Displaying 3d plans from schematic files with water blocks

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by RustyDagger, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Offline

RustyDagger

so what minecraft has needed for a long long time in my opinion is a way to share and view plans. sharing is easy we mostly use schematic files.

My idea is for a schematic viewing system ingame. how can this work you ask well i have been sitting and developing this idea for a few months and even tried to code it at one point (but im a java noob.)

how it works.

Command in game loads a schematic file with a file name.
    user then uses another command like /view <num> the number is for a slice of the plan starting at the lowest and working to the highest point of the file. the plugin displays the pattern using water blocks that have been stopped from flowing. the reason for this is because then the user can come along with real blocks and place them where the water is. and make the building. only needs water where there is air forgot to mention that bit...

other commands like /slice <num> could be used
    maybe /finished or /view its really up to the plugin dev prob all sub commands of /sv.

worries. i am not sure how server intensive stopping a few 100 blocks of water from flowing in every direction could be. also need to take into account the user placing blocks near the water would cause a block update and make it want to flow again.

this plugin would replace the hours of work of switching windows and building that no1 really likes and make it into an easy fun task.

2. Offline

Pinkishu

Hmm only part I didn't get was "only needs water where there is air"?
    As In in the game world if there is another block where water would be placed, it won't be placed?

3. Offline

RustyDagger

yes other wise the player could not build the plan because the plan would replace what he had built with water.

Also the reason behind using water is because you can place another block where it is later on down the track spout could be used to optimize this idea by creating a new block that is designed for showing the user where to place the blocks. water is just suitable for now I guess lava is as well but well... safety hazard much.

so plugin displays where to build with water and user places blocks where water is once the layer is finished the user types some thing like /plan show 2 and the plugin shows the next layer of the plan. the plan is sliced into 1 block layers horizontally.

4. Offline

Pinkishu

Yeah... hmm would it be a problem if only the player that uses it sees the water?

5. Offline

RustyDagger

I guess not. another thing i did not cover was placement of the plan i guess some thing a bit like world edits placement system could be used.

6. Offline

Pinkishu

Well I made a little prototype, going to have to try around with it more but seems to work so far~ Not sure how good it is though hehe
    Will see tomorrow
    I got it to load the .schematic and show the water so far

7. Offline

RustyDagger

wow very nice.

8. Offline

Pinkishu

any reason for not using a plugin that directly copies it into the world btw?

9. Offline

RustyDagger

Because that's not the point of my idea that would be cheating getting a huge building made with no effort and no time spent making it. this just assists the user in making a building with out cheating the user still needs to collect and place all the blocks the plugins just showing them where to place. that also leaves room for creativity because the user needs to pick what blocks to put where so that it looks nice.

the aim was to provide a way to build large projects with out hours of grinding backwards and forwards between a plan is jay paint.net and minecraft switching windows is a real annoyance this would allow the plan to flow into the game and be seamless gameplay and still do the job.

in fact now that i think back on what you said before about only use command user seeing the plan would make for some really nice video's

10. Offline

Pinkishu

Well the problem with that way is that whenever the chunk updates (i.e. someone places a torch or so) it would be gone - unless circumventing it; but I was told I'd have to capture lots of packets and such for that :/
    So probably stopping the blocks is the way to go lol

11. Offline

RustyDagger

with out being able to place blocks its pointless. if spout ever adds block support creating a new block would be the real way to go and making is so that you can place another block where it is. any block that a non spout user see's will look like stone so that's fairly cool.

i cant think of a better block that water, lava that could do the job for now but i get what you mean with the chunk updates and the water wanting to flow every where. It dose not matter if other people can see it. i could always make up a texture pack for the camera man with invisible water :D

12. Offline

RustyDagger

Would really really like some thing like this. nearly willing to pay for it.

if i had this what i could do is make 3d models in say google sketchup convert them to .binvox / viewvox then make a schematic file from that (converter already exists.) then i could build my own 3d model ingame with out hours of flicking between viewvox and minecraft.

the ability to do this would be so amazing because there are millions of amazing 3d models in the google 3d libary.

13. Offline

jeroende2e

This sounds reaaalllllyyyyy awesome.
    hard though make though i think..

14. Offline

Pinkishu

Haha I think the hardest about it is making sure nothing breaks (e..g water blocks start flowing etc)

15. Offline

Don Redhorse

well why not use a wireframe model? that would require spout though in this case... similar to the addon for worldedit..

16. Offline

RustyDagger

I'm fine with using spout that way it could be done. a ton more optimized than dealing with water down side if you used a block with spout it would show up as stone for non spout users but say some kind of spout HUD element or some thing to display where to build would not make non spout users see a block just a user placing blocks making a model :D.

I have 20 AUD sitting in my paypal will donate it to any plugin dev that can make this with spout that suits my needs (video making time lapse is really what I want to do. ) its worth it for the minecraft community :D

17. Offline

Pinkishu

not sure on spout, i don't really use it; but for serverside i've only seen on-screen GUI's rather than ingame stuff? not sure on clientside

18. Offline

RustyDagger

Spout can be used to close the gap between client and server normally to add a GUI to a server you would need a client mod to see it well spout is just an all in 1 client mod that the server can control. Spout has its own API it would be worth looking at. And im sure if you asked the right people they could point you in a good direction :D

19. Offline

Pinkishu

Well as I said, so far I only know of serverside GUIs, and these use screeninstad of world

20. Offline

RustyDagger

server has your plugin and spout. spout connects to spout client spout client draws GUI that spout tells it to.

your plugin just has to tell spout what to send to the client its perfect for this idea.

21. Offline

Pinkishu

Well i'm pointing out that its a HUD, e.g. a health-bar or something; didn't see anything like showing a wireframe model

22. Offline

RustyDagger

Ok then lets change the idea some to suit that. (spout is adding the ability to add new blocks to the game you could use that in the near future they have already started on the frame work for it.)

Ok so here is the changed idea we use an ingame hud to display where to build.

[​IMG]

Hud could look some thing like this (minecraft style ofc) base idea is a grid around the player is displayed orange being blocked needed green being correctly placed blocks (maybe some kind of red for incorrect idk this could lead to confusion, the U/D is for layer up / down buttons would not fit on my pic :( mode is to change the view size / way the plan acts.

by default the player is always in the center of the plan meaning if the player moves a block so dose the plan so the player can always reference where to build relating to his pos. (player icon may need a facing indicator as well)

Another words it would act a bit like a map only the map is showing you where to build a load command or some thing would still be needed. this idea is still far worse than my main idea but if its possibal it would speed up building from paint.net or Binvox plan 10x

23. Offline

Pinkishu

xD So you know which type of blocks you'll place right?

24. Offline

RustyDagger

well that could be a mode i guess you could also show what type of block to place where with that system but it would need like a non highlighted version of the block so you could tell if its placed or not I was thinking just a plain placed/not placed system.

would also need a button to bring the mouse active so you could change settings or just use commands to change it and the hud to display it.