Suggestion Deleting post

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by mcdorli, Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

mcdorli

So basically, I try to be active everytime I can, and I often use my mobile internet to post answers, but it's very slow, and I always end up posting my answers 2 times, then it gets auto merged, and I need to delete the second message. Or I see other people misinterpreting what the other said for a moment, but they create an answer and later they edit it to say something like "nevermind". My question is, it is possible, to create a "delete post" button somewhere around the edit button? I know, moderators can delete the answers, so I think it isn't impossible.

Thanks.

2. Online

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

@mcdorli It was there, got misused and was disabled.
    That is as far as I know at least.

3. Offline

mcdorli

Yeah, I knew that it was there, because there are old threads, where somebody quoted a post wich wasn't there.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  4. Online

That could also be removed by moderators / admins :p

5. Offline

mcdorli

Is there a chance, that it gets re-added with the same mechanic, as the edit works in conversations, that it only allows you to edit it for up to 5 minutes?

6. Online

My merge bot often works faster then that when it gets back up.

7. Offline

mcdorli

Yeah, I that's a point. Then maybe can your merge bot check, if the 2 messages are the same?

8. Online

That is something that I can implement.

mcdorli and oceantheskatr like this.
  9. Offline

Necrodoom_V2

I must say i find it funny that Curse disabled the delete feature for 'abuse', considering in my days of moderating there wasnt any abuse i could ever see that could be done with delete.

Moderators and Administrators are always able to see deleted posts, this only inconveniences users on Bukkit Forums further. It seems more likely it was broken by Curse updates like the rest of the broken features.

10. Online

Made the changes required for this.

11. Offline

mcdorli

Thanks

12. Offline

Mrs. bwfctower

Actually I believe it removed due to users deleting entire threads with it.

13. Offline

Necrodoom_V2

@Mrs. bwfctower Users deleting their own support threads was never deemed a problem, and i recall that its possible to prevent that while still allowing to delete other comments.

14. Offline

Mrs. bwfctower

15. Offline

mcdorli

Most of the programmers are lazy, I have seen a lot of times, that when something didn't work, or had a bug in it, then they simply deleted the feature or added a way to solve it , but didn't solve the real problem. For example: in left 4 dead 2, the physic engine sucks, there are at least 1 point in every map, where the player can get out of bounds. Hiw did the developers solve this problems? They put invincible zombies where players should not be. An update to the engine would be too hard to make.

16. Offline

teej107

I think the real problem is that users would delete threads once their problem is solved.

17. Offline

mcdorli

Make the forst post undeletable, that's it.

18. Offline

Mrs. bwfctower

@mcdorli How? They couldn't find an option for it, and they clearly don't want to spend too much time doing something else.

19. Offline

Necrodoom_V2

The problem is that its Curse's standard response to Bukkit. We have bug reports back from like 2011 which Curse didnt even look at, much less fixed. There was also a Reddit thread about Minecraft forums being awful and calling Mojang to do something, which went ignored too. Its also why the Terraria community left Curse.

Instead of Curse just breaking features then removing them, they should actually work on fixing it. If they are going to kick out who managed the website, atleast they should own up to it and actually do something.

20. Offline

eyamaz

I'll spend a little bit of time looking at things here once we begin the site migrations from the old system to the new system. The permission for post deletion was broken during a xenforo update.

We didn't kick anyone out. http://bukkit.org/forums/staff-goodbyes.93/

21. Offline

Necrodoom_V2

@eyamaz Evilseph never resigned, he was kicked out by Curse/Mojang, which led to the good byes in the first place. No, the announcement didnt say he resigned either.

22. Offline

eyamaz

I enjoy your skewed version of events and miss information about the reason staff resigned. Our team did not even take over the forums for a month after the resignations. You can verify this by the time our accounts where created and by the time the announcements where made. This was also the same time that all the staff had their permissions changed, including Evilseph. This I know because Jadedcat and I where the ones to change all of the permissions.

As to the reason why Evilseph was relieved of duty, frankly, that is no one's business except for for Evilseph and whoever made the actually decision be it Mojang or Curse. They are free to contact the higher ups if they deem fit.

This site is being retooled as a place for authors and server owners to receive help for both the original Bukkit and any "alternatives" we choose to allow our users to provide support for. That currently includes builds by MD_5 and the Spigot team of Craftbukkit and Spigot, but not BungeeCord.

If you want to claim "DMCA" on Spigot, well, that is a legality between Wolverness and MD_5. If MD_5 and his legal team believe they cured the issues presented by the original DMCA, then it is Wolverness job to issue litigation to their team so that the issue is resolved in a court of law. Meanwhile, MD_5 can continue hosting his cured project until a legal decision is made in favor of Wolverness. That is the magical order of the DMCA.

If you are now unsatisfied with how this site is run, changes we have made and/or will make, or the current staff, you are not obliged in any way, shape, or form to remain here. If you wish to keep using the site to help those users that require help with their plugin code or to server owners needing help with permissions and such, you are free to do so. If you choose to continue spreading misinformation like the quoted post or be a general disruption, you will find yourself unable to do the former any longer.

We appreciate constructive criticism from all of our users and invite feedback. The ultimate decision on what the site offers and how it is run, however, is left to the decision of the administration. Not everyone is going to like something. There are more than a few changes planned that are waiting until the migration of DBO to the new system you can see at Curseforge. This may or may not include policy changes to plugin uploads, which is the reason for the wait.

23. Offline

Necrodoom_V2

Are you not a Curse employee? Only Curse could change permissions on our forums.

Er, no, Evilseph was demoted way before that, and his annoucement was erased (before being restored afterwards), even if you specifically did not do this, it is still Curse. Kaelten's responses about the matter also confirm Curse involvement started from around the annoucement.

Not like i even mentioned this issue in this thread, but il entertain it either way:
    http://bukkit.org/threads/is-bukkit-really-discontinued.318628/page-3#post-2915569

For some reason, Wolverness recieved this, however:
    https://twitter.com/wolvereness/status/539581538816380928

As far as im aware, this wasnt solved.

I still consider it the website of Bukkit, as well as Bukkit Staff, even despite the fact you think this doesnt matter. I support who ever uses an official Bukkit software, and provide information that is helpful to them.

Ignoring the unneeded threat, im actually interested why you think my claim that 'Evilseph was kicked out by curse/mojang' is wrong, considering Grum said it is correct.

I had been trying to do so from day one. However, when Curse said they listen to feedback will follow it, but then proceed to do the exact opposite from it, it doesnt inspire me to think you are interested in it. When i send tickets asking about a Curse policy or about a bug report then witness the report instantly be set to 'resolved' without being read, it doesnt inspire me to think that you are interested in it.

When i first received the PMs from Jadedcat, i was told that the aim is to preserve what this site used to be. Was this truly your aim? If so, i can always explain you each and every one of the policies we used to enforce, and why we did them. My goal in the end is a better Bukkit infrastructure, and it always has been. Im tired of you accusing me of trying to be toxic to the community i moderated myself.

24. Offline

mcdorli

Offtopic, offtopic...
    This thread was started about I wanted to get a delete button, now it is an argument about "Curse kicked out employees"

@timtower a lock please?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

timtower likes this.
  25. Online

Locked on request

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.