High Priority: Re-add build number to Implementation-Version

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Acru, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Acru

In regards to this post: http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/detecting-craftbukkit-build-within-plugin-enable.4825/, I would like to respectfully suggest that the CraftBukkit build number is re-added to the end of the Implementation-Version string as soon as possible, before any more builds are made.

Currently builds 327 through 343 are missing this number, so the only way to find the build number is to lookup the truncated hash code via a table. (As far as I am aware.) As more builds are made, such a table will only get longer. Builds 231 through 326 had this number in the form -bXXX at the end of the string, making it simple to check the build version.

Thank you.

2. Offline

Plague

3. Offline

Acru

Its not a bug report, no, its not something in the code but rather in the bamboo build settings, or such.

As far as I know, its something only @lukegb can fix?
    --- merged: Feb 19, 2011 12:30 AM ---
    Perhaps I am wrong that its not in the source, just not in the code...

Found on the github in /pom.xml;
    <Implementation-Version>${describe}</Implementation-Version>​

where it used to say:

<Implementation-Version>${build.version}</Implementation-Version>​

I'm not sure if this is the correct fix to deal with the issue, however.
    --- merged: Feb 19, 2011 12:45 AM ---
    Ok, it seems from the comments on the change, it is the problem...

https://github.com/Bukkit/CraftBukkit/commit/8d1ca4ce0432c32b234a049997cafc264b0887fb#comments

4. Offline

Plague

Heh, way to act like ...
    Of course it's not good to depend on a build, but bukkit has no version right now, what gives, really...

5. Offline

lukegb

I may add it back in, but be warned: if I do so, the artifactory builds will have a different, and much lower, build number than the ones pulled from Bamboo, as Bamboo is not the system deploying them to Artifactory, and is soon to be shutdown.

Hence: depending on build number = bad.

6. Offline

Plague

Well no argument there, but what dou want us to tell people that say "I don't know what version I have, how to tell"? Manually checking the ending signature against the list?

7. Offline

TnT

I always download from the artifacts.lukegb.com page, specifically this link. The build number I see now is
    Code:
    2011-02-19 09:39:40 [INFO] This server is running Craftbukkit version git-Bukkit-jenkins-dev-CraftBukkit-35-b{36}jnks (MC: 1.2_01)
    which may get confusing, as we've gone through those build numbers before.

8. Offline

lukegb

Yup, expected behaviour, apart from the jenkins-dev-CraftBukkit-35 bit, which is an issue with our current setup which has just been resolved.

9. Offline

Acru

I don't intend to rely on the build number, just use it if it can be determined with certainty and related to a previously known feature set. Of course, once Server.getVersion() returns something more reliable, this will be an improvement.

When you do switch to a different build number sequence, do make it recognizably different from the old sequence. (Don't use -bXXX again.)

10. Offline

lukegb

It is -bXXX.

It is, however -bXXXjnks and bamboo (should) now be on -bXXXbmb.

11. Offline

Acru

Hmm, okay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.