Creating a Square Area

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by Irantwomiles, Nov 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Irantwomiles

I'm trying to work on a land claiming area. I was going to use two locations that I pick and then create the area that way but I don't really know how to do that. Any hints or nudges in the right direction would be appreciated.

EDIT: I don't need a cube, the Y direction is not relevant in this case.

2. Offline

Lordloss

Apart from the fact that tons of claiming plugins allready exist, i would simply store important information about the region in a config file. I.E. region-id, owner, location1, location2.

3. Offline

Irantwomiles

Its not just a claiming plugin. What exactly do I do with the two locations. How do I loop through the blocks from those 2 locations to create a square?

4. Offline

Lordloss

Now i got it. You need to put two for-loops together. In one, you begin with the lower x coordinate (from the 2 locations) and loop until it reaches the higher x coordinate. And the same with the z-coordinate.
    PHP:
    for (lowerXhigherXx++)
        for (
    lowerZhigherZz++)

5. Offline

DarkenCake

maybe you should use Vectors...?

6. Offline

Irantwomiles

Thats my main problem. How do I figure out which one is my lowest and highest? Players are going to be doing this on the fly so it's going to be a problem.

EDIT: So this is what I want to do. Very much like factions claiming (except no chunks). I want to check if people are in a certain "claim" or region so I can do different things. I hope that made things easier to understand.

7. Offline

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

8. Offline

Irantwomiles

where do I get that from?

9. Offline

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

@Irantwomiles You have 2 locations right? Get the smallest x and z, get the biggest x and z from those locations.
    (if it wasn't y, always forget)
    Then you have 2 cornerpoints to loop through.

Irantwomiles likes this.
  10. Offline

Zombie_Striker

11. Offline

mythbusterma

Irantwomiles likes this.
  12. Offline

Irantwomiles

k. I'll give it a try

EDIT: So will it look something like this.

Code:

for(int x = 0; x< Math.max(loc1.x, loc2,x); x++) {
    for(int z = 0; z < Math.min(loc1.z, loc2.z); z++ {

}
    }

13. Offline

mythbusterma

@Irantwomiles

That would work, yes. Assuming you were starting from zero, and you were going to the lowest values.

Although I would think you mean to go from the minimum to the maximum, not zero to minimum.

Irantwomiles likes this.
  14. Offline

Irantwomiles

oh, yes you're right. I have another question though, how would I check if a certain person is within this square?

15. Offline

mythbusterma

@Irantwomiles

Vectors have a method called "isInAABB" which will check that (just make sure they're at y =0 and y = 255 if you don't want to consider Y).

Irantwomiles likes this.
  16. Offline

Irantwomiles

Ok thanks. I'll look into it tomorrow morning!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.