Domain

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by qrux, Jan 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

qrux

Hello, i have a question.
    If i buy a domain name for my server, let's say example.com, can i edit the DNS to point to my "IP:25565", and at the same time point it to my website (which is running on the same server, in a different folder)?
    So if a user logs in on Minecraft with example.com, he joins my server. At the same time, if he enters "example.com" in his web browser, he comes to the website.
    Is this possible? If it is, how can i do it?

Thanks,
    qrux

2. Offline

TnT

That's simple DNS.

DNS will only point to an IP address. The applications themselves may use default ports. For example, by default, the web uses port 80. By default Minecraft uses port 25565. So when connecting to your server, or website, they would just enter example.com and the application itself would set the default port.

3. Offline

Pezmantbh

This is possible.

The way we do it is we run our web server on the same machine as the minecraft server. Then when going to ourdomain.com we get our website, and when going to it in Minecraft it loads too.

The way this works is because the domain is just a name, which is then resolved into an ip. This is all done quickly, so for example qwerty.com will resolve to the ip of the machine its being hosted on (lets say 12.34.5.67) and load the content from the webserver. When you load it in minecraft it will be the same as typing in the IP.

So, to make it short, as long as the web server and minecraft server are on the same machine it will work fine :) It is just simple DNS stuff

4. Offline

qrux

Oh, i see. Thanks a lot!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.