How do DDOS' work?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by BMX_ATVMAN14, Jul 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

BMX_ATVMAN14

Hey guys can someone tell me how DOS and DDOS's work? I have a general idea of what it is, but I was going make a protection mode so only donors can join to prevent the attackers from joining. Then turn it off when the attack is over
    I was just wondering if that will prevent the server from crashing?
    Thanks,
    BMX

2. Offline

chaseoes

DOS and DDOS don't involve anyone joining.
    They simply flood the server with reqests (like pings) to the point where it can't keep up and usually crashes (or lags really bad).

3. Offline

JohnTheRipper

Aha, I'll go dig up my post on the subject.

4. Offline

BMX_ATVMAN14

So they do ping off the server, correct? They still enter the server, just not physically, so if I made it when I can turn on my Protection Mode, only donors can actually get into the server then the dos or ddos's will just spam my CMD Then when the attack is over I can just turn off my Protection mode.

5. Offline

ZachBora

It's not how it works. DDoS will use up your server network connection. The only way to counter it is by having higher bandwidth, aka faster internet upload and download speed.

Imagine your internet is a pipe, more requests = more water passing through. At some point, it clogs and can't pass everything. This means your server won't be receiving the requests your players are sending to it to join in the game as it is too clogged with the "ping" requests.

Edit: Another example is when a personality is trying to get to her car, the paparazzi are prevent that person from getting to her car.

Blairjam and afistofirony like this.
  6. Offline

BMX_ATVMAN14

Oh! Alright thanks!

7. Offline

chenr1

There are anti PWN4ng plugins. But to my knowledge there is no bukkit plugin that can top a DDOS attack. Or A DOS attack. Usually that is stopped by using a firewall. Hope I was Helpfull.

8. Offline

Deathmarine

9. Offline

TheBeast808

Depends on what kind of DoS the attacker is using.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.