Download client mods for each session to RAM

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by spoothie, Jul 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

spoothie

Hello,
    first, please notice: I don't want anyone to make something like that possible, I was just wondering if it theoretically would work. And please tell me if you can't understand what I mean, my english skills aren't the best. Here is my idea:
    If you e.g. want to use selfmade block types on your server, you have to install a client mod to see/use them on the server, right? I figured out that most people actually don't like to install several client mods for different mods on a server. But wouldn't it be possible to download the needed files of the client mod each time for one single session on a server? So if you join on a server you are automatically downloading the needed files for the mods on the server. These files would be saved to your RAM and if you leave the server, they would be deleted.
    It's just a basically idea, I don't know if it actually would work or how it would work. I hope someone knows more about this whole thematic and can answer my question.

spoothie

2. BukkitContrib plans to have this at some point afaik.

3. Offline

coder13

it could be possible. as long as the client knows it needs to download some files. it is not told in vanilla so a client mod is installed. now if notch implemented listening for blocks and other content to download, that would be cool.

4. Offline

spoothie

Hopefully it can and will be done, that would be really awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.