[FUN] MobArena v0.96.8 - Become a mob-fighting gladiator! [1.7.x, 1.8.x]

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Releases' started by garbagemule, May 30, 2011.

1. Offline

garbagemule

[​IMG]

MobArena - Become a mob-fighting gladiator!
    [​IMG] Latest build: v0.96.7 (1.7.x)
    [​IMG] Wiki
    [​IMG] IRC Channel
    [​IMG] Source

BukkitDev Project Page - Find MobArena on dev.bukkit.org here: LINK.

------------------------------

Old description (open)
    If you enjoy fighting monsters for glorious prizes or just the sheer thrill of battle, you and your friends can now join forces against hordes of Minecraft evils in the exciting gladiator-style survival mini-game MobArena!

Heavily inspired by Deminetix' Fight-plugin, MobArena is a PvE-take on arena-gameplay, with a similar class-based system. Instead of fighting other players, you team up with them to beat oncoming waves of monsters, earning rewards in the process. MobArena can be played alone, or with as many friends as you like!

Features:
    • Fight oncoming waves of monsters
    • Play alone or team up with friends
    • Earn glorious prizes
    • Customizable classes, rewards and waves
    • Easy to set up
    • Extremely easy to use
    • Very few user commands
    • Supports Permissions and all major economies
    • Supports Spout
    • Supports Heroes
    Note: When you post a bug report, please provide a stacktrace/error from the server log/console window. Post this stacktrace in either a pastebin, a pastie, or a CODE-block! The same applies for config-files, permissions-files, etc! Please don't put them directly in your posts, as they become gigantic and annoying to read. If you don't follow this guideline, I might ignore your post!

Wiki - Instructions, commands, FAQ, etc.
    I have set up a Wiki for MobArena. It contains a bunch of information and guides on how to set up and customize arenas, an overview of all the commands, how to set up Permissions, as well as frequently asked questions.

New: MobArena now has its own IRC channel (#mobarena @ EsperNet). Click here for a web-based IRC client. Feel free to stop by to get help setting everything up if you really don't understand the Wiki and the instructional video, or to have a chat about MobArena (or anything else, for that matter) :)

Relevant links:
    Videos:
    Getting started with MobArena, by Flamers
    Flamers made this really easy-to-follow, simple video of how to get started with MobArena. It covers installing the plugin, defining an arena region and setting up basic leaderboards, as well as a few pointers for arena design.
    Old instructional video (open)
    Instructional video for setting up MobArena:

Note: This video was made for v0.67, but all the in-game instructions still work the same for the latest versions. The config-file has changed, so make sure to read the Wiki on how to set it up.
    More Videos (open)
    Review of MobArena by plugin reviewer jamescosten (v0.84):

Note: My nickname "garbagemule" is pronounced "garbage mule", as in "trash donkey" ;)

Hilarious showcase of MobArena by Daniel James and Daniel Cherry (v0.92.3):

Delios showing off his beautiful arena setup:

slowmonkey1227 in his interesting "island" arena: YouTube
    French video by avalondrey (v0.87.3): YouTube
    German video by blutherz and his friends (v0.91.2): YouTube

Troubleshooting:
    To avoid wasting not only your own time, but mine as well, I expect everyone to do some extensive troubleshooting before posting bug reports. What does this mean?

Try MobArena on a fresh server.
    MobArena works perfectly fine when I release it. Sure, there are a few bugs, but it works. If it doesn't work for you, something is most likely wrong on your end. Set up a local test-server, and verify that MobArena works before claiming that it doesn't. When you have verified that MobArena does indeed work, you can start adding other plugins and settings until something conflicts.

Disable other plugins.
    The first thing you need to do is disable all other plugins. If you can't reproduce the bug with other plugins disabled, you know that you have a conflicting plugin. Now perform a binary search on the other plugins, or if you don't know how to do that, just add a couple of plugins back to the plugins-folder, try to reproduce the bug, and if you can't, the conflicting plugin must be in the remaining set of plugins.

Write down reproduction steps.
    Figure out the exact steps to reproduce/trigger the bug. I need precise steps, and as much information as possible, because there are often many things that could be going on. An example of reproduction steps could be:
    1. Type /ma join
    2. Punch the Archer class sign
    3. Wait for someone else to join
    4. Punch the iron block
    5. Type /ma leave before the other player picks a class

Check the console window/server.log
    Make sure you check the server.log file for any MobArena errors or exceptions. If you find any, copy the ENTIRE exception (including all the lines that say "at com.garbagemule.MobArena...") and paste it (with the other information) in a CODE-tag here in the thread.

Donations:
    I develop MobArena for the fun of it and the positive feedback is all it takes to make me happy, but a few people have asked for a link, so if you're one of them, here's a link: Donate - You can donate as much as you want, even down to a few cents! If I get enough donations, I will spend the money on an extra Minecraft account to aid me in developing/testing/debugging MobArena :)

Changelog:

Version 0.94.3.24
    • Updated for CB 1337.
    • The repair-delay node is now unused! The reason for this is that it is now possible (with the release of 1317) to cancel block damage in explosions, and still retain the animation and sound! This also means that arenas should be fully pistons-compatible (for arenas that don't use soft-restore or force-restore)! I'm hoping to see some screenshots and videos of shifting arenas! :)
    • You can now right-click signs in the lobby! I finally found a super easy solution to the improperly updating inventory issue with right-clicking class signs. The result is that players can now left- or right-click as they please. This should solve all issues related to players not being able to choose classes, due to spawn region and WorldGuard/Factions/whatever conflicts.
    • It is no longer possible to warp out of the lobby.
    • New per-arena setting: final-wave - Allows for setting a final wave, meaning on that wave, the arena will end, regardless of how many players are alive.
    Version 0.94.3.11 (open)

• v0.94.3.11 - Updated Register, built against CB 1240.
    • v0.94.3.8 - Added basic leaderboards.
    • v0.94.3.6 - Fixed MagicSpells support - MobArena no longer supports MagicSpells pre-v1.1!
    • v0.94.3.5 - Fixed a bunch of bugs introduced with CB 1185, as well as a couple of minor MobArena bugs.
    • Updated for CraftBukkit #1185
    • Updated economy support (now supports iConomy 6).
    • Added the three new mob types, Enderman/Endermen, CaveSpider/CaveSpiders, Silverfish. They can be used just like the other mob types in the waves.
    • Endermen cannot pick up arena blocks (this is why).
    • Endermen cannot place blocks in arena regions.
    • The per-class permission syntax has been fixed and changed slightly. The Wiki has been updated (clicky).
    • Fixed MagicSpells issues.
    Version 0.94.2 (open)

• Redstone circuits now work properly in arenas.
    • Lightning now properly strikes on spawnpoints on special waves.
    • Fixed an issue where players somehow warping/cheating out of the arena world get kicked from the server when discovered.
    • Added MagicSpells support. Use the magicspells.yml file to ban certain spells from the arena either for the whole session, or only during boss waves.
    • Fixed the Heroes death conflict. MobArena and Heroes should now play nice together. Further Heroes support is planned for upcoming releases.
    • [COLOR=#1000000]MobArena will no longer support the discontinued Permissions 2.x and 3.x permission systems.[/COLOR] Recommended permissions systems include PermissionsBukkit (defacto standard) or PermissionsEX.
    Version 0.94.1 (open)

• Added two new boss abilities: 'shuffle-positions' and 'flood'. Try them out!
    • Players disconnecting/crashing during an arena session no longer get corrupted data files due to economy rewards.
    • Weapon durability is now correctly set to "unlimited".
    • Item sub-types (cocoa beans, bonemeal, colored wool, etc.) now work again.
    • Players can no longer join the arena without first picking a class.
    • MobArena now works with spawn-monsters=false again.
    Version 0.94 (open)

• Completely revamped the waves system! Undeniably the biggest feature in MobArena since multiple arenas in v0.92, the new customizable waves are guaranteed to bring much more awesomeness to your MobArenas. The waves system brings two new wave types, swarm waves and boss waves. The latter is a very elaborate feature, and the whole waves system has been given its own page on the Wiki. Note: MobArena will ignore all old wave settings, but use sane defaults.
    • Revamped the logging system. Instead of logging: true, you can now use logging: yml/xml. The logging system will now keep track of the last session only, but also maintain a collection of 'totals' for each arena. The idea behind these easy-to-parse files is making the stats available on server web pages.
    • Added SuperPerms/PermissionsBukkit support. Note that specifying mobarena.arenas.* and mobarena.classes.* probably won't work, but these nodes are given to everyone by default.
    • Added Spout support. Currently, the only Spouty thing MobArena does is print (some) announcements as notifications/achievements. This should limit the amount of "chat spam" that MobArena produces. Other Spout-features are planned, but don't expect something crazy. Note that MobArena does NOT require Spout!
    • Monsters will no longer target pet wolves. This is a major nerf to pet classes, but they were very overpowered as it was.
    • Fixed item amounts greater than 64 sometimes bugging out. You should now be able to put arrow:1024 for your Archer classes :)
    • Fixed players losing their stored items and/or earned rewards upon disconnecting from the arena.
    • Fixed blocks not restoring when burned by fire.
    • Fixed an issue with entry fees. They should no longer cause any problems.
    • Fixed slimes. That's right! Slimes that spawn as a result of bigger slimes splitting upon death are now considered arena monsters. This also means that Slimes no longer drop slime balls; as intended.
    • Revamped the repairing algorithm. It is now MUCH more sophisticated, and is capable of repairing not only signs and containers, but also torches, doors and beds. Redstone -should- repair properly as well, but it is still slightly buggy.
    • Added support for restorable containers. Registered chests, dispensers, and furnaces will have their contents stored upon arena start, and restored at arena end. This is useful for providing the arena players with chests with e.g. upgrades or food.
    • Added new commands (for the feature above) - /ma addcontainer <name>, /ma delcontainer <name>, /ma containers. These commands work much like the the spawnpoint commands. To add a container, simply look at the container and type /ma addcontainer <name>.
    Changelog (continued)

apes, chakyl, Steffion and 64 others like this.
  2. Offline

CDJ445544

okay THANKYOU!

3. i dont get the waves properly at minecraft 1.6.6, bukkit 818
    I earn the stuff ive set but:
    wave 1 - 3 no enemies come.
    wave 4 special, lightning strikes -> no monsters
    wave 5 -> 1 darn archer
    etc.

Also: MY fighters wont always get items? Knight did not get armors as its supposed to? wtf?
    Code:
    world: world
    classes:
        Chef:
            items: stone_sword, bread:8, grilled_pork:6, mushroom_soup:2, cake:4, cookie:20
            armor: 314,315,316,317
        Tank:
            items: stone_sword, grilled_pork:4
            armor: 310,311,312,313
        Knight:
            items: diamond_sword, grilled_pork:2
            armor: 306,307,308,309
        Archer:
            items: wood_sword, bow, arrow:192, grilled_pork:2
            armor: 298,299,300,301
    rewards:
        waves:
            every:
                '3': grilled_pork, coal:5, torch:5
                '10': iron_ingot:10, gold_ingot:8, diamond_ingot:4, sandstone:20, cake
                '5': coal:4, sandstone:4, stone:4
            after:
                '7': minecart, storage_minecart, powered_minecart
                '16': diamond_sword, diamond_axe
                '13': iron_sword, iron_pickaxe, iron_spade, iron_axe
    waves:
        default:
            zombies: 10
            skeletons: 10
            spiders: 10
            creepers: 10
            wolves: 10
        special:
            poweredcreepers: 10
            zombiepigmen: 10
            slimes: 10
            humans: 10
            angrywolves: 10
            giants: 0
            ghasts: 0
    updatenotification: true
    disabledcommands: kill, home, spawn, tp, t2p
    coords:
        p1:
            yaw: 0.0
            pitch: 0.0
            z: -301.71875
            y: 65.0
            x: -178.71875
        p2:
            yaw: 0.0
            pitch: 0.0
            z: -258.3125
            y: 78.0
            x: -134.3125
        spawnpoints:
            s1:
                yaw: 28.282227
                pitch: 18.449978
                z: -288.26888991572594
                y: 68.0
                x: -147.73699743280886
            s2:
                yaw: 143.93224
                pitch: 59.69997
                z: -271.30910481577354
                x: -147.4856443535208
            s3:
                yaw: 224.48227
                pitch: 32.84996
                z: -271.5
                x: -165.46875
            s4:
                yaw: 322.88232
                pitch: 48.74996
                z: -288.4375
                x: -165.5625
        arena:
            yaw: 275.33356
            pitch: 42.449863
            z: -280.17882040022937
            x: -155.80178289872597
        spectator:
            yaw: 308.7834
            pitch: 28.949858
            z: -287.19693185624993
            x: -166.56675481086498
        lobby:
            yaw: 184.28381
            pitch: -2.2502918
            z: -294.12192140806656
            x: -152.20181796273073

What to do?

4. Offline

tuderen

@Semirotta first of all you either have a plugin preventing mobs from spawning, or you've turned off mob spawning in general, which needs to be on for MobArena to work. As for not getting armor, either they're rightclicking when they should be leftclicking, or they actually get the items, they're just invisible. Not sure why the bug happens, but it's been reported before. Try and check if there's anything you can pick up from the spots where the armor should be placed in your inventory.

5. Offline

Adcairns

@tuderen yea its pretty simple to fix, i just take out the config file that has all the data of the arena, spawnpoints etc, then i rebuild the stadium, then put the file back and its all good.

Here is the problem that comes up in the server window - " [SEVERE] Could not load 'plugins/MobArena.jar' in folder 'plugins':
    while parsing a block mapping
    in "<reader>", line 1, column 1:
    world: Andrew's World
    ^

expecting <block end>, but found BlockMappingStart
    in "<reader>", line 6, column 5
    Oddjob:
    ^ "

then it has loads of things like " at org.yaml.snakeyaml .....

6. thank you for ur quick answer.
    I have HeavenlyMob, mby it restricts mob spawning 2 much. i try out without it.
    also i have Antimobspawn set to BEDROCK only so it cant cause it?
    do u happen to know, if i can remove the MobBounty plugin from MobArena? when i kill mob i gain mob bounty which is kind astupid and easy way to gain more money^^

EDIT:
    removed HeavenlyMob -> works fine.
    I wonder why other players in my server get laggs / crashesh? any1 who could help pm me

7. Offline

tuderen

These two issues are above my paygrade, I'm gonna get Garbagemule to answer you two.. :p

8. Offline

symrex

Very very nice Plugin!
    This ist the best MVP Plugin!
    Thx from German.

9. Offline

Slyvr89

This is amazing :D
    I'm having some issues though. Everything is set up and I built this fantastic arena with obstacles and 2 floors and everything, but after all the commands and warps are set up, I can't break any blocks in the area anymore. I just need to fill in a hole in the wall.

Secondly, nothing is spawning on each wave. It says prepare for wave 1, wait a a little while, prepare for wave 2 and nothing ever spawns. What am I doing wrong here?

EDIT: forget the second part, it's because I had mobs turned off...derp

10. Offline

Avous

@garbagemule

request!

Could you reward prefixes/suffixes as well? to rewards. for example if they get after (X) waves complete they get a title and a new one for reaching a higher (X) level.. for example (I'mma use oblivions rankings)
    (Wave 4) Pit Dog garbagemule
    (Wave 12) Brawler garbagemule
    (Wave 20) Blood Letter
    (Wave 24) Myrmidon
    (Wave 28) Warrior
    (Wave 32) Gladiator
    (Wave 40) Hero
    (Wave 50) Champion

just for a example there would probably be much less titles handed out but as i said just giving you a example and it would overwrite your previous title when you got a new one

11. Offline

thorncrown

Hey there!
    I got just one problem: I start to fight, after some hits it says "Thorncrown died!" and its over. But I just lost 2 life or something. Really weird. Help, anyone? Craftbukkit 818

12. Offline

tuderen

@Slyvr89 there's a block protection command you can use to turn off block protection and edit your arena. Can't remember what it is, but it should be in the first post.

13. Offline

Inf

The command for block protect is: "/ma protect false" to turn it off type: /ma protect false

14. Offline

EMOberger

I know you have exams, but something i think would be useful is to not advance to the next round if all the monsters are not killed. and to have a world announcement when the arena is starting and when it has ended saying what round and the rewards with names. hopefully in v1 you will add an option for this? as well as what someone else suggested, having more than one arenas. amazing plugin and thank you for your time!

15. Offline

Redyugi

I made a small, basic one with VoxelSniper until we complete our grand arena. It'll have arenas for Spleef, MobArena, some pvp thing, that battleship one, and one of the ball plugins. So.. it hasn't.

I'll still post pics though. :) Eventually

16. Offline

papand13

A bug i am experiencing, so are one of my friends: epserg

Whenever people select a class, they get the class. But none of the gear (sometimes the weapon), then when they open their inventory and click one of the hotkey slots (the bottom ones) the items appears. Any ideá?

17. Offline

heroanth2345

Maybe try to remove pvp on AND pvp off in the config instead of only pvp

18. Offline

orbitraiter

um...when i shut the server down, my arena dissapears
    im a little angry, because it takes forever to make one arena

19. Offline

Inf

You have to left click on the sign! Had to read the posts to find this one out :) It works!

20. Offline

Cowmaster

multiple tnt breaks the protection and permanently damages the arena

21. Offline

desmin88

@Cowmaster
    Confirmed, I have this error too.

22. Offline

aTastyNoob

Hi, when I try to select a class (Knight), only a sword comes up. When you scroll to the next "box" in your inventory, it comes up with meat and so on. So instead of coming all at once, it comes out one by one. ALSO, I've noticed that if you put a chest next to the classes and you pick out the armor, you can drag the armor to the box and the box will keep the armor. I would myself call this "cheating" in my server as no one really got that legitly. Is there a way to fix that also?

Thanks!

23. Offline

lucent

Great plugin!

I know you're busy with exams, now, but when you get to Permissions compatibility, I had a thought/suggestion: how about having the arena be able to temporary assign users to permissions groups, while in the arena until leave, logout, or death? For example, a user who selects Knight as their class would become assigned to the "Knight" group in the permissions plugin. Administrators could then assign permissions/commands/abilities associated with the class (e.g., for mcmmo, the mcmmmo.ability.swords tag). I think the result is that it would facilitate cool interactions between this plugin and others that have permissions support, like MCmmo, AetaPriest, etc. Not sure how possible it is, though.

24. Offline

Combat Wombat

Hey, some feature requests when you're done with exams:

1) Some feature to discourage camping. For example, if a user stays in the same spot for too long, they take damage or mobs spawn on top of them?
    2) Mobs spawning closer to players. Most of the time they just spawn on the otherside of the arena and ignore all players completely.

25. Offline

tuderen

@aTastyNoob don't place a chest near the arena? Isolate the lobby, so you can only get there through /ma join and just not have a chest in the room and the whole problem's solved. No need for bloating the plugin for that.. :p

@Combat Wombat to discourage camping, place more spawn points so that they can't stand still for long. Same with the second request.

garbagemule likes this.
  26. Offline

orbitraiter

OMG, i would love you if u could make it multiword support :D

27. Offline

Combat Wombat

I have tried placing over 20 spawn points, but they somehow still decide to generally spawn in the same ones, and huge groups amass there while the straggling mobs are easily slaughtered off by the campers

28. Offline

tuderen

@orbitraiter there should be multiworld support already. There should be a world config in the config file you can change to nether if that's where you want your arena.

@Combat Wombat from my understanding of spawn points, they should place mobs in every spawn until there's one from every spawn point, then start adding another to everyone, so maybe you have too many spawn points clustered up, if the mobs spawn the same place.

Also, not sure if it's exactly how it works, but I don't think the spawn order is random, so maybe you should randomize the spawns yourself and see if that helps.

29. Offline

some1

hey can we sumbit any sugestions? if so here are a few of mine
    * buyable doors need to pay with your score to get em open (like nazi zombies)
    * more arena spawnpoints so we can make multi levels spawns (would be cool if there was buyable doors)
    * in game prizes when you are playing you get cooked pork every 5 rounds?

30. Offline

tuderen

@some1 as for the first, I can't say. But it's already possible to add more spawns, so you can possibly have a multi level arena if you want. And Garbagemule is looking into adding "rewards" during the game. :)

31. Working great and perfectly in my server ! ;D
    I think the arena is protected how do i modify them ? Thanks