"Forcefield" math

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by MCMastery, Aug 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

MCMastery

Hi. I am making an ability, where if you jump in the air and hit the ground with an axe, living entities nearby will be pushed back. However, currently the entities' velocities are quite unpredictable, and it has something to do with my math. Can someone help me find a better way to do this on the math side of things?
    Code:
    if (evt.getAction() == Action.LEFT_CLICK_BLOCK && evt.getPlayer().getVelocity().getY() < -0.2 && ItemUtils.isAxe(evt.getItem())) {
                evt.setCancelled(true);
                Location location = evt.getClickedBlock().getLocation();

// particle effect
                location.getWorld().spawnParticle(Particle.EXPLOSION_HUGE, location.add(0, 1, 0), 0);
                location.getWorld().playEffect(location.add(0, 1, 0), Effect.ZOMBIE_CHEW_WOODEN_DOOR, 0);

double range = 25, power = 5;
                double addY = 2; // makes it so the entities go flying!
                double powerMultiplier = Math.sqrt(-evt.getPlayer().getVelocity().getY());
                for (Entity entity : location.getWorld().getNearbyEntities(location, range, range, range)) {
                    if (entity instanceof LivingEntity && !entity.getUniqueId().equals(evt.getPlayer().getUniqueId())) {
                        double dist = entity.getLocation().distance(location);
                        entity.setVelocity(entity.getLocation().toVector().subtract(location.toVector()).normalize()
                                .multiply(power)
                                .add(new Vector(0, addY, 0))
                                .multiply(powerMultiplier)
                                .multiply(1 / Math.sqrt(dist)));
                    }
                }
            }
    (this is in a PlayerInteractEvent)

The knockback should increase with how fast you are falling down.

thanks!

2. Offline

Zombie_Striker

Use this instead:
    Code:
    Vector direction = location.subtract(entity.getLocation()).normalize();
    //I think the way you had it made sure the entity would fly TOWARDS the player. If I wrong, switch them again.
    direction.add(0,addY,0);//This will make sure the player will always be thrown upwards.
    direction.multiply(power).multiply(powerMultiplier).multiply(1 / Math.sqrt(dist))); //This is a lot of multiplication.

entity.setVelocity(direction);

3. Offline

MCMastery

now the entities always go in the same direction, and are only knocked back a tiny bit (also they don't go into the air)

4. Offline

Zombie_Striker

@MCMastery
    Do you know which direction it is? Is it always +x +z? Can you post your updated code?

5. Offline

MCMastery

Code:
                        double dist = entity.getLocation().distance(location);
                        Vector direction = location.subtract(entity.getLocation()).toVector().normalize();
                        //I think the way you had it made sure the entity would fly TOWARDS the player. If I wrong, switch them again.
                        direction.add(new Vector(0, addY, 0));//This will make sure the player will always be thrown upwards.
                        direction.multiply(power).multiply(powerMultiplier).multiply(1 / Math.sqrt(dist)); //This is a lot of multiplication.

entity.setVelocity(direction);

6. Offline

kameronn

whats the problem? that looks like it should work

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.