ago, as well as setting the Favicon to the Player head. The code seems to be broken now, but I am too disgusted to have a more in-depth look at it xD

Thanks though and have a nice day! :)

18. Offline

I Al Istannen

19. @I Al Istannen
    Ah yeah, that one doesn't let you change the version message thing though, so my nms reflection-ing wasn't for nothing.

20. Offline

I Al Istannen

@AlvinB
    Yea. See my edit :) You just ninjad me :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.