How did you learn Bukkit?

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by DutchChris, May 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

DutchChris

Hello,

Second post of the day, sorry for that. I was wondering how everyone learned how to use bukkit so well. I've been trying to learn how to use it for a few weeks now, but I'm having trouble with making stuff myself. Whenever I see some code I usually understand how it works, but when I try to create something similar using the things I just saw I just can't get it to work. Do I just watch endless amounts of youtube videos hoping to learn something or is there a better way to do it? I want to stop bothering the forums everytime I get stuck and instead be able to help the others. Any advice would be very appreciated!

- DutchChris

2. Offline

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

@DutchChris Learned Java first, then I just started writing plugins, starting small, increasing in difficulty.
    Just trying, failing, trying something else.

3. Offline

Tango_

Unfortunately learning a language is a long tedious process of failures. What really got me learning was making a minigame plugin, using scoreboards and gameplay mechanics, at the time I thought it was a perfect plugin, but a year later I realised how terrible it was. Programmers at any level are always trying to improve, so start of with a project, no matter how hard and just try your best to get it finished and working, use google and find the best ways to do things. To learn anything you need to be attempting it frequently, so don't spend two days a month on it, rather spend a couple hours everyday and you will get there, remember that making mistakes doesn't mean you are failing, it means you are making progress.

4. Me and my friend wanted to make a minigames server. At first, it started off as a bukkit server with a bit of plugins and most of the game functions written with command blocks. I had about 10-15 plugins at that time and wanted to lower that number for some reason so I thought that I should try writing a plugin that could fully replace these plugins. As time went on, I realized so much more could be done with bukkit than just commands. Although I don't recommend it, this also taught me java, which I would say I have a good understanding of now. Ultimately the best way to learn is just by doing it yourself; the more time you decide to anything the better you will get at it. You shouldn't be just watching Youtube tutorials, you need to apply that knowledge somewhere else, in this case your plugin.

5. Offline

alant7_

You are always learning it. Try to do something, you get stuck - search for it on internet. Usually when I don't know how to do something I search for "bukkit coding " + the thing I am stuck on. Good luck!

6. Offline

Niv-Mizzet

@DutchChris I'm definitely not as good as all of these people^
    But I mainly learned from doing, and from the docs: https://hub.spigotmc.org/javadocs/bukkit/overview-summary.html
    I've also learned from the people here, who are amazing at plugin development.
    So basically, come up with a cool idea, try to turn it into reality, and if you get stuck,
    1. Use Bukkit.broadcastMessage() to debug your code.
    2. Go to the docs, and search up what you're trying to do and synonyms, and also follow the class structure.
    3. Ask a question here, and the nice people within this forum should help. Just remember, the people here are not here to spoonfeed, but to give information.

7. Offline

JerrickN

I agree with a lot of people on this page, who say that you should just throw yourself into something. You will always learn as you go! Work on a porject and continue to make it better because after learning something new, you might want to use it in your code to help improve it. Plugin development has been out for a looong time, and if you find an error you're pretty much guaranteed to find an old forum post that will help you. also have fun with this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.