Solved Help Configuring Server Ranks

Discussion in 'Plugin Help/Development/Requests' started by ThePerfectoPiggy, Mar 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi, everyone! :)

I'm ThePerfectoPiggy, an avid Minecraft player who recently started a Craftbukkit server. There aren't many players on the server at the moment, but as more may join soon I felt the need to establish a proper Rank System consisting of different levels of staff members along with the default "Members".

I am using the following plugins to create/configure my ranks:

- RankDisplayNames (http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/rankdisplaynames/)
    - PowerRanks (http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/powerranks/)
    - Essentials (https://hub.spigotmc.org/jenkins/job/Spigot-Essentials/)

However, PowerRanks may be serving no purpose and is just there in my plugins folder. :( (I'm not quite sure about this.)

I plan to have seven or eight ranks for my server eventually (most of which are not important at the moment as I can configure them later). The ones I am concerned about right now are, Member (the default rank for all members of my server) and Owner (a rank for myself exclusively).

I have the Owner rank (ranks.membership.Owner) permissions defined in the permissions.yml file in Notepad++ with the following:

Code:
    ranks.membership.Owner:
        description: All permissions for the Owner of [Server Name] (Me).
        default: op
        children:
            commandbook.*: true
            ranks.membership.Owner: true
            bconomy.user.*: true
            bconomy.admin.*: true
            ChestShop.shop.*: true
            ChestShop.admin.*: true
            coreprotect.*: true
            cursenomore.clearchat: true
            essentials.*: true
            liftsign.normal.use: true
            liftsign.normal.create: true
            lwc.protect: true
            lwc.mod: true
            lwc.admin: true
            lwc.admin.remove: true
            powerranks.cmd.help: true
            powerranks.cmd.check: true
            powerranks.cmd.set: true
            powerranks.cmd.reload: true
            preciousstones.benefit.*: true
            preciousstones.whitelist.*: true
            preciousstones.bypass.*: true
            preciousstones.translocation.*: true
            preciousstones.alert.*: true
            preciousstones.admin.*: true
            preciousstones.override.*: true
            stargate.*: true
            warpcore.*: true
            scc.*: true

Likewise, the Member rank (ranks.Membership.Member) permissions are defined with the following:

Code:
    ranks.membership.Member:
        description: All permissions for the Members (Default) of [Server Name].
        default: true
        children:
            ranks.membership.Member: true
            bconomy.user.*: true
            bconomy.admin.money: true
            ChestShop.shop.*: true
            essentials.time: true
            essentials.balance: true
            essentials.balance.others: true
            essentials.balancetop: true
            essentials.pay: true
            essentials.afk: true
            essentials.afk.auto: true
            essentials.help: true
            essentials.mail: true
            essentials.mail.send: true
            essentials.me: true
            essentials.msg: true
            essentials.realname: true
            essentials.back.ondeath: true
            essentials.tpa: true
            essentials.tpaccept: true
            essentials.tpahere: true
            essentials.build.*: true
            liftsign.normal.use: true
            liftsign.normal.create: true
            lwc.protect: true
            preciousstones.benefit.*: true
            preciousstones.whitelist.*: true
            stargate.use: true
            warpcore.warp: true
            warpcore.warplist: true
            warpcore.signwarp: true
            scc.join: true
    My goal here is to make it so that I am the sole owner of the server (I am opped to Level 4 in the ops.json file if it makes a difference) and have every new player on my server automatically be a Member upon joining. However, when I reloaded the game I noticed that in chat my name was green with <Member> as a prefix. (This applies to the current players who should be members as well, so at least they are configured correctly... maybe? :confused:)

To attempt fixing this, I added another permission in permissions.yml to specifically give myself Owner Permissions:

Code:
    users:
        ThePerfectoPiggy:
            permissions:
            - ranks.membership.Owner: true
            groups:
            - Owner
    One issue I see is that there is a pesky section of permissions in my Essentials Userdata file that I cannot get rid of or modify. Every time I attempt to modify it and reload the server, it defaults back to what it was. This may very well be conflicting with the permissions set in the bukkit.yml file:

Code:
    ranks:
      membership:
        Owner:
          description: All permissions for Owners of [Server Name].
          default: op
          children:
            commandbook:
              broadcast: true
              teleport: true
              kick: true
              ban: true
            ranks:
              membership:
                owner: true
    Yes, I am aware that these permissions do not have all of the permissions defined earlier. I have attempted to delete the preexisting ones and copy the newer ones into the file. My results have been unsuccessful as it has defaulted to the above every time.

However, the permissions for Members set in the permissions.yml and Essentials Userdata file (seem to) work perfectly fine in changing their display names and command abilities in-game. I will use one of my server members' permissions as an example:

Code:
    ranks:
      membership:
        Member:
          description: All permissions for the Members (Default) of [Server Name].
          default: true
          children:
            ranks:
              membership:
                Member: true
            bconomy:
              user:
                '*': true
              admin:
                money: true
            ChestShop:
              shop:
            easywarp:
              command:
                warp: true
                listwarps: true
                help: true
              sign:
                use: true
              warp:
                <warpname>: true
            liftsign:
              normal:
                create: true
            lwc:
              protect: true
            preciousstones:
              benefit:
              whitelist:
            stargate:
            warpcore:
              warp: true
              warplist: true
              signwarp: true
            scc:
              join: true

Any help figuring out this dilemma or at least advice in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. :D

~ThePerfectoPiggy

2. Update:

I have installed and set up PermissionsEX and that seems to be solving most of my problems, fortunately. I still have my RankDisplayNames plugin to add a colored name and prefix to players, but I was wondering if all of this could be done in PEX. If anyone has been successful with creating a colored prefix and name in PEX or has an answer for me, I would be happy to hear it.

Thank you,

~ThePerfectoPiggy

3. Offline

myaumix_

With colored name and prefix you mean in the chat?

4. @myaumix_

Yes, that is exactly what I want. :D I apologize if I was not clear enough. Have you had any success with doing this in PermissionsEX?

When I set up the ranks on my server I did not add a prefix in chat to any of them because of the plugin I have that displays a colored name and prefix, but I am not able to nickname players without messing up the colors so I was wondering if I could do away with the plugin entirely.

5. Offline

Z_Awezomenezz

I to have been trying to figure this out, I have been following this everyday, and am waiting. I have it all set up. I just can't figure out the command to give myself rank Owner. Any Help is appreciated!​

6. Luckily for you, I have learned how to create and give players ranks using PermissionsEX. :) I just have not experimented with the prefixes yet because the other plugin I use, RankDisplayNames, works well.

First of all, make sure that the group Owner is defined in the PermissionsEX permissions file. If you haven't done this already, you can type in the console (without any spaces at the beginning) : pex group Owner create

In order for this to work, I think you need to have Essentials Chat Manager or some other chat managing plugin. I have Essentials Chat Manager and it works for me.

Then, you need to define permissions for the rank. To do so, type in the console, replacing the brackets with the desired permission node: pex group Owner add [Permission]

For your default group (if you choose to have one), you will have to type in every permission you want your default group to have. You should be able to find the permission nodes on the plugin's webpage. If you have groups that have the same permissions as the default group and more, you can use inheritance.

Let's say that you, the Owner, want to have permissions to do everything. In the console, you would type:
    pex group Owner add *

The '*' gives the specified group every permission for every plugin the server has.

Now, let's say that you want to make the Owner group exempt from a permission. Do:
    pex group Owner add -[permission]

Below is the answer to your question. I did not answer this first because I was not sure if you had followed all the previous steps. To set a user to a certain group, type in the console:
    pex user [username] group set [Group]

In this situation, you would replace [username] with your Minecraft username and [group] with Owner.

There are many more things you can do with PermissionsEx, which I am not going to go into detail about unless you would like more detail, but I would check out this amazing guide on how to use PermissionsEx I linked below. It is one of the best guides I have read and it really helped me learn how to create/configure permissions for my server.

http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/permissionsex/forum/69393-basic-permissions-ex-tutorial/

I hope this helped! :D

~ThePerfectoPiggy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.