Solved Embarrassing essentials help

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by nhadobas, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

nhadobas

Recently someone came on my server who i thought was my real life friend. He did a lot of /mail sendall with slanderous comments towards my server and my players. Where can i find the mail information, because every new player will see the messages he sent. I want to remove them.

2. Offline

Jeyge

I did a quick search thru the Essentials code and it looks like at the most, it will send the mail to every person who has a user file in the Essentials directory. If you want to try to clean it all up, you can look for the following in each file and remove it:
    Code:
    mail:
    - '<sender>: hi'

I'm sure you could do a regex search and replace with Notepad++ to remove all of them if needed.

3. Offline

nhadobas

No it sends it to new players. Plus I have over 10000 player data files. So that isn't a possibility. I just need to stop making it send to new players who just joined.

4. Offline

Jeyge

I guess it is still possible that it can send it to people who haven't even joined your server yet but this was the code that I found:
    Code:java
    2. private class SendAll implements Runnable
    3. {
    4. String message;
    6. public SendAll(String message)
    7. {
    8. this.message = message;
    9. }
    11. @Override
    12. public void run()
    13. {
    14. for (String username : ess.getUserMap().getAllUniqueUsers())
    15. {
    16. User user = ess.getUserMap().getUser(username);
    17. if (user != null)
    18. {
    19. user.addMail(message);
    20. }
    21. }
    22. }
    23. }

I guess if it is sending to all new people, you should be able to find a file in the Essentials config directory that is doing it. If not, I'll bet you will find the mails in your user files.

5. Offline

nhadobas

Already looked, can't find any files containing it. I had to put the server offline for now. Really need people to help out.

6. Offline

Jeyge

Perhaps you have another plugin that handles the mails that are going to new players. I really don't see how the code that I posted could possibly send it to someone who hasn't been on your server before. What it would have done is added the mail to all 10k user files in your Essentials directory.

7. Offline

nhadobas

No it's not another plugin....the plugin is essentials and it has always done this.

Sorry to bump early, but this is a big problem.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2016
  8. Offline

DuneRacoon

You could wipe your essentials data and start fresh..

9. Offline

nhadobas

Thats also eliminating over 10000 player data files. Im thinking it saves the info inside the plugin .jar.

10. Offline

LiLChris

Don't ask me how as I don't know, but I think you can do this with GREP or something similar if your using linux.
    This is what I googled "linux grep delete lines after"
    Sorta found ideas on how to get it to work, I barely know my way around that action if not I would try and help more.

You need something that will look for the word mail then delete that word and everything after it.
    I think nothing is after mail in the essentials player file so it would be safe to do.

I needed this also last week, but not for a crysis just wanted to undo a message I sent...wasn't a big deal.
    Went looking at the Essentials feature request and saw one asking the same, might want to look for it and see the response they gave. ;)

11. Offline

nhadobas

You dont realize this sends it to NEW players that JUST joined.

12. Offline

LiLChris

I wasn't aware it sent to new players, are you sure its not another plugin? :eek:
    How about you list what plugins you using?

Wonder if its a cleverly placed command block...

13. Offline

Necrodoom

essentials doesnt send messages to players without userdata.
    this is completely impossible with existing code.
    are you sure you are using essentials' mail?
    also please move essentials feature requests/error reports to issue tracker, where they can be handled by essentials helpers and developers.

14. Offline

nhadobas

No, found out where it was placed. I completely forgot my developer added that into the code of essentials. Another hurp derp moment for me. Thank though.

15. Offline

niels1189

I kinda used /mail sendall You are now op.

But as soon as a new player joins they get the msg. Yes this is essentials.

Wondering if anyone knows how to get rid of it. (as far as I know nothing is edited)

16. Offline

Necrodoom

are you sure its a new player? its quite hard to send mail to a new player if he doesnt even have userdata.

17. Offline

niels1189

Don't ask me how or why. It just does it for some reason.

18. Offline

Bobcat00

I would recommend taking away the permission essentials.mail.sendall from everyone.

19. Offline

Necrodoom

just tested it and cannot replicate, confirming the fact its logically impossible.
    it cant be a new player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.