Solved Hosting a CraftBukkit Server: Problems!

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Pyraxo, Jun 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Pyraxo

I've been hosting a server for a while (probably three months). It was a little friendly private server, with a static IP address, port-forwarded and everything. Until I moved house.

I was faced with a new router + modem (mainly because the old one was really old and almost spoilt) and my dad just bought me a new MacBook Pro (I was previously using a Windows PC). I thought I could easily port-forward since it was a Singtel-based router and Singtel networks were the easiest to port-forward (my opinion)

The old router model was of a 2Wire brand, while the new one is an of an Aztech brand (AzTech GR7000 or something). When I connected to the gateway to do the port-forwarding, the interface that came up was different, but I quickly found the Port-Forward option under the Firewall Configuration button.

I checked for my internal IP under System Preferences > Network. It was [192.168.1.3]. Thinking it would be a dynamic IP address (it may be, I'm not sure), I changed my Locations settings by creating a new one called 'Home' and then altering the IPv4 address to become 192.168.1.50 and left everything else the same.

I then port-forwarded the port 25565 for <192.168.1.50> and went to canyouseeme.org to test if the port was open. It was. Success?

I connected using my Minecraft account to the server but all the came out was this error:
    "Failed to connect to server: Connection refused".

Possible variables that caused this:
    1. There was a message that came on the Terminal when I failed to connect, but the IP address that failed to connect was 8.23.224.110, which was apparently a No-IP address. Weird, because I didn't use No-IP redirects except for my old IP. I used DtDNS for a redirect, but it didn't seem to work either, probably because the original IP wasn't working.

2. The new router and modem - I didn't use them before.

3. Mac VS PC

4. After I created a new location, when I used 'Automatic' again, my IP address changed to [192.168.1.8]

Can you guys help me? I'd really, really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

2. Offline

Bobcat00

I would start by checking your internal IP address again. If you're port forwarding to 192.168.0.50, you need to set your Mac to that IP address.

The other thing to check is to run Minecraft on another computer on your LAN, and make sure you can connect to 192.168.0.50.

Once you get this working, then move on to problems possibly associated with the external IP address.

3. Offline

Pyraxo

Thanks for the reply Bobcat! I've set my Mac to that IP address (192.168.1.50) and connected using another computer and my own, both doesn't seem to be able to connect to that specific external IP address. When I hosted a singleplayer world (and the multiplayer one) and tried to get the other computer to join, they couldn't. From the singleplayer world, it was hosted on IP 0.0.0.0. I haven't tried hosting the Bukkit server via LAN though. How may I be able to achieve that?

I'm not sure if it's a problem with the internal IP or external IP. Guess I'll have to remain server-less for now...

Anyway, thank you. :D

4. Offline

Lolmewn

Can people from outside your network connect to your server? If not, I'm going to guess firewall issue.

5. Offline

Pyraxo

Hi Lolmewn. I haven't actually asked any of my friends to join, but since computers in my network can't connect to my server, it may be something related to the router?

Thanks for the reply.

6. Offline

Lolmewn

Pyraxo It's either the router derping, or the firewall on that computer.

7. Offline

Pyraxo

Well, firewall is turned off from the Mac, and the port has been port-forwarded (it's open right now on canyouseeme.org).

8. Offline

Bobcat00

Port forwarding has NO effect when trying to connect from another computer on your LAN. Can you ping your server computer from within your LAN? What did you specify for an IP address in server.properties? (It should be blank.)

9. Offline

Pyraxo

I was able to ping the server computer from my computer and another computer within my LAN.
    Am I supposed to ping the external or internal IP address? I tried pinging my internal IP address and it didn't work, but when I was pinging my external IP address there were replies.

Today, someone came to my house to install a wireless extender which also essentially creates another network which I am using right now, along with my other computer. :/

I left the IP address blank in server.properties, although I used to put in my internal IP address in the past.

Does anyone know how to fix the problems? :/

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2016
  10. Offline

lokpique

It might not be a problem. Many routers these days prevent you from using the external address from inside the network (called a loopback connection). This is done to save bandwidth and for security reasons.

Try to get someone OUTSIDE of your network to connect using the external address. If it lets them then your problem is solved. While INSIDE the network you should use the local IP of the machine and only people outside should use the external one.

Disable the DHCP on the wireless router... and don't connect it to the network with the "WAN" or "INTERNET" port... instead, just plug it in with one of the standard Ethernet ports. This should make it work as a hub instead of a router and will effectively turn it into a hotspot without having the "network within a network" situation.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

11. Offline

Pyraxo

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I'm working on it to see if these steps can help.

Thanks again!

I'm using a MacBook Pro Retina, and it doesn't seem to have the Ethernet port to connect. Do I have to use an adapter of some sorts?

12. Offline

lokpique

You connect the laptop via wireless... only you hook the wireless router into the main network using one of it's own ethernet ports, and not it's external wan / internet port. (Disable it's DHCP). Prevents the "network inside a network" problem and keeps you connected to the one single gateway. I do this to add wifi hotspots to my home all the time.

13. Offline

Pyraxo

Mind = Blown

My Mac doesn't seem to have the Ethernet ports (that square-ish hole)? Disabling DHCP, do I have to set it to Static?
    The Aztech gateway interface is pretty confusing :/

14. Offline

lokpique

Keep your current network the way it is... it sounds like you are adding a second router to allow wifi. The second router should have the DHCP disabled on it so they don't try to fight over assigning addresses. Then plug it into the main router using one of the ports you normally plug a computer into (and not the port you normally plug the internet cable into).

15. Offline

Pyraxo

You mean the Lightning ports? What do you mean by an internet cable?
    Sorry I'm a hardware noob :(

16. Offline

jon_r12

You Running On 2 routers? a router and a modem/router?

if so please notify me so i can tell you what to do further ;)

Have Any Problems Contact Me On
    Name: Jon
    LastName: Rugova
    Or FaceBook (Jon Rugova) or Hotmail ([email protected])

17. Offline

Pyraxo

Thanks so much everyone for your help!
    I contacted the Aztech Support team and they asked me to do a couple o' things, such as listing my Mac down on the "manual devices reserve". Apparently it was to have a static IP address for my computer to be registered on the router.

Well lo and behold all of a sudden one of my friends joined after I told them to test out with a new IP address!
    The real downside is that I can't use my own external IP address to connect, but I could connect with localhost or internal IP address.

Thanks so much now! I will add 'Solved' to the thread.

Also, thanks jon_r12 for showing concern! I didn't read this thread until after I could connect to the server. But thank you :)

Pyraxo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.