Extreme Lag

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Colten, Feb 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Colten

I am having extreme lag and other issues, check forum here.

Code:
    What OS are you using (Brand and version - Ex. Windows XP SP3)?
    Windows XP SP2

2. What architecture is the OS you are running (x64 or x86)?
    x64

3. What version and architecture is your java install? (Type: java -version in command prompt.)
    java version "1.6.0_23"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_23-b05)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 19.0-b09, mixed mode)

4. What build of CraftBukkit are you running? (do NOT say latest. Say the build number.)

Now that you've given us all the basics, now we get into the more advanced stuff. Note, if you haven't answered 1-4 yet, answering 5-9 will be almost pointless.

5. What command are you using to run your CraftBukkit server?
    java -Xms1024 -Xmx1024 -jar craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar

6. What plugins are you running?
    With or without plugins the server acts the same.
    -MCDocsmcbans
    -BigBrother
    -Permissions
    -CraftIRC
    -Minequery

7. What error are you getting (post your server.log file if possible)?
    No error

8. What have you tried already?
    removing plugins, reinstalling service pack as i had the x86 version of xp sp2, checked router for ddoss issues. Allowed all ports, reset ports, updated to current repo, tried git repo.
    [edit]I have tested a vanilla server on lag and there is none. So there is some sort of lag problem with bukkit on my system. Could it be the map?

2. Offline

Plague

Well all other items look OK, so let's focus on nr. 8.
    If you tested vanilla and there is no lag on the map, it should not be the problem. If you get the lag when ONLY craftbukkit is loaded, try another version. Be sure it really runs without plugins, check the output when starting the server.

I am currently running 232 version with no lag, so you can try this one.

Report back with results please.

3. Offline

Colten

I Have not tried running build version 232. I was looking on some forums and found that TnT posted something about the Batch file and it looked liked he set up his differently. So I tried the same format and got:
    java -Xincgc -Xmx1G -jar <location> nogui
    this made the server stop lagging a whole lot.

4. Offline

Plague

Hmmm, how much RAM do you have? Looks like not much if this sorted your problems. You should change the -Xmx1G according to your available RAM, so that's why I ask.

5. Offline

Colten

I have 4Gigs, What does the batch file mean in sudo? I don't really understand why i put those commands there.

{edit} i may have spoke too soon, Some major lag is happening, i can loggin sometimes but for the most part it doesn't let me do anything but run around. chat is delayed by about 20 seconds

6. Offline

TnT

Read up on this post. It explains the commands you will likely see.

Change your command to
    Code:
    java -Xincgc -Xmx2G -jar <location> nogui
    This will give your server 2 GB to use. Increase as your hardware allows.

7. Offline

Pezmantbh

Sorry to ninja here plague, just thought I would come join you :)

Try increasing ram to 2G. Also, which build are you on at the moment?

8. Offline

Plague

Oh means faster solution (well, mostly).

Anyway, ans XP is no server OS, is this your personal computer or something? Aren't you running something else besides minecraft server there?

9. Offline

TnT

It seems there are a couple of us that keep repeating other people on these threads. I may decrease my visibility here, I think support is rather well covered now.

10. Offline

Plague

Nonsense, I don't know about you, but I'm not reading the forum 24/7, better to ninja than to let someone wait for an hour or more for a simple solution.

11. Offline

kjab

Looks like he was trying to run a server with 1KB of RAM. Note the lack of M's after 1024

@TnT
    yeah, I deleted it because apparently you can't have code blocks inside a quote block. Who knew?

See above your post..

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2016
  12. Offline

TnT

Not me. Good eye on the 1 KB of ram though. lol

13. Offline

Colten

I installed Windows XP because it is the one thing I know to debug the best on, I tried ubuntu and other distros of linux and end up getting frustrated because i can't seem to get the right answer to setting things up for it or even using it. I also Don't use Mac. haha

I had no idea what it meant. I saw that being the default on setting up the bukkit servers using that command. So yeah

14. Offline

TnT

Use this if you want to give Ubuntu a try. I'll help with the setup on that thread if you need.

15. Offline

kjab

When you use -Xms and -Xmx you are setting the amount of RAM you are allowing java to use. You had -Xms1024 -Xmx1024 which is saying you are letting it use 1024 Bytes of Ram. You need to add a modifier to the number to allow more RAM usage. K for Kilobytes, M for Megabytes, G for Gigabytes etc. I use
    Code:
    java -server -Xmx1024M -jar craftbukkit.jar nogui
    to launch my server. The -server flag tells java to use the Server JVM instead of the regular JVM and -Xmx1024M says that this instance of java can use a maximum of 1024MB (1GB) of ram with no limit on the minimum.

16. Offline

Colten

What i really want to know is what is the best software that i should run it on? Cuz i would like to run it on that

17. Offline

kjab

I run on Ubuntu 10.04.1 and have had no problems with keeping it running for long periods (1.5 weeks so far). It runs on a desktop environment that is shared among other users.

18. Offline

Colten

the desktop is shared between other users?

19. Offline

TnT

Check my post above - I link to running it on Ubuntu 10.10 x64 (which is what I run on it on).

20. Offline

kjab

The sever is used for other uses than just serving minecraft is the point i was trying to make but couldn't phrase it right.

21. Offline

mughi

running the same thing.. no problems here
    (also, your server start command greatly reduced the number of can't keep up errors i was getting).. thanks

22. Offline

TnT

No problem, glad it works. I found it from someone else on these forums a long while ago.

23. Offline

Colten

Hey @TnT I have read your guide and got everything going for the most part until i try to execute the start.sh file. It says permission denied, i tried modifying permissions via chmod multiple times using different ways. and it doesn't change. If i try to start it with sudo it tells me there is no such command as ./start.sh. If i try to go into winscp and execute the file it tells me "error executing custom command ./! on file start.sh failed with return code 126 error message

24. Offline

kjab

in the console type
    Code:
    sudo chmod +x start.sh && sudo chown <your username> start.sh
    in the directory where start.sh is

25. Offline

Colten

-bash ./start.sh : permission denied

26. Offline

TnT

Are you in the /opt/craftbukkit directory? Type: pwd

27. Offline

Colten

yeah says:
    Rizowski@rizos-server:eek:pt/craftbukkit$

typed in pwd:
    asked for pass typed that in and thats it.

28. Offline

TnT

What does your start.sh file look like?

29. Offline

Colten

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    wget "http://artifacts.lukegb.com/artifactory/plugins-snapshot/org/bukkit/craftbukkit/0.0.1-SNAPSHOT/craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar"
    rm craftbukkit.jar
    mv craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar craftbukkit.jar
    java -d64 -Xincgc -Xmx4G -jar craftbukkit.jar nogui

30. Offline

TnT

do this and paste the output:
    Code:
    ls -lah /opt/craftbukkit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.