Connecting Different MC Versions to server

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by nateracecar5, Aug 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

nateracecar5

I'm not sure if this is where I put this, but it is the best place I could think of. I've noticed multiple servers have the ability to connect 1.7.2 clients to their 1.7.10 server. I'm wondering how I would enable this on my server, or if I need a specific plugin to do so. Any help would be wonderful, and if you're a moderator, feel free to move this thread to the correct place.

2. Offline

LHammonds

Nope, not possible with Craftbukkit.

3. Offline

nateracecar5

I thought it wasn't, I was just wondering how it was done. I don't want people to have to upgrade to play on my server. This is the reason why:
    I was wanting InventoryTweaks Mod, but I needed 1.7.2. One of my favorite mods, I can't use because of my server version. I was just wondering how it would be done.

4. Offline

ZanderMan9

nateracecar5 It's done by some complex protocol & packet manipulation. Having different versions connect can cause errors if a pad packet is accidentally sent to a client that can't handle it. These aren't 100% bomb-proof, but servers like mineplex and such do have decent systems. I don't know of a way you can get this without coding it yourself.

5. Offline

nateracecar5

ZanderMan9 Thank you! This explains a lot. I have NO idea how to do this, and probably won't even bother with it. Thank you for the information.

6. Offline

ZanderMan9

nateracecar5 No problem! Glad to help :)
    Also, oops! Not "pad packet", BAD packet.

7. Offline

nateracecar5

Didn't notice :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.