Don't understand how java flags correspond to each other

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by byzantinian, Apr 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

byzantinian

So some guides have this as their "noobie guide setup to Craftbukkit"

Code:
    java -Xincgc -Xmx1024M -jar craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar
    while others have this (though some people seem to indicate this is the old way of doing it?)

Code:
    java -Xms1024M -Xmx1024M -jar craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar
    After some Googling, I understand Xms gives a starting heap size, Xincgc enables incremental garbage collection, and Xmx gives the maximum allotted memory size for the heap.

What I can't seem to grasp from random Google finds, is how is Xincgc better or even differently used than Xms. Are they mutually exclusive to each other? Couldn't you have something like

Code:
    java -Xincgc -Xms1024M -Xmx1024M -jar craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar
    I saw another thread with people discussing in-depth script flags, but that's way over my head at the moment and I didn't want to derail it with my question. Just looking for an explanation to the basic script everyone is told to use.

2. Offline

Plague

They're not mutually exclusive, the -Xms line is from the first wiki guide which was sort of bad, so there were people that suggested a better commandline with Xincgc

3. Offline

byzantinian

Awesome, so while it's now recommended to set garbage collection to enabled and enable a max heap size, it's a bad thing to recommend setting a starting heap size? I would think you would want to enable that from the start so it doesn't have to call for more if you have a dedicated amount of memory for it anyways.

4. Offline

Plague

Well it's not BAD per se, just unneded, virtual allocation is not that slow...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.