Solved Getting 5 nearest entities?

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by marshmallowz, Jun 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

marshmallowz

I know there is the getNearbyEntities method but I don't want all the nearest entities I just want to select 5 random ones. Anyone know how to go about doing this? All help is appreciated :)

2. Offline

Gater12

marshmallowz
    getNearbyEntities returns list of entity. Just choose five values at random indexes.

3. Offline

marshmallowz

Gater12
    I can't wrap my head around how to do this, if it won't be much trouble can you show me an example?

4. Offline

NathanWolf

5. Offline

marshmallowz

NathanWolf
    I've never used that method before, can you help me?

6. Offline

thecrystalflame

Code:java
    2. List<Entity> ents = new ArrayList<Entity>();
    3. for (int i = 0; i < 5; i++) {
    4. Entity nearest = null;
    5. for (Entity ent : player.getNearbyEntities()) {
    6. if (nearest != null) {
    7. if (ent.getLocation().distance(player.getLocation() < nearest.getLocation().distance(player.getLocation)) {
    8. nearest = ent;
    9. }
    10. } else {
    11. nearest = ent;
    12. }
    13. }
    14. ents.add(nearest);
    15. }

7. Offline

marshmallowz

thecrystalflame
    The getNearbyEntities takes 3 parameters of the x,y,z for the range

8. Offline

NathanWolf

I pretty much spelled it out there.... I don't like to spoonfeed, but I guess here:

Code:
    Collection<Entity> nearby = player.getNearbyEntities(16, 16, 16);
    Collections.shuffle(nearby);

Entity randomEntity1 = nearby.get(0);
    Entity randomEntity2 = nearby.get(1);
    Entity randomEntity3 = nearby.get(2);
    Entity randomEntity4 = nearby.get(3);
    Entity randomEntity5 = nearby.get(4);

9. Offline

garbagemule

thecrystalflame

Spoonfeeding is detrimental to learning, especially without any kind of explanation, and even moreso when you're spoonfeeding unnecessarily inefficient and hard-to-grok code. There is absolutely no reason to call getNearbyEntities five times. Besides, your algorithm selects the five nearest, not five random, out of the set of nearby entities. Not only that, it also calls the inefficient distance method several times for what seems like no real reason.

For the purpose of selecting five entities at random in a list, shuffling and then popping the first (or last) five elements of the list is the cleanest way to do it (as suggested by NathanWolf), however generating five random indices would work equally well (and may be faster, depending on how big the list is in the average case, since random number generation is expensive, and the shuffle method runs in asymptotic linear time, whereas five random numbers is asymptotic constant time, both with random number generation as a constant factor).

NathanWolf
    A minor detail to humans, but paramount to the compiler, is that the shuffle method takes a List, not a Collection, and the Collection interface has no get method :3

NathanWolf likes this.
  10. Offline

marshmallowz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.