High CPU and Memory Usage

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Zachar543, Aug 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Zachar543

1. CentOS 5.6
    2. x64
    3. Sun Java JDK 1.7
    4. RemoteToolkit (if that counts)
    5. Build 1000
    6. Several around the forums + Bare minimum (Xms and Xmx)
    7. Tried None and combinations of these: WorldGuard, WorldEdit, WorldBorders, Spout, SimpleReserve, OreObfuscation, Permissions 3.?, NoCheat, MultiVerse, MobDisguise, McMMO, MCBans, MagicSpells, LWC, LogBlock (and Questioner), Inception, iConomy, iChat-p3, FalseBook, CommandBook, CombatTag, Citizens, BlockHat, AdminMode
    8. Errors: None
    9. Tried:
      • Disabling mobs (Doesn't do much)
      • Several different startup settings (Doesn't seem to do much)
      • Using Default startup settings (Xms and Xmx) (Seems to be the worst for CPU usage)
      • Removing all plugins (Idles around 10-20% with just me online, Increases to 50-75% for 1-2 minutes after joining)
      • Doing all of the above at the same time
    10. Tried everything on that list

I run a 15 slot bukkit server on CentOS 5.6 VPS. I am having issues with CPU usage and Memory Usage.
    Server Specs:
    • 2GB Memory
    • 2.5 GHz CPU
    • 15 Slots
    • ~7 Online on average
    My server's CPU hovers around 50-60% usage when there are 4-6 players online. I have noticed that my memory usage increases as the day progresses and gets to about 74% (out of 1.75GB) usage by the 6 hour auto restart.

Even doing all of the above doesn't seem to help this issue. I have tried copying the entire server folder (except for the maps) to a VirtualPC on my computer (i7 3GHz, 3GB dedicated to the server) and it still seems to use a lot of CPU even when only one person is online.

I guess the final questions are: Is this something that happens to be wrong with bukkit at this time? Or is it something I may be doing wrong? (I consider myself a novice when it comes to server hosting) Is there anything that can be tested or fixed in my case?

2. Offline

ImminentFate

have you tried using GameBooster while running your server?It close every unneccessary program, which I find makes my server run better

3. Offline

Zachar543

It isn't hosted on my computer. I have a Linux VPS.

4. Offline

ImminentFate

5. Offline

JerriCop

This seems to be the case with a lot of users, try downgrading your bukkit build or talking to your host about it, I think it may be an issue with build 1000 =]

6. Offline

Zachar543

Thanks, I will try this!

Edit:
    I have tried as far back as 996 (Around the memory leak fix) and as far forward as 1041. None of them seem to help very much. While I'm here... What sould I be seeing (CPU Usage) when I join and when I are walking around?
    What have big servers done? (They only seem to have around 2.6-3 GHz and they hold a lot more?)

7. Offline

emericask8ur

But users are at updated 1.7.3 will have errors while connecting to you if you down grade build

8. Offline

Zachar543

Update:
    10/15 And it is hovering between 95 and 100% usage. What is happening here?

9. Offline

emericask8ur

Wow, Make sure useless programs arent running in the backround

10. Offline

Zachar543

Its running on a Linux VPS. Plus, java is using it all.

Now, every 15-20 seconds, java will drop to 1% CPU usage and the server lags then it shoots back to 98 or so.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2016
  11. Offline

Guardian787

I would also like to add to this forum post. I have never had problems with lag or this message before since I bought the game 3 or 4 weeks ago. I started my own server the day I got it and I play it with about an average of 5 or 6 friends at a time. However, 2 days ago it started to lag and spam my server console with "[WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?" I believe I have an excellent computer because it was able to run the server and game for weeks without that message or any lag. Also my computer is able to run Starcraft 2, Elder Scrolls, and also Battlefield 3 alpha test, all on ultra high graphic settings with no lag. I do have the latest version of Game-booster, Advanced System Care, and Bit-defender Total Security. I ran anti-virus, anti-malware, defrag, registry clean up, and all of that stuff that comes with those programs, I put Game-booster and Bit-defender in game mode before I start games and my server. None of that helped. I am using the latest version of craftbukkit but the problem started the day before the new version came out. Also I made sure I had the newest version of Java and also allocated 2048M to it and also set it as a high priority in the task manager processes. I have no idea what to do to fix it, all I know is that it was working perfectly for weeks up until 2 days ago. My computer specs are in the DxDiag below if it helps although I don't think my computer is the problem since I was able to run everything before along with the best selling newer games. Any help would be great, thanks.

Also, I think it would be a good time to request a performance and improvements category in the plugins list, for stuff that can help change and improve stuff that isn't really gameplay/mechanics, type of mods.

Attached Files:

12. Offline

Zachar543

Mine seems to have started around 2 days ago also... Though, I am not hosting my off of my computer.

Edit:
    That seems to be around the time that I installed Sun JDK 1.7. :(
    Could I have installed it wrong / Could it have been corrupted?
    I have heard so many good things about how much better it made servers run!

13. You know, Minecraft isn't the most cpu/ram friendly game. The server isn't either. If you run both on your pc it could get laggy. You should try just running the server, and playing the game from a different pc. It might be a problem with Notch's coding.

14. Offline

undeadmach1ne

you didnt specify what version of permissions exactly that you are using, but there is a well documented problem with mcmmo and permissions 3.1.6 causing high cpu usage for some people. try switching to permissions 3.1.5 and see if it keeps happening (if you arent already using that version).

15. Offline

Zachar543

Thanks, I will try this right now!
    Edit:
    Nope... That didn't do much. It may have helped a little though...

Are there any other known compatibility issues with the above plugins? Is there any plugins in my list known to take a lot of CPU?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

16. Offline

Guardian787

Yeah but the point is that I was able to run both on my one PC with no issues or lag at all since i have bought the game. Now two days ago it started with these issues. So thats what im trying to figure out and see if theres a way to fix it.

17. Offline

undeadmach1ne

i was just coming to see if you had any luck with that...too bad :( as for other plugins i have seen people crying about citizens eating a bit of cpu/ram if you have tons and tons of them spawned all over the place (i guess they keep chunks loaded or something). i just started using it last night to test some npc questing plugins so i only have one so far and he isnt killing my server. he is just a basic too...no traders or anything fancy yet so i can imagine him having a negative effect on my server at this point.

beyond that i cant offer you any advice...oh wait. is your start.bat set up to give bukkit enough ram? ok now im out lol :) good luck.

18. Offline

MikeA

It is most likely your VPS host. Maybe others on the server are hogging resources by using abusive scripts/programs on their VPS?

Contact your host, complain to them - that is the only solution.

19. Offline

Zachar543

We have 12 NPCs in 4 tight clumps. They are of almost all types.. Not sure if this would eat this much.

Would that cause my java process take 100% of MY part of the CPU?

20. Offline

MikeA

Maybe your VPS host sucks, oversells their resources and doesn't monitor the usage for users?

21. Offline

Zachar543

I have been using this host for 3 months... They do not oversell.

22. Offline

MikeA

In a three month period, they could have added more clients to that node that you are hosted on.

23. Offline

Zachar543

Also, Its a Xen VPS... Not exactly easy to oversell

24. Offline

Trollkemada

Did you try running with no plugins? If the CPU is still going >90% with no plugins, i would say is the VPS provider.
    Also, if may be helpfull if you do /worldguard report -p ingame and post here the link :)

25. Offline

Zachar543

http://pastebin.com/vCawtivt <-- Is the WG Report. Is there suppose to be 625 chunks loaded in each world?
    It seems to jump to 90% when there are atleast 2 people online. It doesn't seem to stay there though, It changes a lot.

Edit:
    Hmm... It doesn't seem to be doing it right now... Though it is still high for 2 people (50% or so)

26. OMG Dude this is the exact same spec as my vps. i use remote tool kit, 2gb ram, 15 slots, 7-8 online average. and i have extremly high CPU usage. i use sunjava 7 ive tried with sunjava 7, 6 and openjdk. all the same, even with no plugins

27. Offline

Zachar543

Great, It's nice to know I'm not alone in this issue! Well... it would be better if we weren't sharing a really annoying issue...

Do you have CentOS 5.6?

I have tried this on a Virtual PC on my computer and it still seems to happen (with CentOS 5.6) Could this be an issue with CentOS?

28. that would be alot better. in fact, i can tell you when my issue started.
    My VPS used to use about 0.2-0.8 on the cpu meter in SolusVM. then my provider did a kernal upgrade and it shot up to about 30-40 obviously, getting complained at immediatly i had to sort something out. so i installed openjdk because all the other servers that used openjdk on my provider work fine with no lag. (i do run apache and mysql on the same vps :L) but that made my vps think there was no java installed at all!

So i started from scratch, new vps. transferred all worlds over, brand new bukkit, sunjava 7. great, thinking its going to work perfect. 5-10 on the cpu meter. :mad:
    it used to be a massive RAM leak in bukkit, now its a massive CPU leak :(

29. Offline

Zachar543

I am going to see if it does this on my computer (Windows 7) and if it does... Attempt to get my java profiler to work.

30. before i had the VPS i run it on my pc. 8 players, about 30% of my cpu. and i have a crap processor. celeron dual core. it might sound pretty good, but it is very slow! i did start the server with the same ram too 512M - 768M

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.