Problem/Bug Help with the error: FAILED TO BIND TO PORT... Perhaps a server is already running on that port?

Discussion in 'General Help' started by swimmer, Jan 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

swimmer

I am having a major problem with this error...

Run.bat screen:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Loading libraries, please wait...
    [18:06:53 INFO]: Starting minecraft server version 1.7.10
    [18:06:53 INFO]: Loading properties
    [18:06:53 INFO]: Default game type: CREATIVE
    [18:06:53 INFO]: Generating keypair
    [18:06:54 INFO]: Starting Minecraft server on (MY IP):25565
    [18:06:54 WARN]: **** FAILED TO BIND TO PORT!
    [18:06:54 WARN]: The exception was: java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address: bind
    [18:06:54 WARN]: Perhaps a server is already running on that port?
    [18:06:54 INFO]: Stopping server
    [18:06:54 INFO]: Stopping server
    >Press any key to continue . . .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I type in my ip in the Server Ip area in Server.Properties, that is what the screen comes up as in run.bat. Here are things I've tried that didn't work:

• Change the server port from 25565 to something else
    • Stop all processes that use java
    • Use no ip
    • Let Minecraft go through the Firewall
    All of these things I found various times on tutorials all over, yet they never worked! The only thing that has worked is changing the server ip to my IPv4 address, but that makes it so only people who are in my house/using my wifi can access the server... I try using my ip again, and it does the same thing. I try everything again, and it still won't work. When I use my IPv4 address I can get on my server, and everything is fine, except that people MUST be using MY wifi to go on. I want to find out why this isn't working and if it can be fixed. Please post any solutions in the comments, feel free to tell me if I forgot anything, and try not to get too mad at me if I say something like, "I've done that too, I must have forgot to put it on the post... Oops!" Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I had to black out my ip for security reasons, so where you see "(MY IP)" it means that is where my ip was on the run.bat screen, I just didn't want anyone to have access to it.

2. Offline

Tecno_Wizard

@swimmer, let me guess, you set the server IP in the properties. Delete whatever you put in it and leave it blank.

3. Offline

17xDillz1997

Change the port to 25566 and start it. If this is a hosting company via a panel such as multicraft, it will change back but start.

4. Offline

swimmer

@Tecno_Wizard then where would I put my ip?

Thnx, I'll try that

Sadly, it didn't work...

I'll try it anyway

Also, what will people type in to get on my server?

I tried it, and when people try to go on my server who are using my wifi, they can't get on. The run.bat worked, but it keeps their screen as loading... The ip I used was (MY IP):25566. It wasn't working yet for me, I used just :25566 and I could connect, but that was on my computer. It wouldn't work on my other computer without the server.

EDIT by Timtower: merged posts

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2015
  5. Offline

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

@swimmer Your only warning: don't double post. Use the edit button instead.

6. Offline

Tecno_Wizard

@swimmer, as I said earlier, just leave the field totally blank. Players will type in the computer's IP4, which can be found by using the command prompt and the command ipconfig.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  7. Offline

swimmer

What do you mean, when did I double post?

Wait, did you mean like this where I edit the original reply instead of replying twice?

Ohhh! Okay, thank you so much! I'll try it!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2015
  8. Offline

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

@swimmer That is exactly what I mean, yet you double post again.

9. Offline

swimmer

When did I double post? I fixed it when I did!

10. Offline

Experminator

@swimmer You don't need to specify your ip address in a configuration file.
    Only the port. If the server is started you can access the server with your ip + the port.

I think another server is running at that port in the background. You can check it in the Task Panel.

11. Offline

swimmer

Thanks everyone, it's working now! Thanks again so much!

12. Offline

Experminator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.