Getting Started with Java & Making Plugins for Minecraft

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by arkaman, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

arkaman

Hello I am looking for some good information on starting to work with java and Minecraft plug-ins. I have good knowledge about computers (I work at a computer repair shop) and with some programing. I learned basic five years ago and have dabbled in other programing languages after that. I was wondering for people who make plug-ins now. How did they get started what resources did they use? I am a person who likes to work towards a goal like I want to make a java plug-in for Minecraft. I don't like thinking I will learn java then I will make a plug-in for Minecraft. I like to learn as I go. Anyways and information or tips would be great. Thanks for your time. Now I am off to work, BBL.

2. Offline

streedie

Check the wiki and google for java...

3. Offline

paletas

Not getting to know a bit about java and object-oriented programming before starting to develop plugins will result in poor plugins. If I remember right Basic isn't an object-oriented language so there is stuff you might not understand right away.

4. Offline

Samkio

5. Offline

Agitpropist

Abandon all hope all ye who enter.... [​IMG]

I'm also trying to transition from other 'primitive' languages to Java. Could you recommend any good tutorials on Java and OOP? OOP just seems so daunting, like there's so much extra stuff! Classes, methods, instances! Where are my functions, modules, and variables!!!! Is OOP so different from procedural programming? Is there a way to learn these foreign concepts?

6. Offline

paletas

OOP will be quite easy once you get a hang of it, it's much more "similar" to the basic structures of life itself..

You want a class that represents a Human, now depending on level of detail you might want that can have references to other classes that represent "smaller" parts of the Person.. Like Legs and Arms that can be derived from Members, Head and so on..

I don't really know any tutorials but Oracle has some available and since they now own Sun the "maker" of Java they must be somewhat good.

http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/

And yes, OOP is quite different from procedural programming but once you get a hang of it, like I said before, it will be quite easy to work with.

And any doubts you might have feel free to send me a message, I will try to explain what I can.

7. Offline

soundwaveninja

i tried making a simple basic minecraft plugin with eclipse, but i got loads of errors, and it was just a welcome message!, its stupid, i even tried to copy a person making a plugin exactly what they did , still got errors, D:

8. Offline

john55223

He not only tells you how to make it, he explains the code, and gives good examples when neeeded

9. Offline

noonzark

iv watched one video on making a plugin this is what comes up in terminal
    09:23:04 [SEVERE] Could not load 'plugins/one.jar' in folder 'plugins'
    org.bukkit.plugin.InvalidPluginException: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.noonzark.one
    at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader.loadPlugin(JavaPluginLoader.java:150)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.loadPlugin(SimplePluginManager.java:287)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.loadPlugins(SimplePluginManager.java:211)
    at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.loadPlugins(CraftServer.java:207)
    at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.<init>(CraftServer.java:183)
    at net.minecraft.server.ServerConfigurationManager.<init>(ServerConfigurationManager.java:53)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.init(MinecraftServer.java:156)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:425)
    at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:490)
    Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.noonzark.one
    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:202)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.java.PluginClassLoader.findClass(PluginClassLoader.java:41)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.java.PluginClassLoader.findClass(PluginClassLoader.java:29)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)
    at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
    at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:247)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader.loadPlugin(JavaPluginLoader.java:139)
    ... 8 more
    can someone help if i need to send the eclipse info/class what have done to it or what im missing that would be great thx

10. Offline

KILL3RTACO

it seems as though the class com.noonzark.one doesnt exist. if the class is called 'One' you need to make sure it says main: com.noonzark.One

capitalization is extremely important in java

11. Offline

1800gamez

i tried to create a plugin with eclipse, but i kept on getting error messeges. i know about fixing capital letters and stuff but it was to confusing. anyone know any other good programs or tutorial videos to check out?

12. Offline

the_merciless

I used java tuts on youtube by "thenewboston" and also "samkio" who is up there ^^^. Took me about 5 evenings to get the basics of java and im now coding a hg plugin (with alot of help on here) so i think im doing well.

13. Offline

liversnaprocks

Can anyone simply post a link to the simplest java developer version available for a programming noob?

14. learnstreet.com
    codeacademy.com

15. Offline

Compressions

hankered likes this.
  16. Offline

chasechocolate

How the heck does this thread have so many views o_o

jthort likes this.
  17. Compressions Whats wrong with these sites they are decent sites i was just listing them so people could use them for basic exercises and projects with java.

18. Offline

Tirelessly

This thread is 2.5 years old.

19. For anyone who comes across like the way i did google.

20. Offline

Eats_Rainbows

When I first started plugin I didn't know Java and didn't to care learn it. In result my plugins and code was very poor and I couldn't understand my errors as paletas has said. After a bit of that I said enough and started to learn Java.

21. Offline

Pawnguy7

I was wondering that as well. Lots of google hits perhaps?

22. Offline

5dys

... 10 more
    How about this?

23. Offline

hankered

5dys

This thread is over 2 years old.

But, your error is:

Code:java
    1. Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: package me.test

24. Offline

5dys

hankered
    thank you so much bro, im new right here!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.