[Discuss] Auto Update API

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by feildmaster, Jun 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

feildmaster

I'm interested if anyone would want/use an Auto Update API.

I already have a base code for the API. (I based it off Jayjay110's auto updater, and decided to make an API for any plugins/developers that would want to use it)

But before I finalize it and release it, I'm wondering if it would be used and what features would be wanted.

So, please do discuss. ;)

2. Offline

Lithixium

@feildmaster I would like to use it! All I would want is to be able to put a direct link to my plugin and if the version is not the same it will download and install. I would use Jayjay110's auto updater but I was getting an error when defining the object. It would say The constructor Updater(PvPlus) is undefined :(

3. Offline

codename_B

This should be up to the server-admins when they update. :S so at least make it optional if you do implement it.

You're better leaving it (either optional auto-updating) or leaving it up to a plugin manager such as MagnaIpsum or CraftBukkitUpToDate etc to install/update them.

If you use BukkitDev people can automatically update their plugin whenever you make a new release on there using MagnaIpsum! BukkitDev ftw ;)

4. Offline

feildmaster

It would have been completely dependent on the server-admin to use the API. What I meant was a plugin where instead of having a BILLION people use their own code, you'd have this plugin, and you could hook into it for the auto update.

Since no one even cared to respond for months, I assumed no one wanted it and never worked on it.

And I hate CButD. :D Never heard of magnaipsum.

5. Offline

codename_B

MagnaIpsum doesn't require plugin developers to submit static links, it parses them from BukkitDev :3

This is a vid of it in action for you :3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.