Curse Author Rewards, earn rewards for developing cool plugins!

Discussion in 'Community News and Announcements' started by EvilSeph, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

EvilSeph

Since August of 2011 Curse has been integral with helping our project and community out with hosting and resources. We chose Curse to help us in providing a much needed service, BukkitDev, primarily because they have a proven track-record with their success in hosting WoW add-ons. It is thanks to them that we can offer a complete project management suite for all manner of plugins, mods, worlds, and texture packs, entirely for free.

Along with providing free hosting for the WoW add-on community, Curse has developed a cool "rewards" program that provides developers of popular plugins with the opportunity of earning rewards for their hard work with some add-ons being popular enough for the developers to earn a living off of them. To date, Curse has given back more than 1 million dollars of ad revenue and Curse Premium income to WoW authors. Luckily for the Minecraft community, Curse's commitment to the BukkitDev service means that they've been working towards expanding their Curse Rewards program to support the Minecraft community too, along with all the other games they've been supporting.

Signing up for the Curse Rewards program is quick and easy! Just follow these steps:
    • Sign in on BukkitDev.
    • Click on your username in the upper-right corner.
    • Click the link “Sign up now” under “Rewards points”
      • If you don’t see this link, you’re already signed up!
    • Check the option to “Enter the rewards program”.
    • Click “Update”.
    • Done!
    To make way for the Curse Rewards program, we'll be shifting downloads from BukkitDev over to curse.com. This change is necessary to make the Curse Rewards program and its tracking manageable and consistent to ensure we are able to reward everyone that deserves it, as well as make it easier to protect and detect against statistic padding. Curse.com is also the more user-orientated part of the BukkitDev service geared towards the needs of server admins, providing favourites and ratings for each project.

Once you've signed up for the Curse Rewards program, your project begins accumulating reward points after it has had at least 1,000 downloads. As an extra bonus, you're rewarded with a free month of Curse Premium for every 1,000 downloads too. Once you’ve accumulated enough points, there are various rewards you can redeem them for from the BukkitDev Store. See this Curse.com article and the Curse Rewards Program FAQ for more information.

With this change to how BukkitDev operates, we'll be in the awesome position to reward developers for all their hard work creating and supporting their popular projects. We're really excited for what the future has in store with the addition of Curse Rewards support for BukkitDev and think you'll be happy with what results from these changes.

Skyost, TheDom102, juampi_92 and 33 others like this.
  2. Offline

YoFuzzy3

Doesn't seem like it, since I've been receiving 3 points a day since the points came out and I had a few thousand downloads before then.

3. Offline

lDucks

Same, I've been getting about 1.8 points a day since it started.

4. Offline

prencher Curse

He signed up before today's generation and started earning points.

You've been earning points since Feb 1st, and as of today, you're getting points for CraftBook.

Older points are not created equal. They devalue they older they get, and as such, a few thousand downloads recently is more valuable than 80.000 six months ago.

ZachBora and TnT like this.
  5. Offline

codename_B

This is pretty smexy.

MrBluebear3 likes this.
  6. Offline

Nickshelton80

I think this is a really cool thing, Nice to have high goals.

7. Offline

pkt

Do Developers that took over a plugin get points from that plugin, or does the former author still get all the points. That would just be unfair...

8. Offline

drtshock

The manager can split up the reward points however he sees fit.

9. Offline

pkt

I know, but if he is a former author (no longer the owner/manager), the points should be given to the new author, or at least split up automatically

10. Offline

TnT

The reward split is up to the manager of the plugin to dish out as they see fit. This ability has existed for about a year and a half now.

11. Offline

bob7

Very cool, i bet this will get people to update their plugins more frequently. Quick question, how is curse making money here? I know they have advertisements, but this is easy money for developers..

12. Offline

gomeow

Who gets rewards points? Only the manager? All authors? Contributors?

Edit: Nevermind, I just looked at the posts above me...

13. Offline

pkt

But your not getting my point though... The person that is no longer the developer is getting all the points, and the person doing all the work is getting nothing. I just think its quite unfair and was just suggesting it to automatically change.

14. Offline

ZachBora

If the plugin manager isn't doing his job it should change manager. I got rid of one of my plugins months ago and I changed the manager. If you aren't able to reach the old manager, maybe you can report the plugin and get the manager changed.

15. Offline

TnT

I completely understand your point, but I would feel a great many plugin managers would feel it unfair to have it automatically managed. You must talk to them about splitting the points, and deal with them about ensuring its split fairly.

16. Offline

Lolmewn

Seems to be working great, awesome!

17. Offline

jacklin213

we already started getting premium ages ago :D , but like how the reward system works now , thanks a lot bukkit / curse <3

18. Offline

Tamewolf

Love the addition. I might only be getting 0.48-ish a day (And my plugin doesn't even have a thousand downloads), but the idea that Bukkit and Curse want to encourage development is certainly shown through rewarding us. Especially considering that's entirely their own prerogative to do so. I am not going to bicker about free rewards, no matter the amount. Thanks a lot guys!

gomeow and drtshock like this.
  19. Really? LOL good to know, because i signed on 2012 nov :D

20. Offline

xGhOsTkiLLeRx

That's a cool surprise.
    Just back from my exchange and I can redeem 10$, nice! :)

21. Offline

gomeow

5 points! 195 to go!

/me hopes his next plugin will be popular

I think the rewards points idea is really cool, great addition to BukkitDev

22. Offline

bob7

Cool stuff

23. Offline

superpeanut911

8 points so far like a boss...
    1992 more to go till that $100 paypal! <3 lol

24. Offline

Kainzo

25. Offline

LaxWasHere

1 point :|

mbaxter likes this.
  26. I just redeemed a 10 USD voucher, however it was sent to an older email address I no longer have access too. What do I do? :/

27. Offline

lol768

Perhaps contact Curse?

(Please note this is in no way an official response, simply a suggestion that could help with this scenario).

lmc likes this.
  28. Thanks for the advice, i'll look for a contact email address.

29. Offline

Lolmewn

Awesome, am on 60 points already!

30. 42 :0

31. Offline

LaxWasHere

You guys are rich! Gimme points

//Edit
    Somebody who shall not be named due to the fact that he or she is in protective custody of the United States goverment gave me one point. Whoever he or she maybe, thank you very much and have a wonderful life. May the mobs not find you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.