CPU drops to 0%, server unresponsive

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Stephen304, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Stephen304

Sometimes for 5 minutes straight or as short as 2 seconds my computer CPU usage in task manager will drop to 0% and the server will become unresponsive. If it lasts long enough (20+ seconds) people will be kicked from the server, but the console will only show that they have disconnected (EndOfStream) when the cpu returns to normal usage. This is causing a lot of issues (and rage).

Plugins:
    No errors shown besides people disconnecting (EndOfStream)

I am running 1.0.1-R1 with 1GB ram, the system has 3GB of ram installed and uses 922MB when the server is not running.

2. Offline

Killburner

1. Check the console for errors or warnings prior to / during / after the symptoms
    2. Post your startup script so we can see your java startup parameters
    3. Allocate more memory if you can (1GB isn't a lot with those plugins, MySQL, etc)
    4. Try running without unnecessary plugins for awhile (Dynmap, PTweaks aren't critical
    5. Make sure your running the latest Spout RB.

3. Offline

Stephen304

There are no errors.

Startup Script:
    It does this even when it is using 400MB of ram, nowhere near the limit set at 1GB, but I will try 2GB anyways.

I paused dynmap renders and there was no difference, though I will try removing DynMap and PTweaks to test anyways.

I'll try re-installing spout from the latest download, though I just installed spout a couple days ago so I'm fairly certain that it's the latest.
    ---------------------------------
    So I removed PTweaks and DynMap and it seems to be working fine. I'll report back after some time. I suspect that it may have been PTweaks. I have not changed the RAM limits.
    The issue is still present with those plugins removed.
    I removed all plugins except HawkEye and increase the ram max to 1.5 GB (it wouldn't let me set 2GB) I will report back after more testing.
    After more testing, the problem still persists. I have removed every plugin EXCEPT HawkEye and the ram limit is set to 1.5 GB and it still had moments when cpu would drop to 0% and everyone would be kicked from the server. I am going to remove HawkEye and test again. (This time it will be normal bukkit 1.0.1-R1, no plugins, 1.5GB ram limit) I will report back soon.
    It seems to be a Bukkit issue. I tested with no plugins. It won't even let me on in the first place. As soon as it starts up, cpu goes down to 0% and I can't join.

I did some more searching and came across this post:
    http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/why-does-my-cpu-drop-to-0-randomly.32373/#post-601354

I really don't want to reduce ram allocation to below 1GB. Does anyone know anything about using "more aggressive garbage collection"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.