Guidelines: How to get your submissions approved. (Updated: March 16, 2014)

Discussion in 'BukkitDev Information and Feedback' started by pyraetos, Feb 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

pyraetos

2. Offline

Jozeth

What if the site had, http://www.godaddy.com/security/website-security.aspx or http://www.mcafeesecure.com/us/

3. Offline

TnT

4. Offline

Jozeth

? I meant the developer's site, if you think I meant Bukkit

5. Offline

TnT

I am sorry, I do not understand your request. If the developers site had antivirus measures on it, that's great. It does not change where we allow files to be downloaded from, as we cannot check over the file offered on the remote site. We do not just check for virus code, or malicious behavior that affects the OS, we also check for malicious behavior that affects your CraftBukkit server.

Jozeth likes this.
  6. Offline

Jozeth

Good point

7. Offline

pyraetos

Also, a virus scanner obviously wouldn't consider a plugin which sets op to players as malware. Things like that are what we're primarily concerned about, not viruses.

Jozeth likes this.
  8. Offline

The_Fool76

You need to update your section on texture packs to include the apparently new requirement that they have the resolution in the title.

Also, some better documentation linking to the rules of texture pack submissions would be nice. What you have here is good but it's not easily discovered. I only stumbled across it because I was looking for a place to complain about the fact that there wasn't a clear write up of requirements for texture packs. :-/ Putting a link here from the texture pack submission page would be greatly appreciated.

Last but not least updating these guides to add the pack requirements might be a good idea:
    http://www.curse.com/faqs/texture-pack-packaging-and-bukkit-faq
    http://wiki.bukkit.org/BukkitDev:Project_Submission_Guidelines

You may also want to link this thread in your post on the Minecraft forums.

Anyway, I'll give you all a few days then we can do round three with another one of my 16x packs. (I have seven of them currently.) Here is hoping we can get this down to only having to submit for review once. ;)

9. Offline

TnT

I'll be adding this to the document.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/10WJeNHpRhFsRA_-4AEqPfzPiUAfjYnt1yL1aNxjD4ks/edit

These are new guidelines we've just worked out, literally, within the last week. I will have it added ASAP.

Edit: Added it to this post. Curse is adding it to their site. The wiki and this post need to be merged into a single source of information still, hence not being completely up to date on the wiki yet.

10. Offline

The_Fool76

Yay! Thank you.

Out of curiosity, why the need for appending the version to the file name? Isn't that covered via the version drop down when uploading a file?

11. Offline

Jacek

I asked TnT the same thing :p The Curse client does not make use of the version dropdown at the moment and people will want to know which version their texture pack is for before they download it so as a temporary solution the version has to be in the name.

12. Offline

The_Fool76

Ah, that makes sense. Well here is hoping they get that sorted out before the texture pack stuff gets too populated.
    Probably would be a good idea to also add a drop down for the pack resolution and pull that over to the client as well rather than just using the title. (Database queries can be better optimized if that info has it's own field.)

13. Offline

TnT

Officially the Curse client only supports 16x texture packs. However, those users who have already patched their client for use with larger texture packs (or 16x texture packs that require patching), the Curse client works fantastically to download any resolution texture packs.
    So in short, yes this means you will need to maintain multiple projects if you run a multi resolution texture pack (16x, 32x, 64x, etc) but it was a good compromise in the meantime to support larger texture packs in dev.bukkit.org, while still being very clear to Curse Client users what exactly they are getting.

The_Fool76 likes this.
  14. Offline

The_Fool76

I (or rather my wife) just noticed a problem with prefixing the name of the project with the resolution. It breaks the filtering options on the Bukkit website. When you click on the [m] you will not see Mooncraft listed because the pack name now starts with an '[' instead of an 'm'.
    http://dev.bukkit.org/texture-packs/?letter=m

Dunno if I'd call it a critical issue but figured I'd mention it just the same. ;)

15. Offline

TnT

The_Fool76
    Good point. In this case, it would make more sense to have it after the project name instead. Good catch.
    Grugsy - FYI, I think you'd like this change to :)

Changelog

Aug 22nd, 2012:
    Texture Packs:
    • Added Texture Pack Guidelines (Aug 21, 2012)
    • Modified Texture Pack Guidelines to rectify this concern.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2016
  16. Offline

Grugsy

good catch Mrs. The_Fool76 ! (glad to have you guys here!) I just updated my project titles to match.

and thanks for the heads up TnT!

17. Offline

TnT

Changelog
    August 27, 2012:
    • Clarified config file options for auto-updaters and update check mechanisms.

18. Offline

Lolmewn

w00t, my plugin as example :D

Shame I didn't get an alert for that when the OP wrote it, but k :)

np98765 likes this.
  19. Offline

Neodork

How about linking to development builds after the project was approved? I have been searching a while and got slightly confused by this rule. Found some stuff saying you're not allowed to directly link to new download because it has to be approved first. Let's say your project has been approved and you want to provide people with development builds. Are you allowed to link (directly link) to development builds on your DBO page?

20. Offline

TnT

Development builds can be linked to via a Jenkins (CI). However, this should not stop you from regularly uploading your builds to dev.bukkit.org. If you feel your development builds are of a quality high enough for public consumption, upload them to dev.bukkit.org. If you are in a period of rapid development due to implementing a ton of features or fixing a ton of bugs, you should be uploading a build every couple of days so the entire community can benefit.

Neodork likes this.
  21. Offline

TnT

22. Offline

mbaxter ʇıʞʞnq ɐ sɐɥ ı

The changelog above has been updated with a download link policy clarification.

23. Offline

bobacadodl

Just wondering.... how does BuyCraft get around this policy? If this is true, shouldn't buy craft be not allowed?

24. Offline

TnT

Please read the Buycraft dev.bukkit.org page again. I've read it over again, and this is what I see:
    Buycraft as they showcase on dev.bukkit.org is completely free to use. They are not getting around any policy.

25. Offline

bobacadodl

Yes, I agree that they advertise it as free, but to use some features, such as additional commands to execute whenever someone donates, you need to pay for a premium membership... Are we allowed to this sort of thing with our plugins? Again, I highlight this quote: "or any extra service related to your plugin that requires payment"

26. Offline

Jozeth

Well isn't your information stored on their databases and to keep it up, they would offer better service to people who pay. - Don't quote me on that.

27. Offline

bobacadodl

I know and I understand that. It goes against the plugin guidelines though, doesn't it? They are offering extra services to people who pay. I'm just trying to understand why it is allowed to do what buy craft is doing.

28. Offline

Jozeth

The software (plugin) is free of charge. So I think it's alright.

29. Offline

bobacadodl

In that case the submission guidelines should be reworded, because they say "Selling a license for your plugin or any extra service related to your plugin that requires payment is not allowed."

drtshock likes this.
  30. Offline

TnT

They are not selling it through BukkitDev. What they show on BukkitDev is free for use, and do not mislead anyone by suggesting features that do not come with their free version.

bobacadodl likes this.
  31. Offline

bobacadodl

So I assume that I am allowed to do the same? Can I put a free version of a plugin on bukkitdev with an exact description of what it does, and sell a paid version of the plugin with more features on my website?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.