Getting location relative to player's direction

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by Chr0mosom3, Jan 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Chr0mosom3

How would I go around getting locations relative to player's current direction he is looking. I cannot use x and y values since they are not dependent on where the player is looking. I am trying to spawn armor stands over there.

I am trying to spawn armor stands at the red boxes:
    upload_2021-1-28_16-41-7.png
    Using location.clone().add(xOffset, yOffset, zOffset) would work over here, but how would I do it in a situation like this:
    upload_2021-1-28_16-42-23.png
    Over here the player isn't looking at a certain direction and it would be impossible to get the coordinates using offsets.

Another question, how would I get the block NW of the player specifically (hilighted in green):
    upload_2021-1-28_16-43-30.png

2. Offline

Kars

You can use LivingEntity#getTargetBlock and from there figure out the direction relative to the players location.

3. Offline

Chr0mosom3

@Kars
    What exactly is getTargetBlock? If it's the croshair position, then I don't think that's too useful, in the examples the player was looking down, but that was just so I could get the top view of the blocks, in an actual scenario the player could be looking wherever.
    How exactly would I do that?

4. Offline

Kars

getTargetBlock returns the block where the player is looking. Blocks have a location that you can compare with the players location. That way you can deduce the general direction in which the player is looking.

Edit:
    Probably better to use Player#getLocation#getDirection

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  5. Offline

Chr0mosom3

How would I do either of those options

Sent from my motorola one vision using Tapatalk

6. Offline

Kars

Read the documentation for getDirection or getYaw.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.