[FUN] MobArena v0.96.8 - Become a mob-fighting gladiator! [1.7.x, 1.8.x]

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Releases' started by garbagemule, May 30, 2011.

1. Offline

garbagemule

[​IMG]

MobArena - Become a mob-fighting gladiator!
    [​IMG] Latest build: v0.96.7 (1.7.x)
    [​IMG] Wiki
    [​IMG] IRC Channel
    [​IMG] Source

BukkitDev Project Page - Find MobArena on dev.bukkit.org here: LINK.

------------------------------

Old description (open)
    If you enjoy fighting monsters for glorious prizes or just the sheer thrill of battle, you and your friends can now join forces against hordes of Minecraft evils in the exciting gladiator-style survival mini-game MobArena!

Heavily inspired by Deminetix' Fight-plugin, MobArena is a PvE-take on arena-gameplay, with a similar class-based system. Instead of fighting other players, you team up with them to beat oncoming waves of monsters, earning rewards in the process. MobArena can be played alone, or with as many friends as you like!

Features:
    • Fight oncoming waves of monsters
    • Play alone or team up with friends
    • Earn glorious prizes
    • Customizable classes, rewards and waves
    • Easy to set up
    • Extremely easy to use
    • Very few user commands
    • Supports Permissions and all major economies
    • Supports Spout
    • Supports Heroes
    Note: When you post a bug report, please provide a stacktrace/error from the server log/console window. Post this stacktrace in either a pastebin, a pastie, or a CODE-block! The same applies for config-files, permissions-files, etc! Please don't put them directly in your posts, as they become gigantic and annoying to read. If you don't follow this guideline, I might ignore your post!

Wiki - Instructions, commands, FAQ, etc.
    I have set up a Wiki for MobArena. It contains a bunch of information and guides on how to set up and customize arenas, an overview of all the commands, how to set up Permissions, as well as frequently asked questions.

New: MobArena now has its own IRC channel (#mobarena @ EsperNet). Click here for a web-based IRC client. Feel free to stop by to get help setting everything up if you really don't understand the Wiki and the instructional video, or to have a chat about MobArena (or anything else, for that matter) :)

Relevant links:
    Videos:
    Getting started with MobArena, by Flamers
    Flamers made this really easy-to-follow, simple video of how to get started with MobArena. It covers installing the plugin, defining an arena region and setting up basic leaderboards, as well as a few pointers for arena design.
    Old instructional video (open)
    Instructional video for setting up MobArena:

Note: This video was made for v0.67, but all the in-game instructions still work the same for the latest versions. The config-file has changed, so make sure to read the Wiki on how to set it up.
    More Videos (open)
    Review of MobArena by plugin reviewer jamescosten (v0.84):

Note: My nickname "garbagemule" is pronounced "garbage mule", as in "trash donkey" ;)

Hilarious showcase of MobArena by Daniel James and Daniel Cherry (v0.92.3):

Delios showing off his beautiful arena setup:

slowmonkey1227 in his interesting "island" arena: YouTube
    French video by avalondrey (v0.87.3): YouTube
    German video by blutherz and his friends (v0.91.2): YouTube

Troubleshooting:
    To avoid wasting not only your own time, but mine as well, I expect everyone to do some extensive troubleshooting before posting bug reports. What does this mean?

Try MobArena on a fresh server.
    MobArena works perfectly fine when I release it. Sure, there are a few bugs, but it works. If it doesn't work for you, something is most likely wrong on your end. Set up a local test-server, and verify that MobArena works before claiming that it doesn't. When you have verified that MobArena does indeed work, you can start adding other plugins and settings until something conflicts.

Disable other plugins.
    The first thing you need to do is disable all other plugins. If you can't reproduce the bug with other plugins disabled, you know that you have a conflicting plugin. Now perform a binary search on the other plugins, or if you don't know how to do that, just add a couple of plugins back to the plugins-folder, try to reproduce the bug, and if you can't, the conflicting plugin must be in the remaining set of plugins.

Write down reproduction steps.
    Figure out the exact steps to reproduce/trigger the bug. I need precise steps, and as much information as possible, because there are often many things that could be going on. An example of reproduction steps could be:
    1. Type /ma join
    2. Punch the Archer class sign
    3. Wait for someone else to join
    4. Punch the iron block
    5. Type /ma leave before the other player picks a class

Check the console window/server.log
    Make sure you check the server.log file for any MobArena errors or exceptions. If you find any, copy the ENTIRE exception (including all the lines that say "at com.garbagemule.MobArena...") and paste it (with the other information) in a CODE-tag here in the thread.

Donations:
    I develop MobArena for the fun of it and the positive feedback is all it takes to make me happy, but a few people have asked for a link, so if you're one of them, here's a link: Donate - You can donate as much as you want, even down to a few cents! If I get enough donations, I will spend the money on an extra Minecraft account to aid me in developing/testing/debugging MobArena :)

Changelog:

Version 0.94.3.24
    • Updated for CB 1337.
    • The repair-delay node is now unused! The reason for this is that it is now possible (with the release of 1317) to cancel block damage in explosions, and still retain the animation and sound! This also means that arenas should be fully pistons-compatible (for arenas that don't use soft-restore or force-restore)! I'm hoping to see some screenshots and videos of shifting arenas! :)
    • You can now right-click signs in the lobby! I finally found a super easy solution to the improperly updating inventory issue with right-clicking class signs. The result is that players can now left- or right-click as they please. This should solve all issues related to players not being able to choose classes, due to spawn region and WorldGuard/Factions/whatever conflicts.
    • It is no longer possible to warp out of the lobby.
    • New per-arena setting: final-wave - Allows for setting a final wave, meaning on that wave, the arena will end, regardless of how many players are alive.
    Version 0.94.3.11 (open)

• v0.94.3.11 - Updated Register, built against CB 1240.
    • v0.94.3.8 - Added basic leaderboards.
    • v0.94.3.6 - Fixed MagicSpells support - MobArena no longer supports MagicSpells pre-v1.1!
    • v0.94.3.5 - Fixed a bunch of bugs introduced with CB 1185, as well as a couple of minor MobArena bugs.
    • Updated for CraftBukkit #1185
    • Updated economy support (now supports iConomy 6).
    • Added the three new mob types, Enderman/Endermen, CaveSpider/CaveSpiders, Silverfish. They can be used just like the other mob types in the waves.
    • Endermen cannot pick up arena blocks (this is why).
    • Endermen cannot place blocks in arena regions.
    • The per-class permission syntax has been fixed and changed slightly. The Wiki has been updated (clicky).
    • Fixed MagicSpells issues.
    Version 0.94.2 (open)

• Redstone circuits now work properly in arenas.
    • Lightning now properly strikes on spawnpoints on special waves.
    • Fixed an issue where players somehow warping/cheating out of the arena world get kicked from the server when discovered.
    • Added MagicSpells support. Use the magicspells.yml file to ban certain spells from the arena either for the whole session, or only during boss waves.
    • Fixed the Heroes death conflict. MobArena and Heroes should now play nice together. Further Heroes support is planned for upcoming releases.
    • [COLOR=#1000000]MobArena will no longer support the discontinued Permissions 2.x and 3.x permission systems.[/COLOR] Recommended permissions systems include PermissionsBukkit (defacto standard) or PermissionsEX.
    Version 0.94.1 (open)

• Added two new boss abilities: 'shuffle-positions' and 'flood'. Try them out!
    • Players disconnecting/crashing during an arena session no longer get corrupted data files due to economy rewards.
    • Weapon durability is now correctly set to "unlimited".
    • Item sub-types (cocoa beans, bonemeal, colored wool, etc.) now work again.
    • Players can no longer join the arena without first picking a class.
    • MobArena now works with spawn-monsters=false again.
    Version 0.94 (open)

• Completely revamped the waves system! Undeniably the biggest feature in MobArena since multiple arenas in v0.92, the new customizable waves are guaranteed to bring much more awesomeness to your MobArenas. The waves system brings two new wave types, swarm waves and boss waves. The latter is a very elaborate feature, and the whole waves system has been given its own page on the Wiki. Note: MobArena will ignore all old wave settings, but use sane defaults.
    • Revamped the logging system. Instead of logging: true, you can now use logging: yml/xml. The logging system will now keep track of the last session only, but also maintain a collection of 'totals' for each arena. The idea behind these easy-to-parse files is making the stats available on server web pages.
    • Added SuperPerms/PermissionsBukkit support. Note that specifying mobarena.arenas.* and mobarena.classes.* probably won't work, but these nodes are given to everyone by default.
    • Added Spout support. Currently, the only Spouty thing MobArena does is print (some) announcements as notifications/achievements. This should limit the amount of "chat spam" that MobArena produces. Other Spout-features are planned, but don't expect something crazy. Note that MobArena does NOT require Spout!
    • Monsters will no longer target pet wolves. This is a major nerf to pet classes, but they were very overpowered as it was.
    • Fixed item amounts greater than 64 sometimes bugging out. You should now be able to put arrow:1024 for your Archer classes :)
    • Fixed players losing their stored items and/or earned rewards upon disconnecting from the arena.
    • Fixed blocks not restoring when burned by fire.
    • Fixed an issue with entry fees. They should no longer cause any problems.
    • Fixed slimes. That's right! Slimes that spawn as a result of bigger slimes splitting upon death are now considered arena monsters. This also means that Slimes no longer drop slime balls; as intended.
    • Revamped the repairing algorithm. It is now MUCH more sophisticated, and is capable of repairing not only signs and containers, but also torches, doors and beds. Redstone -should- repair properly as well, but it is still slightly buggy.
    • Added support for restorable containers. Registered chests, dispensers, and furnaces will have their contents stored upon arena start, and restored at arena end. This is useful for providing the arena players with chests with e.g. upgrades or food.
    • Added new commands (for the feature above) - /ma addcontainer <name>, /ma delcontainer <name>, /ma containers. These commands work much like the the spawnpoint commands. To add a container, simply look at the container and type /ma addcontainer <name>.
    Changelog (continued)

apes, chakyl, Steffion and 64 others like this.
  2. Offline

yourock129

Hey again. Found a bug. Does NOT happen often. Sometimes invintories get completly saved in the inventories folder. When this happens it will say that it could not save your inventory and you will not be able to enter. (issue occurs with or without items in inv). I had to delete the file for me in it inorder to make it able for me to join again.

Hey read my the post that I just posted on this. It may answer your question.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2016
  3. Offline

garbagemule

@kahlilnc - Re-download the latest build. The sitPets-error was fixed a few silent updates ago ;)

@yourock129 - And this whole inventory saving madness is exactly why I've been putting it off for ages. There is nothing but trouble with it. I provided /ma restore <player name> which will restore a player's inventory when it fails to restore.

4. Offline

yourock129

It may be because of a server restart or something but i had the items when i left the arena. It just didn't delete the file itself. You should try to fix it if you can narrow it down in the jar file or put it in the wiki. Just in case it happens to someone (as you can see it has happened to me and kahlilnc so it may be worth putting it in). Thanks.

5. Offline

Blackswordsman

Ihave two feature request that would make this amazing plugin even better.

1.) Per Player kill/round scores
    2.) Charge money to enter the arena

6. Offline

garbagemule

@yourock129 - It'll happen to a lot of people. There's not a lot I can do about it. It's a choice between overwriting/deleting people's inventories when something goes wrong, or completely blocking them off until their inventory has been restored. I found the latter the most reasonable. Stuff like server crashes or random file I/O bugs are outside of my control, and there is literally nothing I can do prevent inventory stuff from crashing along with it. That's also why this is an option (just recently changed by default to require empty inventories on join and spectate), such that those with a lot to lose can completely prevent these bugs from happening.

@Blackswordsman - Both are planned for v1.0 :)

7. Offline

kahlilnc

I am on the newest. 0.92

8. Offline

garbagemule

@kahlilnc - Yes, but are you on the latest build? Like I said, the error was fixed a few -silent updates- ago. Meaning it's still v0.92, but might be different from yours. Re-download MobArena and see if the problem persists.

9. Offline

kahlilnc

Oh the bukkit build? and I will do that too.

10. Offline

yourock129

Could you change the message for it? Such as the file is still there or is the message able to be triggered by different things?

Hey when I try to make a new class, a new sign will not pop up in the lobby. I use the auto generated lobbies. would i have to make my own lobbies to put in the new classes?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2016
  11. Offline

garbagemule

@kahlilnc - No, MobArena :)

@yourock129 - You can change it however you want. Read the Wiki.

12. Offline

FireFreak111

No, dude, he means simply redownload MobArena. Just do it. He reuploaded it with a fix.

13. Offline

phrstbrn

Would it be possible to teleport the player to a random spot inside the arena first to pop the item out of their hand (as a double teleport)? That would seem to be a rather clever workaround to this bug if it works the way I think it might. I can't think of any downsides of doing this.

14. Offline

garbagemule

@phrstbrn - That might work, but I'm not too fond of the idea of all the event scheduling I'd have to do. Not to mention that it might bug out like crazy on reloads or server restarts. I think the better option is either the lava pit, or simply disallowing players to open their inventories during the arena session (this would limit all classes to only 9 items (assuming armor auto-equips), though). Or well, the better option would be to have a method that clears whatever the player is currently holding with the mouse, but we don't have such a method :p

15. Offline

phrstbrn

We actually just tested the fling-item into lava in our server, and it's still exploitable 80% of the time. If a player stands on the spectator block, crouches, and walks towards the direction the player will face when he dies, about 4 out of 5 times we found the 2nd player will pickup the item. The lava is better than nothing, but still doesn't solve the problem.

16. Offline

garbagemule

@phrstbrn - Can you fork MobArena and try to see if your idea works? I'm not quite up for another big code revamp if it isn't going to work anyway.

17. Offline

Suprem20

Same thing here, multiple internal errors.

18. Offline

garbagemule

@Suprem20 - Please read the Troubleshooting-section of the main thread. Your post is useless :(

19. Offline

Kentoss

Hey @garbagemule

Excellent release, lots of fantastic features in this update! This is really awesome, and has allowed me to build a better arena.

One of the features I've added in is a puzzle you need 2 or more players to solve, and this involves redstone and pistons, which open a door that reveals an infinite chest of arrows for the archer. Only thing I have to report at this point is that pistons don't seem to get fixed when the creeper damage gets repaired.

Oh another thing I have now is that my players are reporting instantly dying when being teleported to the arena. I believe it's because the entryway I made is 2 blocks high and they're being teleported into a block, but it worked fine that way before the update. I'm changing the entryway to see if that helps, but I just thought I'd give you a heads up.

EDIT:

Definitely not my doorway. I set it to the middle of a 9x9 room that has at least 3 blocks of open space vertically, and the players spawned inside the floor, or were instantly killed and sent to spawn.

If they get killed while joining it thinks they're permanently in the current game.

20. Offline

garbagemule

@Kentoss - Hey! :) That sounds like a really cool idea! Sorry to hear about pistons. I'll have a look at it when I get the time. The instant death thing on join is most likely because of the way the join warp works. I think (but I'm not 100% sure) that I warp the players 1 block above the lobby warp, such that they don't fall into the ground (which was an issue before). Try giving your lobby warp 3-4 blocks of air between the floor and the ceiling and let me know if it solves the problem.

21. Offline

Gamerfanatic

@garbagemule How do I add my own class with the premade /ma auto-generate i cant put my own sign there :p

22. Offline

D3C

@garbagemule ,Hey thanks for you help earlier, it sorta help me through the whole new config settings(The wiki helped me a lot as-well :D) but becuase my arena is so big there is a 2-3second lag spike :\ But I'm currently using soft-restore so its all good :)

But other then that is there a way you could release a reward list of the item names? Im having some trouble with the names of items or can you put the item id eg
    Code:
               '5': stoneaxe, stonepickaxe, stonehoe, stonesword, stoneshovel

Into
    Code:
               '5': 275:1, 274:1, 285:1, 272;1, 273:1

(I think the reason I'm getting this is because i remove the '_' from them all. :p)

Edit: Decided to fiddle around a bit and put back the '_' for items such as "diamond_sword"
    But there is one thing i came across that was odd, the reward for "<Material>_Shove"l isn't recognized and you get an error such as
    Code:
    11:44:15 [INFO] [MobArena] ERROR! Could not create item "stone_shovel". Check co
    nfig.yml
    But if you change "Stone_shovel" into "Stone_Spade" it works? :s

23. Offline

phrstbrn

Well, I fixed it and it works.

Here is the meat of the "big code revamp" for anybody who is interested.

Code:
    @@ -333,6 +333,9 @@ public class Arena
         public void playerDeath(final Player p)
         {
    +        // teleport them back to the arena location to pop any items out of their hand
    +        p.teleport(arenaLoc);
    +
             p.teleport(spectatorLoc);
             p.setFireTicks(0);
             p.setHealth(20);

That's the entire fix right there.

garbagemule likes this.
  24. Offline

RealDope

Plugin is great. Once small thing I noticed though, If you use /ma join, then flag as ready and join the arena, then immediately use /ma leave, you keep all your armor and items..

Might be something to fix

EDIT: Another thing, not sure if it's possible to fix. But Creepers and Powered Creepers tend to break the floor and you fall in before it repairs itself. Thus, you suffocate.

Perhaps you could make the repair time on blocks shorter?

EDIT2: Sorry to be so picky but also, could you make it heal people when they join?

25. Offline

thepackett

i was tagged, i feel special :D
    thanks for the new features! ^^

26. Offline

Vladieboi

Whenever I generate a new file, it makes everything into one line?! :-/ As in, no YML specific format, just 2 #'d lines and one with EVERYTHING?

27. Offline

tuderen

@Gamerfanatic /ma protect false, unless he changed the command. In any case, you need to disable the protection before you can place signs.

@D3C because Notch wants us to feel pain. Not all item names make perfect sense, take Cooked Porkchop. It's grilled_pork for item value. Use the ID numbers to be safe if you have trouble getting the items.

@phrstbrn neat and non-bloaty. I wonder though whether the last person dying would end up throwing an item into the arena after it's been cleared, leaving the item down/up/over there for someone to grab. (If the arena floor is accessible of course)

@RealDope you could have a conflicting plugin for the gear staying. And if it's a timing thing, there's probably not much that can be done about it. As for repair delay, it's as fast as can be, though I've never heard of anyone suffocating in creeper holes before. It's a Minecraft flaw that no code from our side can fix I fear. As for healing when joining, should be a toggle in 1.0 if not earlier.

@thepackett you should feel special, had to spend 3 hours going through all the old posts to flag people while he was busy with exams. :p

garbagemule likes this.
  28. Offline

phrstbrn

Our arena doesn't have an open floor, however I didn't see any items left on the ground when the game ended.

29. Offline

lazybeni

Thank you! works really great

You should had that you can get rewards Ingame after each round ( like extra food ) :p

would be awesome ^^

I have a lil problem tough

At every end of game, I have to reset my warps and spawn
    E: Idk if it was the problem but it appears there was an error with an Item I wrote down in the config ( "Meat") looks like after deleting it, it doesnt show the error again, may be the problem, I don't know, I will test it soon

30. Offline

garbagemule

@Gamerfanatic - Like tureen says, you need to temporarily disable the protection. I did change the command though. You now have to use "/ma editarena <arena name> true", and then "… false" when you're done.

@D3C - If you read the Wiki, you'll find links to both the data values and the Material types.

@phrstbrn - Thank you so much for the test! I didn't think simply warping twice without any delay would work. I'll get it implemented for the next bugfix release :) This seems like a very nice workaround. Edit: Turns out it doesn't work consistently.

@RealDope - I can't reproduce the bug with gear staying. I've done countless /ma join, start arena, then /ma leave before any mobs have spawned (when I realized I forgot something for my tests), so it must be an issue on your end. Please follow the Troubleshooting-section to help me help you.
    You can set the repair-delay lower, if you want it shorter. If you set it to 0, the blocks won't break at all (and thus won't need to be repaired). This also disables the explosion animation, though.
    All players are healed as soon as the arena starts.

@Vladieboi - No, it doesn't. You must be using a horrible text editor to read the config-file. Try a real editor like Notepad++ (Windows), TextEdit (Mac), nano/emacs/vim/gedit (Linux).

@lazybeni - Bonuses are planned for v1.0. You shouldn't have to reset the warps and spawnpoints. You either have a conflicting plugin, or some strange file permissions in your server-folder. "meat" is not a Material type. This is not a bug and it's not anything I want to do anything about. It says in the Wiki you can use the Material types or data values.

31. Offline

NordicBlue

Hi GarbageMule,

Great plugin!
    It works fine on my server, except some of my players cannot join the arena or do /ma spec.
    I already tried removing the player files of the players.

This is the error:
    Code:
    2011-07-06 12:47:29 [SEVERE] null
    org.bukkit.command.CommandException: Unhandled exception executing command 'ma' in plugin MobArena v0.92
        at org.bukkit.command.PluginCommand.execute(PluginCommand.java:37)
        at org.bukkit.command.SimpleCommandMap.dispatch(SimpleCommandMap.java:129)
        at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.dispatchCommand(CraftServer.java:298)
        at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.handleCommand(NetServerHandler.java:711)
        at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.chat(NetServerHandler.java:676)
        at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.a(NetServerHandler.java:669)
        at net.minecraft.server.Packet3Chat.a(Packet3Chat.java:33)
        at net.minecraft.server.NetworkManager.b(NetworkManager.java:226)
        at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.a(NetServerHandler.java:84)
        at net.minecraft.server.NetworkListenThread.a(SourceFile:105)
        at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.h(MinecraftServer.java:451)
        at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:361)
        at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:422)
    Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at com.garbagemule.MobArena.MAUtils.sitPets(MAUtils.java:571)
        at com.garbagemule.MobArena.Arena.playerSpec(Arena.java:369)
        at com.garbagemule.MobArena.MACommands.onCommand(MACommands.java:280)
        at org.bukkit.command.PluginCommand.execute(PluginCommand.java:35)
        ... 12 more