Fastest Way to Learn Bukkit?

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by Sadpesant, Jan 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Sadpesant

Hi, so I want to make a minecraft game mode, but I don't want too invest too heavily on to Bukkit or Java. Can anyone give me a realistic timespan I can make some basic plugins for my game mode? My game mode will need things like
    Timer, Scorestreak, Reward System for Scorestreaks, Anti Team PvP, Ranking System, Permission Given to Each Rank
    Also please share some resource with me, most of the videos I encounter are just copying their code videos without much explanation. I think I will just learn the very basic of Java just to understand the structure of the language. Since Java, I believe, is a more serious language. A hobbyist like me wouldn't benefit as much when I can learn easier language quicker. Thanks in advance

2. Offline

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

@Sadpesant Bukkit is written in Java, so without Java knowledge you are nowhere.
    Making minigames is a big thing, you need to understand the structure of the minigame and set it up correctly.

3. Offline

Zombie_Striker

@Sadpesant
    For what you are describing, you will need to have decent amount of knowledge in Java to make the plugin you want.

It should take you atleast a month to get the basics of Java. For what you want, you should need around 2-to-3 months in writing and structuring programs in order to understand how to write a plugin of this scale.

For tutorials, here is a list of tutorials for both Java and bukkit:
    https://bukkit.org/threads/plugin-dev-sticky-learning-java-where-to-learn.395662/

And on the off chance you may decide that you may want to skip Java to go straight into writing plugins, read this:
    https://sites.google.com/site/tecnowizardplugindevelopment/java/not-ready-for-bukkit
    TL; DR: If you do this, you're going to have a bad time.

Sadpesant likes this.
  4. Offline

Sadpesant

Since it seem like I'll have to figure out Java,thanks guys. But what about Bukkit? The Bukkit commands are so high end like "PlayerThrowEgg", why can't they just do "PlayerReleaseItem()" instead? How will I learn that?

5. Offline

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

6. Offline

Zombie_Striker

@Sadpesant
    Since the javadocs may seem a bit confusing, let me explain the link that tim posted:
    1. On the left side of the page of the page contains a list of all classes that you can use. If you want to find all methods that an object has, you can look up any class you want and all methods and usages for it.
    2. If you're looking for specific classes, but don't know the class's name, you can find all of a type by looking under the "packages". For example, if you want to find all evens for player, look at the "org.bukkit.event.player" tab
    Also, I believe you are referencing the "PlayerEggThrowEvent" correct? The reason for the naming is because event names are supposed to be descriptive; In this case, this event will only be called if a player threw an egg and the egg may hatch (useful for dictating if all eggs should hatch/ no eggs should hatch/ changing the type of creature that is hatched), not just if the player threw any item.

Sadpesant likes this.
  7. Offline

Sadpesant

So to do other events, I'll have to make my own? Also, thank you so much from your replies, I think I will try to figure out the boiler plate parts of Java(probably the important part), and how the language works before I go in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.