[DEV, CHAT] Conversations v1.0 [740]

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by Cogito, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Offline

Cogito

Conversations

Version: 1.0.0

An initial release of Conversations is here! Some examples of how to use Conversations to add an extra dimension of interaction to your plugins will be up soon!!

Conversations is useless by itself, so adding it to your server without any other plugins that use it will not change or add a thing.

Links
    Get the latest jar.

Browse the java docs online.

The accompanying javadoc packaged.

Watch the wiki for examples and more information - its not there yet but it soon will be!

Examples
    I will show here some examples of how Conversations can be used to improve the user interface of your plugin. For examples of how to code these, see the wiki (note: coding examples may be incomplete or non-existent).

Sending Messages
    Conversations allows a plugin to send a player both messages and questions. As a simple messaging protocol, Conversations allows for some simple improvements above the standard Player.sendMessage("Hello!"). Plugins are able to specify a name that the user will see the message coming from, and colours that the name and message are displayed in. This means that the player is easily able to see who the messages are coming from, and also ensures that these messages are visible amongst other chat.

Sending Questions
    Questions are what makes Conversations really powerful. When a question is asked no more messages or questions are sent until a valid reply is received. Anything that the user types, which isn't a command, is sent to the plugin that asked the question. If the plugin decides that this is not a valid reply it is broadcast like a normal chat message - otherwise the message is consumed by the plugin and no one else sees it.

This allows for intuitive dialogue between a player and a plugin, in the form of question-response type interaction. For example, the following is very easy to do with Converstations:

Cogito:/tp Fran
    <Teleporter> Sorry Cogito, I don't know anyone called Fran.
    <Teleporter> Did you mean Frank?
    Cogito:yes
    <Teleporter> Ok! Teleporting you to Frank.

Notice that the reply 'yes' was issued not as a command, but as normal chat. For some users knowing when to issue commands and when to just chat can be difficult - however most learn very quickly, and really enjoy this new kind of interaction.

---

What Conversations Is
    Conversations allows for intuitive and powerful dialogue between plugins and players.
    It provides a simple, clean interface for plugins to asynchronously communicate with players, asking questions and receiving replies.

What Conversations Is Not
    This is not a chat replacement. It is not intended to broadcast messages, take polls or format chat. Some of these features could potentially be included at a later date, but hopefully that stuff can be handled by other plugins.

Some Aims of Conversations
    • Intuitive communication between a plugin and one player.
    • Queuing of conversations, so that a player only sees one at a time.
    • Queuing of messages for offline players. [not done yet - waiting on persistence]
    • Allow question and response style dialogues, without any need for commands.
    How Far Away Is Conversations?
    Conversations is usable at the moment, however it has bugs and unfinished features. Persisting messages does not yet work, and will be delayed until bukkit persistence is finished.

If Conversations sounds interesting to you, please feel free to add your comments and suggestions here.

rakiru likes this.
  2. Offline

Tylui

Sounds fantastic! :) I eagerly await a release.

3. Offline

RyanTheLeach

Wow. is this happening?

4. Offline

Cogito

I have more or less got stable version now, will release soon. There are a few different ways to use it, so I might have to show some examples or something - but its quite straightforward. Also, having some issues at the moment with windows servers and cross plugin dependancies, need to get that worked out too. Still, it looks good :D

5. Offline

niko

just curious, are you using JMS for this?

6. Offline

Cogito

Not using JMS - haven't worked with it before, but it's ideology is somewhat different to mine. Perhaps its worth looking into more, but that can be for later versions.

All the platform specific /weird dependency issues have been worked out, so perhaps I will release this soon!

7. Offline

Cogito

It's a release! Be sure to check out the opening post for links to the plugin and documentation.

8. Offline

Xin_TiGeR

even though i have read the thread i cant quite figure what this plugin do..

do you talk to plugins is that is? how do you talk to a plugin, they answer? 0.O

9. Offline

Cogito

I added some examples in the OP, hopefully that makes it a little more clear :)

Note: Conversations allows plugins to talk to you - not necessarily you to talk to plugins. Only plugins that use Conversations will have this functionality.

10. Offline

Plague

@Cogito does this work for 740? :)

11. Offline

Cogito

I assume so, untested. Also, I'm looking at making this a library so that plugin authors can distribute it packaged with their plugin.

12. Offline

maetthew

Wow can't wait for ppl to implement this in their plugins! VERY VERY GOOD WORK!

13. Offline

AcidicTaco

RAWR wtf bro!? 404 error for the download link? I want this! gimmmeeeee

ok so I got the file now, but there's no commands or anything, so what does it do currently?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2016
  14. Offline

jonassm

Hmm... Hey cogito, why isnt this updated?