[FUN][MECH] Plugin Request: Flying Pigs with set destinations [FORMATTED]

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by Typical_Name, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Offline

Typical_Name

Plugin category: FUN, MECH (I think...)

Suggested name: PigPort

A bit about me:
    I'm the admin of a still-small but growing server. You can read about the server here, but there's really not a whole lot else to know about me.

What I want:
    I want a plugin that first of all allows for flying pigs that can be controlled in some way. I could combine the plugins MobRider and Pigasus for this purpose, but unfortunately both are out of date... :(
    Secondly, I want to be able to configure set areas where flying pigs will spawn and stay in, and have the player be able to pay and get onto one of the pigs, which will then automatically fly to a preset destination (ie, from one town to another). Basically, something like the way you fly from town to town in World of Warcraft (assuming they still do that, it's been years since I've played it). This would be an alternative to the Ports plugin that allows you to set up areas that teleport players back and forth - I personally think it would be more realistic and interesting to have the teleportation thing replaced with flying pigs. Plus, this would have the advantage of making distance matter and showing you the land as you fly over it, whereas with teleportation, once you got the transport set up, players just have to sit there and wait for the set time.
    Ideally, the speed of the pigs would be configurable, but this is not critical. Another idea is to have the type of mob be configurable, in case other admins wanted to use some other mob in place of pigs. Another idea is to have the pigs' hitpoints be configurable, so that anti-air stations might become a legitimate war strategy (or turned off, if the admin prefers), but this is a tertiary concern.

Ideas for commands:
    /pigport create [name]
    creates an area where the flying pigs will spawn in the player's current worldedit selection, with the name specified
    /pigport destination [name] [name]
    sets the destination of a pigport to another pigport
    /pigport price [name] [amount]
    sets the price needed to use a particular pigport
    /pigport remove [name]
    removes a pigport

Ideas for permissions:
    pigport.*
    gives access to all pigport functions
    pigport.create
    pigport.destination
    pigport.price
    pigport.remove

When I'd like it by:
    Oh, you know, whenever you can. I won't rush ye, it's not like I can make you work faster just by demanding it anyway :D.

2. Offline

Typical_Name

... Why do my plugin requests never get responses? Even the ones that don't bother trying to format their threads get responses... :(

3. Offline

Ne0nx3r0

It's a nicely fleshed out idea, but you're asking quite a bit here; as you stated this is a conglomeration of many other plugins and features.

You might have more luck if you were paying to have this plugin created.

It's a good idea, but it would require a lot of work to implement.

4. Offline

Typical_Name

Ah, that would be alright then. I have almost no experience editing plugins (my only experience involves getting stuck at trying to figure out how to decompile and compile files, to give you an idea), so I don't know how much effort this would take.

I'd be willing to pay money, but if I remember correctly, the rules say that you can't make monetary offers :(.

5. Offline

Typical_Name

Is no one willing to do this?

Actually, if the thing about giving the pigs a set of directions is too difficult, just updating Mobrider and Pigasus so players can control flying pigs will work as well.

6. Offline

Tim619

This is simliar of controlling enderdragons, ask the developer of it.

7. Offline

Typical_Name

8. Offline

Typical_Name

Good news, Pigasus appears to be updated. I'm not sure if it's an official update or if it was done by the folks at the thread of updating plugins (http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/ab...dating-loads-to-do.62906/page-52#post-1118035), but if it works, it works (I need to see if it works :p).
    https://github.com/downloads/redsgreens/Pigasus/Pigasus.jar

Now if someone were to update MobRider...

EDIT: Unfortunately, it appears that Pigasus still does not work, despite the claim of having been updated. I was not able to make my pig fly with the feather wand :(.

9. Offline

Andy3189

best thing would be if its configureable so that we could use other mobs too like sheeps cows etc :p

10. Offline

Typical_Name

Yes, yes it would. I'm sure some people would like to ride their cows over the moon and steer their steers into the sunset.

It should be noted that DragonTravel appears to do pretty much what I'm asking for, but with enderdragons instead of pigs. I'm not sure if the plugin is open source, but if it is, someone could just add a config option to use other mobs to that plugin.

11. Offline

Andy3189

will anyone make this plugin? it sounds so wonderful;)

12. Offline

Typical_Name

Well, I suppose the first step would be to ask the maker of DragonTravel. Even if we don't end up using his code, this idea turned out to be so similar to his that we'd probably get calls about intellectual property rights or something if we didn't ask him for permission to make this. I sent him a pm on bukkitdev, and I know he's been online since then, but I haven't yet received a response :/.