Does a server need fast internet?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by desktopanimations, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just a quick question, what internet speeds do you need for a server with 10/100 players. Does the internet speed mater?
    Would these speeds be good?
    download: 20MBPS
    upload: 1.3MBPS
    and for how many players?
    Lots of questions ^.^
    Any help would be great!

2. Offline

AyshineMatt

First of all, yes, you definitely need a good Internet connection for nearly any gaming servers you wish to host. About your speeds, your upload speed worries me, you might want to check that out.

3. Offline

Iaccidentally

Short answer: If you want to host more than a few friends, yes.

4. Offline

MyPictures

Minecraft uses a ton of CPU, memory and network. So as other ones said: Network is one of the most important things you need for it (depends on how many players you want to host).

This website is kinda interesting: http://canihostaminecraftserver.com/

5. Thank you, it's just a question I've had for a while:)

6. Offline

lDucks

As everyone has said, yes you need great Internet. Based on your stats your download is just fine, but your upload is very below par. You would need about 20 up in order to have a fairly stable server. I assume you want to host the server off your home network, which I just wouldn't advise all together. Let's say you're downloading a Steam Game while running your server, your upload will be greatly effected.. etc.

7. Offline

Niknea

8. Offline

MrTomTomHD

9. I'm paying someone to host it at the moment. I was just looking into doing it my self.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.