Solved Creating a text input

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by Tim_M, Sep 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Tim_M

So, my problem is pretty easy. I need the player to enter a string, (a password system) and check if it macthes. I know that I could have the player write it in chat, but entering it in a GUI would be way cooler to be honest. I tried with anvils, with no success. Now Im trying with signs. Im successfully able to send packets of PlayOutOpenSignEditor, which brings up a menu that the player can type in. Howeveer, when trying to make it impossible to write on certain lines, I noticed that it wasnt firing SignChangeEvent (the eventclass is registered, all other events in it work, also yes i have a @EventHandler in from of the void). It seems like sending packets wont be solution. Does anyone know how to get a string input from a player using anvils on signs? (Also I dont want to use protocolLib thank you.)

Thanks for any answers :p

2. Offline

gochi9

See if this helps: link

3. Offline

Tim_M

Thanks, but as I said that I would like to avoid protocolLib

4. Offline

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

Why though? Make everything a lot easier, no need to update for every minecraft version.

5. Offline

Kars

Why not just have them place it on a sign and then catch the input from the event? and cancel the placement of the sign..

6. Offline

Tim_M

That's a good idea, but how would I bring the sign edit screen up?

Edit: oops I misread, is there any way to automatically open a sign GUI of an existing sign?

7. Offline

KarimAKL

@Tim_M
    1. SignChangeEvent is called when you click "done" in a sign GUI.
    2. I don't believe Bukkit events are called when you send a packet.
    3. If you don't want to place a sign in the world, you'll have to use packets.
    4. ProtocolLib makes sending and listening for the packets much easier, especially the listening part.

8. Offline

Tim_M

So basically, I HAVE to use protocolLib...

9. Offline

KarimAKL

@Tim_M You don't HAVE to, but there's really no reason not to.

10. Offline

gochi9

@Tim_M
    Well you would have much more work to do if you didn't so it's the worst idea.Also you this is the example to the post i gave you earlier link. Looking through it i think it should work just fine but you shouldn't just copy and paste and actually try to learn from it

11. Offline

Tim_M

Ok, I guess it's time learn how to use protocolLib

Marking solved...

Edit: Actually it's not solved. The link you gave seems to have outtaded code, as it gives errors about incorrect arguments.

Edit 2:nvm I'll open a new thread about a new issue

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.