[DEAD] Spells v0.996

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by NathanWolf, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Offline

NathanWolf

Cool! Sounds fun, once CraftBook is ready I'll have to check that out.

Thanks for the explanation! [​IMG] I never did get a chance to google it.

2. Offline

cartmanbeck

So has this been fixed yet? I'm considering making a server tonight with the Spells plugin, but I don't want to be missing the newest materials! I guess what I'm asking is, irregardless of whether the spells work with it or not, will I be able to mine Lapis lazuli and make dyes IF i am able to find them naturally?

Second quick question: Would i be able to give players access to certain spells and not others, or is it an all-or-nothing thing?

3. Offline

NathanWolf

Oh, sorry if I misled you- there's nothing wrong with Bukkit handling of that in general. If you mine lapiz lazuli ore the old-fashioned way, you should get lapiz lazuli dye.

The problem is that I can't spawn lapiz lazuli dye programmatically. When you mine (the spell) on a block, it's kind of a cheat- I just destroy the block, and then spawn whatever item you were supposed to have got. I could just as easily spawn a loaf of bread when you mine lapiz lazuli :)

Anyway- In spells-classes.txt, you can create groups, give those groups access to individual spells, and then add players to groups. There is some help text in there that is hopefully fairly straighforward- let me know if you have trouble.

This is all going to change soon-ish, in a way that (I hope) will make administration easier. And, yes, probably Permissions support, too.

4. Offline

cartmanbeck

You rock my socks. :-D

NathanWolf likes this.
  5. Offline

NathanWolf

:D
    --- merged: Feb 2, 2011 3:17 AM ---
    Hello, everyone!

The most recent Bukkit (or s0) has broken Spells. Please update the Spells plugin to latest if/when you next update CraftBukkit!

Spells unfortunately "reaches deep" for a lot of its magic, so it breaks pretty easily.

The good news is that, generally, each time it breaks, I get to fix it by refactoring it to use the actual Bukkit API that just got added or fixed.

So, it takes steps towards getting more directly supported by Bukkit, and less reliant on CraftBukkit :)
    --- merged: Feb 2, 2011 11:18 AM ---
    Ok, I know this is really silly, but- would it be fun to have a "discussion" thread for this plugin, or for magic in general?

For one, I'd love to see what people are making with the construction spells. For me, it feels less like cheating than using cuboid or something. I'm still proud of the things I make with magic, I'm just proud in a different way than if I were to have built it by hand.

I find that magic constructions can have a very "organic" feel to them, that I like.

For instance, tonight I was playing around with the spells, I wanted to make a "star" in the sky- a giant sphere of lava encased in glass. I thought it would look really cool, so I went somewhere remote to try it out.

I failed a bit, but the end result was really cool, and I had a lot of fun in the process.

[​IMG]

If you want to see the full "story", click here. Long story short, the lava "leaked" out of the shell, and a million tons of it started pouring towards the ground- as you can see above, I got it contained eventually :)

Anyone have any fun Spells stories?

6. Offline

cartmanbeck

So, I've got everything installed and working as far as the server goes, however I can't get any spells to work! I downloaded craftbukkit #210 like you had said should work in the changelog.
    The java console says that the spells plugin is installed and running, also the wands plugin, but I can't seem to do any spells at all. I have myself set up as an administrator in the spells-classes.txt file as shown here:

# spell-classes.txt
    # Format:
    # group=groupName:command1,command2,command3
    # user=userName:group1,group2,group3
    # 'admins' is a special group that has access to any command - put yourself in it!
    # 'player'/'class' can be used in place of 'user'/'group'.
    player=cartmanbeck:admins

Is there anything else I need to do to make it work? Troubleshooting ideas? Thanks!

7. Offline

NathanWolf

Er... hm... That looks right! Do you get anything when you use "/spells"? Even "You don't know any spells"?

I just re-tested with 0.78 to make sure I hadn't broken console use again or anything dumb like that, but it seemed to work for me.

You can also try adding yourself to ops.txt - let me know if that works, maybe there's something broken with the built-in Spells "permissions system" (I use that loosely), which is on its way out the door anyhow.
    --- merged: Feb 2, 2011 7:26 PM ---
    0.78 is a minor release- thanks to Firestar and the wonderment of open-source (he didn't help me directly, but his code did!), I now know how to properly spawn ItemStack's with data. I also learned how to give them directly to the player, instead of dropping them on the ground at your feet.

So, mine can now mine lapis lazuli ore. Using absorb on a colored wool or log variant will give you the proper block type.

And, absorb and manifest will now give you the material directly, instead of dropping it and hoping you get it. Using mine still drops the item where it was mined, which is the intended behavior.

Note that, for now, if you've got console messages turned on it will say "Mined ink sac", but it still gives you Lapis Lazuli. Part of the refactoring I'm working on will include a material variants system so that the code "knows" more about what a material+data means. In other words, eventually it will be able to say "Mined Lapis Lazuli", but for now it's kind of dumb like that.

8. Offline

cartmanbeck

Typing "/spells" gives me a list like "combat[3],construction[13],etc.", and when i type "/spells combat" it lists the possible combat-related spells. But when i type any of the spells, such as "/ascend" or "/blink", it shows up on the server console as "cartmanbeck used command blink" but doesn't say anything on my screen or anything like that. I'm just not sure where to go next.

9. Offline

NathanWolf

Ah! :) Use "/cast [spellname]".

I should put that in the /spells help text, I think.

Also, check out the Wand plugin. :D

Anyway, have fun- I'm certain /cast will get you going, everything looks like it's working great.

10. Offline

cartmanbeck

Ah, yes, that'll do it. I have the wand plugin in there, I just also don't know how to use it correctly, but I'm sure I can find that on the Wand page. Thanks so much again!!

NathanWolf likes this.
  11. Offline

NathanWolf

No problem! The video on the Wand page is, I think, a pretty good intro to how to use it. It's only 45 seconds long. :)

You can use the "/spells" list to tell what materials represent which spells, and you can also use "/wand <spellname>" to give yourself the icon for that spell...

I think it's really intuitive, once you get the hang of it. Using this with the "quiet" setting in Spells (which will probably be the default in the future- a lot of people ask for it), you can really make an immersive gameplay experience.

If that's not too brave a statement for me to make :)

12. Offline

junus123

Can you help me ? i haven't got learn spells how i can learn them ?

13. Offline

NathanWolf

Either add yourself to your mcserver ops.txt file, or as an admin in spells-classes. Use /spells to see if you know any spells.

14. Offline

junus123

Thank you

NathanWolf likes this.
  15. Offline

NathanWolf

No problem! Let me know if you still have issues.

junus123 likes this.
  16. Offline

coolcraftin1000

im having problems with spells and wands not working. where should i place the jars? or what should i add also (some need manual folders made etc....)

17. Offline

Throk

Same here. It's becouse of last bukkit update. Plugin just don't load.

18. Offline

NathanWolf

The instructions are all in the OP- just put the jars in the plugins folder. If you've added yourself to your ops.txt file, that should be all you need to do.
    --- merged: Feb 3, 2011 7:08 PM ---
    As far as I know, Spells and Wand are both up to date. They were as of yesterday- I had to fix Spells due to the getTime changes.

If something else has happened today, I can check it out later and get updated when I have time.

As always, the last version I've tested on is in the thread title, so you don't have to go assuming :)

19. Offline

coolcraftin1000

k cool but i tried that :/ a while ago....

20. Offline

NathanWolf

EDIT: I just did a Bukkit and Crafbukkit source pull, and everything compiles fine. I haven't tested with the latest repo version, but I've got no reason to think things aren't working.

Please provide specifics if you need help, otherwise everything should be working (regardless of the state of other plugins).
    --- merged: Feb 3, 2011 7:17 PM ---
    Ok, could you please provide me some details, like I request in the "Issues" section (and repeatedly in the thread...) [​IMG]?

Do Spells and/or Wand show up in your server.log? What version#?

Does anything happen when you use /spells or /wand?

21. Offline

coolcraftin1000

its saying that the "tree type" is causing all the problems in the terminal/cmd
    --- merged: Feb 3, 2011 7:22 PM ---
    2011-02-03 11:22:16 [INFO] Starting minecraft server version Beta 1.2_01
    2011-02-03 11:22:16 [INFO] Loading properties
    2011-02-03 11:22:16 [INFO] Starting Minecraft server on *:25565
    2011-02-03 11:22:16 [INFO] Preparing level "ben world"
    2011-02-03 11:22:16 [INFO] Preparing start region
    Preparing spawn area: 40%
    Preparing spawn area: 89%
    2011-02-03 11:22:19 [INFO] [General] version [2.0] (Mafia) loaded
    2011-02-03 11:22:19 [INFO] [iStick] version [1.3] (Forest) loaded
    2011-02-03 11:22:19 [INFO] [Permissions] version [1.9] (Handler) loaded
    2011-02-03 11:22:19 [INFO] WorldEdit 2.15.2 loaded.
    2011-02-03 11:22:19 [INFO] WorldEdit: Permissions plugin detected! Using Permiss
    ions plugin for permissions.
    2011-02-03 11:22:19 [INFO] WorldGuard 3.1.2 loaded.
    2011-02-03 11:22:19 [INFO] WorldGuard: Permissions plugin detected! Using Permis
    sions plugin for permissions.
    2011-02-03 11:22:19 [INFO] WorldGuard: Single session is enforced.
    2011-02-03 11:22:19 [INFO] WorldGuard: TNT ignition is blocked.
    2011-02-03 11:22:19 [INFO] WorldGuard: Lighters are blocked.
    2011-02-03 11:22:19 [INFO] WorldGuard: Lava fire is blocked.
    2011-02-03 11:22:19 [INFO] WorldGuard: All fire spread is disabled.
    GuestBook Ultimate version 1.17 is enabled!
    done.
    GuestBook: Trying to load GuestBook and settings...done.
    GuestBook Ultimate version 1.17 is enabled!
    KitPlugin version 1.03 is enabled!
    2011-02-03 11:22:19 [INFO] [MYWARP]: 3 warps loaded
    2011-02-03 11:22:19 [INFO] [MYWARP] Permissions enabled.
    2011-02-03 11:22:19 [INFO] MyWarp 1.8.2 enabled
    2011-02-03 11:22:20 [INFO] [SpawnControl] version [0.2.2] loaded
    Feb 3, 2011 11:22:20 AM org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer loadPlugins
    SEVERE: org/bukkit/TreeType (Is it up to date?)
    java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/bukkit/TreeType
    at com.elmakers.mine.bukkit.plugins.spells.builtin.TreeSpell.<init>(Tree
    Spell.java:13)
    at com.elmakers.mine.bukkit.plugins.spells.Spells.addBuiltinSpells(Spell
    s.java:865)
    at com.elmakers.mine.bukkit.plugins.spells.Spells.initialize(Spells.java
    :574)
    at com.elmakers.mine.bukkit.plugins.spells.SpellsPlugin.onEnable(SpellsP
    lugin.java:42)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPlugin.setEnabled(JavaPlugin.java:135)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader.enablePlugin(JavaPluginLoader
    .java:293)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.enablePlugin(SimplePluginManage
    r.java:175)
    at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.loadPlugin(CraftServer.java:64)
    at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.loadPlugins(CraftServer.java:45)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.e(MinecraftServer.java:153)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.c(MinecraftServer.java:140)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.d(MinecraftServer.java:104)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:181)
    at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:512)
    Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.bukkit.TreeType
    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.java.PluginClassLoader.findClass(PluginClassLoader.
    java:29)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    ... 14 more
    2011-02-03 11:22:20 [INFO] Done! For help, type "help" or "?"

this is what i get when i put both .jars in the plugins folder
    --- merged: Feb 3, 2011 7:29 PM ---
    oh and nothing happens or can be done using them (none of the wand/ spell commands work

22. Offline

NathanWolf

EDIT: Please see my following post below, in response to Throk.

I had the problem backwards- you have the new Spells, but an outdated CraftBukkit. (I think)

Original post here, but it's not really relevant:

23. Offline

Throk

I have same problem as coolcraftin1000! We have newsest version of bukkit (downloaded while ago), and new version of Your plugin.

This is bukkit problem or just this plugin?

Implementation-Version: git-Bukkit-0.0.0-316-g0c36361-b232

24. Offline

NathanWolf

You need at least Bukkit 210 for Spells to work. When you say "while ago", that makes me think you might not be totally up to date :)

If you want, try an older version of Spells. Older versions can be found here. Anything prior to v0.76 will work with an older Craftbukkit.

Or, update Craftbukkit- whichever way you want to go :)

25. Offline

fuzzyhunter0608

Any idea on an ETA for new features? Not necessarily new spells, but anything?

26. Offline

NathanWolf

Heh :) Welllll.....

The thing is, I've been working on something really "under the radar", unless you've also been following my Persistence plugin, which is a dev thing.

I do keep an up to date roadmap on github, but right now the top 8 items or so are all Persistence stuff.

And, to make matters worse (depending on your perspective), Dinnerbone's recent announcement that he won't be porting Stargate has given me the itch to make an entirely new plugin. So, as soon as Persistence is ready enough to handle the basic requirements for data storage, I may start work on a NetherGate plugin.

It would attempt to replicate the single-player Nether and portal experience as accurately as possible. It would use one or more large underground areas, reshaping them to be Nether-ish, and then a distance-ratio mapping scheme to auto-link portals, just like in single-player. I'll probably make it configurable, but I plan to, by default, use a more aggressive ratio so a smaller Nether can cover a larger part of the world map.

So, anyway, I may be distracted for a bit, sorry. To be honest, other than the people waiting for Permissions support, there isn't really anything that exciting on the horizon- if you go to the bottom-ish of my roadmap, you'll see I have a few TODO's for new spells and spell improvements, but the main improvements that will be coming soon are really going to be more "core", including:

• A better, more robust user/group/permission system that will let you grant/deny spell access via the console, and also allow for Permissions support.
    • A customizable spell variant system, so you can make your own spell variants
    • Moving the material-icon system to Wand, make it customizeable
    • eventually ... players may have ability to mess with targeting parameters (targeting through glass, water, or other materials), or with material lists (to some degree- there have been reports that building with non-building materials breaks things badly, so I'd need to keep it within reason). Would it be cool to be able to "tweak" certain spells? What if you could mine a tree?
    Anyway, that's the big picture. Right now, I'm really mired down in some extremely complex stuff that takes real brain power to work on (I can write spells in my sleep, given a good enough framework underneath).

I also have a day job and a nine-month-old, so yeah- it's one of those "when it's done" things :)

I appreciate your interest- I have been getting little features out here and there while working on the system stuff, for what it's worth. I, for one, am extremely happy with the new recall auto-drop-on-death feature. It's saved me a return trip many times already!
    --- merged: Feb 3, 2011 9:33 PM ---
    Hm- please excuse my ignorance, where does that come from? Does Bukkit have a version command?

I'm not sure what part of that is the "official" release number, or at least what I understand to be as close to "official" as we've got right now... :\

27. Offline

Throk

Ok, from begining :p.

I used this guide (http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/guide-to-finding-your-current-craftbukkit-build.3050/) to check my bukkit version (ingame comand doesn't work). I just copy only line with something like "git-Bukkit-something-188" to show You version. Maybe i copy wrong line, but I didn't saw anything similar.

Next thing... I downloaded last version from this topic: http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/faq-1-where-do-i-download-bukkit-craftbukkit.458/ . And Your plugin have problems with it. I mean:

Code:
    SEVERE: org/bukkit/TreeType (Is it up to date?)
    java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/bukkit/TreeType
    like in coolcraftin1000 's post.

PS. Sorry for my english ;_;

28. Offline

NathanWolf

If the ingame command (/version) doesn't work, then you must not have the latest CraftBukkit build. I get something like this when I use "/version":

Code:
    This server is running Craftbukkit version git-Bukkit-something-210 (MC: 1.2_01)
    I also get some extra stuff about my installed plugins- but the "210" part is the important part, that matches I put in my thread topic.

Anyway, thanks for that pointer- I didn't actually know about the "/version" command!

Hm- that seems to be basically the same place as the link I have above, but I can't really tell from the "artifactory" link what version it really is.

You please try this one? It's 238, but I don't think anything has changed since 210 that would break Spells (can't speak for other plugins):

http://bamboo.lukegb.com/browse/BUKKIT-CRAFTBUKKIT-238/artifact

It's not a problem- I can understand you fine :)

29. Offline

Throk

/version crashes mine minecraft client :p

Ok. I has tested with Your version of bukkit.

When I uses blink (in wand):

Code:
    SEVERE: Could not pass event PLAYER_ITEM to Wand
    java.lang.NullPointerException
            at com.elmakers.mine.bukkit.plugins.spells.Spells.getPermissions(Spells.java:57)
            at com.elmakers.mine.bukkit.plugins.spells.Spells.getSpell(Spells.java:44)
            at com.elmakers.mine.bukkit.plugins.wand.WandPlayerListener.onPlayerItem(WandPlayerListener.java:177)
            at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader$7.execute(JavaPluginLoader.java:153)
            at org.bukkit.plugin.RegisteredListener.callEvent(RegisteredListener.java:60)
            at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.callEvent(SimplePluginManager.java:213)
            at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.a(NetServerHandler.java:441)
            at net.minecraft.server.Packet15Place.a(SourceFile:57)
            at net.minecraft.server.NetworkManager.a(SourceFile:232)
            at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.a(NetServerHandler.java:71)
            at net.minecraft.server.NetworkListenThread.a(SourceFile:104)
            at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.h(MinecraftServer.java:283)
            at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:209)
            at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:512)
    When i use /cast heal:

Code:
    2011-02-03 23:39:52 [INFO] Throk666 tried command: cast heal

and nothing happen. I didn't has any error when server was starting.

Wand version: 0.59
    Spell version: 0.78

All perminions and everything (in config files) are fine. Before last bukkit update everything works.

30. Offline

NathanWolf

Thank you very much for this info- unfortunately, I'm stumped now. I'll have to check things out on 238 when I get a chance and see what's going on.

I'll report back here when I've got something - sorry!
    --- merged: Feb 4, 2011 12:26 AM ---
    Ok, I tried 238 and it wouldn't actually run for me at all. The "java" program said it was an invalid jar.

I downloaded 237- here's a direct link, and it seemed to work fine with the current Wand and Spells. I deleted all of my properties file and my spells-classes.txt file, just to be sure it worked with the default config, and I was able to cast spells without console errors. I type "/cast heal" and it says "You heal yourself", the wand works, etc.

Please try 237, though it sounds like you got farther with 238 then I did. Otherwise, I'm not sure what to tell you- it's working for me!