Error trying to move server to a new computer

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Minichiz, Aug 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Minichiz

I would very much enjoy some help with this. I currently run my bukkit server 1060 on my Macbook Pro, but it gets real annoying sometimes trying to run it 24/7 with it lagging up my computer and stuff. I happened to have an old desktop that had broken a few years ago and decided to fix it so I could host my server on there. I fresh installed Windows XP SP3 on it and updated java and things like that. I proceeded to use CraftBukkit Auto Installer [Beginners] to install bukkit for me, and then put my server file on a flash drive and moved it over to the PC, and moved the world files, plugins, etc. into the file on the PC. I set up my static IP on the PC and launched the server on it. It was working alright except that if I got on and I tried to use the /give command or TMI it would say "Error: null" and I was also getting random errors at extreme rapid speed in command prompt. If there is anything you need to know I will be happy to oblige. Thanks to anyones help.
    ~Minichiz

2. Offline

Banana937

Just wondering -- If you had a good working computer that you were going to install an Operating System on, why would you ever use Windows XP SP3?

Why would you even use an OS with a GUI???

In addition to my rant on running a server from a Windows Desktop OS, I need the following things to help you:
    • A list of plugins you have.
    • An error log, from the time you start your server to the time you get the error.

3. Offline

Minichiz

I'm sorry for not knowing anything about GUI at all... or about Windows XP having a GUI and I don't know how to get Linux or anything like that.... I'm not a super advanced developer or anything... just a kid wanting to have fun with friends and meet new people while playing the worlds best computer game. To get you an error log, it would take me a little while, because I'd have to go and re-set up my static ip on the desktop after removing it from my laptop here.. and about the GUI, couldn't I just run the server without GUI? And would you mind explaining to me what exactly GUI is?

4. Offline

Banana937

GUI -- Graphical User Interface

When you get hosting online from any various game server hosting site, they use "servers" which are computers that run an Operating System without a GUI. They don't have a screen/keyboard typically and are accessed via SSH from another computer (typically a Mac or Linux -- considering Windows using a Command Prompt instead of a Bash Terminal like regular Operating Systems). Pretty much, there is no Start button, or Menu Bar, or Desktop. Just folders and a command line.

Also -- as for your comment pertaining to you being a kid wanting to have fun with friends and meet new people while playing the worlds best computer game? Check out my profile. 13 years old :p I'm younger than you. Next time you have a situation like this, I recommend using a Debian-Based Linux Distro without a GUI. You load it onto a CD or Flash Drive, and install from there. It's really easy -- I thought it would be really hard, but then I did it, and was like "Wow. This is really easy" xD

Just PM me if you want helping setting any of this up.

5. Offline

ohtwo

Off topic but you're way more mature than half the people who are older on these forums. Go you. Seriously.

Banana937 likes this.
  6. Offline

Banana937

Thanks! And I was helping him he brought up what a GUI was xD
    @Minichiz I never got that list of plugins or error log btw :p

7. Offline

ohtwo

I run a Linux server with a GUI, but only because I didn't like dealing with SSH and commands all the time. It's just nice to have I guess.

8. Offline

Minichiz

@Banana937 Ya sorry can I get back to you tomorrow? It's 11:20 here and today's my birthday (Which means I just turned 14... so ur not that much older...)... I'm wanting to go to bed now... and I have a party tomorrow so would that be alright? I mean if you insist, I could do it now, but I'd rather just watch tv for a little bit and go to sleep. Oh and another thing is, I've only been playing/been into/known about Minecraft for about 3 months so wbu?
    EDIT: @ohtwo I agree with that. I absolutely HATE SSH and so I would MUCH rather be able to do everything from a normal computer vs having to do SSH...

9. Offline

ohtwo

You can get Linux with a GUI. It's nice, but I'd prefer to run a server from a Mac mini if I could. Just because OS X is easy to manage.

10. Offline

Minichiz

Ik what you mean. and besides, who cares if ur hosting a server on a mac, I'd rather just use a mac for daily things like I do now.

11. Offline

Banana937

Ewww. A mac server. My philosophy is that if you host any type of server on a desktop computer (IRC, WebServer, MC) you should never use it as a computer. Hosting a server on a Mac would mean wasting it for something that could be done on a computer that costs $200-$300 (just like I spent on my Linux server).

Also, I think SSH is blown way out of proportion. Once you learn some basic bash commands, it's so simple. If you need to edit a text document just do:
    Code:
    nano /Path/to/file
    and edit it. Super simple.

Also, @Minichiz -- We're in the same time zone :D I've been playing Minecraft since Beta 1.3 Release (literally, the day of the release) -- so February 22nd. So 6 months.

12. Offline

Minichiz

@Banana937
    Ok well this shall be my last post today and then I shall be going to bed sorry to disappoint anyone. I believe the plugins that it was having a problem with were Multiverse, Spout, and McOverhaul if that helps at all.... I'll get you a full list tomorrow possibly if I can, but I can't promise anything because I'm probably not going to have time to be on the computer tomorrow, but anyway I'll get you your info ASAP ok Banana?

13. Offline

Banana937

Alright -- sounds good. I'm just glad to help. I probably won't be on the computer a lot either, I'm going up to our weekend house and we're going boating tomorrow.

Actually, you're slightly older than me.. did I say I was older than you? Not sure.

EDIT: I'm turning 14 in October.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2016
  14. Offline

Minichiz

ya same here kinda for my birthday party I'm goin out on the lake for a day of tubing, skiing, wake boarding, and kneeboarding with my friends, afterwards comin back home for cake, pizza, video games, air hockey, foosball, and pingpong. And I don't get why someone your age would spend $300 for a computer just to play a game... its just inhuman... How did you get so much money? like what do you do to get it? and whats your bandwidth charge? is urs unlimited?
    EDIT: oh haha sorry I said "so ur not that much older..." I meant I'm not sorry. :p

15. Offline

Banana937

Unlimited bandwidth, and I don't just run my server on it. I also have a webserver where I host my own website, and I'm planning on setting up DynMap soon, as well as an IRC server.

16. Offline

Minichiz

Man what's wrong with you?!?! And where do u go to school, what kind of grades do u get, and what computer classes do u get to take? I want in! haha! I mean I get all A's but dang... I'm wanting to go to MIT for college.. wbu?
    EDIT: also do u have to pay for your internet? and u still didn't answer me about how ur so damn rich..

17. Offline

Banana937

Not quite sure -- I've already started looking into programming. I know basic Java, Python, and want to learn some C++ or C#. I know advanced web development, like HTML, CSS, PHP, JavaScript, and jQuery. The path I'm going right now, I don't even need college xD

As for schooling -- I'd rather not share my location, but I'm going into high school this year, and I get all A's (mostly). Everything I've learned has been from the internet. I find it rather funny, actually. I learn about computers on my computer.

The class I don't get an A in is History. I don't really put any effort in :S It's a rather useless subject, and our school system is retarded. History should be writing essays and such, not taking tests, because knowing history isn't just facts, it's interpreting the past, which my school doesn't understand in the slightest.

If you can't already tell, I get A's in English (good grammar -- spelling -- vocabulary -- sentence structure :p ). Well, I actually have to go. My parents are making me get off my computer D:

18. Offline

ohtwo

Personally, I don't understand why people are so against Macs for personal computers or servers. A Mac is fully capable of running a server, which is light on resources, and does the job just fine. Repurposing an old Mac mini as a server is nothing to complain about, especially if it's available to you. Or even running it on Windows Server if the resources are available.

SSH does the job, but if you have GUI access, why bother with SSH? The only thing I use it for now is file transfer. Plus, it's not like GNOME uses a ton of resources.

But I do run my server on Linux.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

19. Offline

Banana937

I have a Mac, in fact I'm on it now :D I just don't think it's good for running a server of any kind.

20. Offline

Minichiz

@ohtwo ya I love macs. they are amazing. All hail Steve Jobbs! (and Markus Persson). @Banana937 your are insane. keep up with the awesomeness man. oh and ik ur in Connecticut haha it says so on your profile. and I get A's in ALL my classes so HA lol. I use good grammar too, but you know, when you're just trying to get the message out there, its just a bit easier to type ur vs your and not capitalize EVERY SINGLE THING so .... I only use it half the time... well, on the computer I mean, cuz at school I always use it. and the Windows computer will be only used for hosting the server if I can get it working right. Thats the whole purpose of me doing it, so that I can go on vacation and still play on the server, and so that I don't have to close it so I can run other games like Portal or Half-Life or Asphalt 6 which I just purchased from the app store thanks to a $50 iTunes gift card I just got for my bday :D
    I don't understand why my Mac can run the server just fine, but the PC can't.... Fucking Microsoft...

Banana937 likes this.
  21. Offline

Minichiz

@Banana937 Hey when I get you the plugins list, do you need the version too? Or just the names?

22. Offline

Banana937

Just the name works fine.

23. Offline

Minichiz

But would you rather have the version, too?

24. Offline

Banana937

Lol. Sure.

25. Offline

Minichiz

@Banana937 Ok well I'm gonna try and get you all of it asap but right now I can't find my flash drive... I need it so I can transfer the server and stuff but it's nowhere to be seen! :(] I just got an 8gb at Walmart and now its gone! Wish me luck!!!

26. Offline

Banana937

Ouch. 8GB flash drive gone? Alright, good luck finding it.

27. Offline

Minichiz

@Banana937 Well I found it, right under my nose... Not literally though because that would be weird. I have a wireless keyboard and its got a long usb thing and it stands up, and my flash drive was right underneath it, sitting right next to my computer... I feel kinda stupid now.. haha ok well I'm gonna get you what you need as soon as I can :)

@Banana937 Ok well I set it up on the desktop again and ran it, but what happens is, after it would get to "Done" it starts shooting out errors and prevents me from doing anything, even stopping it, so I have to close it completely. Anything you suggest I should try?

28. Offline

Banana937

Follow this guide:
    1. Turn off your server.
    2. Delete server.log.
    3. Run your server.
    4. When you get the error, stop the server.
    5. Post the entire server.log either in CODE tags or on Pastie.

29. Offline

Minichiz

@Banana937 Ok I'll try that but sorry if I don't because I just deleted the entire .craftbukkit folder and I was gonna try and selectively move things from the mac 1 to the pc one. But you know, when that doesn't work I'll undo the delete and try it your way! Ok?

30. Offline

Banana937

Alright, sounds good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.