CraftBukkit 1.3.2-R2.0 is now available!

Discussion in 'Bukkit News' started by EvilSeph, Oct 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

EvilSeph

A new CraftBukkit Recommended Build (1.3.2-R2.0) that provides Minecraft 1.3.2 compatibility is now available. This build contains an important fix for servers using RCon, entities being invisible when teleporting under certain circumstances and a tab completion API. If any of these changes interest you or affect you, you should definitely upgrade. While we aren't going to "highly recommend" updating, it is usually always a good idea to run the latest Recommended Build we release.

Will plugins break with this build?
    Provided the developers of the plugins you are using are keeping up with the development of Bukkit, all your plugins should work fine.

Notes:
    The release of Minecraft 1.3 introduced built in auto-save functionality that is completely new to Minecraft: prior to this release, server admins had to provide their own means to save things on their server at a set interval. As a result, the vast majority of servers already have an auto-saving mechanism of some sort, rendering the newly provided built in auto-save largely redundant. On top of this, it was also immediately noticeable that the built in auto-save was the cause of a significant performance hit to the server, even going so far as to lock up the server each time it ran.

Bearing this in mind, we decided the best course of action was to make the auto-save interval configurable and default to being disabled. By doing so we immediately saw a noticeable performance increase on servers and noticed overwhelmingly positive feedback on our Beta builds. While some might argue that this could leave servers without frequent saving, this change simply reverts behaviour back to what server admins are familiar with from Minecraft 1.2.5.

As mentioned before, we have made the auto-save interval configurable and disableable within the bukkit.yml. Simply set "ticks-per.autosave" to the number of ticks you want between each save or set it to 0 to disable it completely and use a script or plugin to manage it instead.

Known Issues:
    • None.
    For more detailed information on what is contained in this update, please see the changelog here.

Download CraftBukkit 1.3.2-R2.0 here

RaphaniacZX, chakyl, kahlilnc and 5 others like this.
  2. Offline

mbaxter ʇıʞʞnq ɐ sɐɥ ı

minecraft.net's servers have been down.

Grikkle likes this.
  3. Offline

siyman4

Great job. You guys have been working hard to push out these updates, and I really appreciate it.

4. Offline

@Ja$on@

great! i use this on my server, and it works Well. I Only say you to correct the 'invisibility' when i make a tp.

5. Offline

emorodney

What does this mean exactly? Are you saying that new bukkit releases are not expected to be backward compatible with older ones? So if plugin X works on 1.3.2-R1.0 then I might have to update plugin X before / when I upgrade to 1.3.2-R2.0? And if this is the case, is the new version of X then expected to work with 1.3.2-R1.0.

In other words, If I were to develop a plugin against the current release build, then it might not work with the next release? So I should use an up to date development build instead? But surely if I do that then I run the risk of relying on new API that isn't released yet

Actually it's easy for me because I only do plugins for our server, so I only have to consider the version that we are currently running. But for people who are publishing plugins, the API stability policy (if there is one) seems at little unclear. (and I do plan to publish some of my stuff at some point when I get around to it).

In practice however the only plugins that I've seen break is when there's been a major release and the plugin was bypassing the Bukkit API somewhere along the line.

Some kind of clear policy on backwards / forwards compatibility would be a good addition to this excellent project.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.