[Help] Optimizing Windows 2k8 R2 - Java -McMyAdmin - Bukkit

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by FuRiouSOne, Feb 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

FuRiouSOne

Hello, I have been running a server for roughly 3 months now and have moved up to purchasing my own dedicated server box and am in need of help optimizing it to run Minecraft through McMyAmin. So far i have installed java, mcmyadmin, bukkit 1846 and all plugins and everything runs fine but the memory slowly climbs and doesnt seen to get dumped when players log off. Here are all the specs i have including my mcmyadmin config file.

If you need a list of all plugins that can be provided but i do not get any errors in the logs on boot up or any time while they server is running so plugins is not an issue.

Bukkit R3 1846
    McMyAdmin v0.9.7.6, Professional edition.
    Windows 2008 R2 sp2 x64 bit
    Dual Quad Xeon L5420 @2.5GHz
    DDR2 RAM 8GB
    java 6 update 30 (i will be getting java 7, i didnt pay attention when i installed /facepalm)

Current config of McMyAdmin:

Code:
    java.path=detect

java.useIKVM=0

java.IKVMpath=IKVM/ikvm.exe

java.vm=client

java.gc=default

java.customopts=

java.memory=6144

server.failurelimit=5

monitoring.loglevel=2

server.bukkitcompat=1
    Screen shot of my McMyAdmin in operation: Notice the RAM sitting at 4GB/6GB When normally should be around 1-1.5GB with only 15ish players online.

[​IMG]

Basically its mostly default and only added in my ram, user/pass and license key. the settings listed above is more so what i need help with as i know there should be more then just default in the java.gc config to help with garbage collection and java.

If anyone can help me optimize this i would be very happy to hear some input. If there is any more detailed info needed i will be happy to provide it and edit this post.

Thanks.

2. Offline

h0us3cat

What java flags are you using?
    How long did the server run when it hit 4gb ram?

3. Offline

FuRiouSOne

No flags. default java and McMyAdmin installation
    About 2-3 hours

It is currently still running and has dropped down to 2.8GB ram with 6 players online now.

Back when i ran on a hosted VPS with 3GB ram mcmyadmin would report using 1.5GB'ish with 25-30 players online so i have something not set right in my dedicated setup and was looking for help with.

4. Offline

h0us3cat

I cant smell what the defaults are for mcmyadmin...

5. Offline

FuRiouSOne

Made a small change in my mcmyadmin config and seems to work the way i want it now.

Changed:
    java.gc=default
    to
    java.gc=concurrent

You can see the difference in ram usage below compared to the original post. Server has been running strong since the change (12 hours'ish).

I did try:
    java.gc=aggressive

that seemed to be heavier ram usage then the default and something i didnt like seeing.

[​IMG]

Anyone else use McMyAdmin and have some optimization tips i would love to hear form you.

6. Offline

MiHo

"concurrent" <= Garbe Collector uses multiple threads to clean up the RAM, useful if you have a multi-core CPU.
    "aggressive" <= means higher CPU load, caused by more aggressive memory clean up, only useful if you have less RAM but a strong CPU

I wouldn't recommend using aggressive, since most people has enough RAM but a weak CPU. (Do not forget, that Minecraft use only one core!)

7. Offline

FuRiouSOne

I am currently using concurrent and everything has been fine.

I tried aggressive and didnt like how high the ram got so switched to concurrent.

Dedicated server runs:
    Dual quad hypertown Xeon L5420 CPUs 2.5GHz
    8 GB Ram (6GB used for minecraft)

Thanks for replying (a bit late but all the same), i am very happy using concurrent i havnt even tried the other 2 and the server has been running strong for a while now.

8. Offline

Niall7459

This Works Great, Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.