Question Can I run a server on this Pc?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Jaggent, May 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Jaggent

Hi. I'm not a noob. Had experience with this shit before.
    I can't seem to find a answer tho lol.
    So I have a pentium 4(not sure, most likely p4), 512mb of ram and windows XP.
    How many plugins I can get and how many players I can host?
    I can change to Linux, I can upgrade the ram to 1gb (ot even more...)
    Which Linux should I pick? (if needed)
    The server is planned to be a little open server for my friends and friends of theirs. Maybe from 5-8 ppl, rarely 10.
    The server will be on all the day. On the night the pc will cool down. Work time = 9.30 - 21.30 (12h)
    The fans are pretty sweet. Kept the pc cool in half life max setting with a voodoo gpu tho. But the gpu doesn't have a role here... What should I do?

2. Offline

nverdier

@Jaggent 512 mb should be fine for that many players.

3. Offline

Jaggent

I just shocked the properties again... Pentium 4 3ghz and a 1gb ram. How many players can I hold with some 10plugins on 1.7.10? (Got it off a mirror)
    Do I need to go to Linux? (it's a fresh XP tho)
    Can I hold 20 ppl (rarely) on 1gb? @nverdier

4. Offline

oceantheskatr

You do not need to go to Linux, Windows/Mac OS X runs a personal server just fine. How many plugins a server can run is based on how intense the plugins are. You could run 30 simple plugins or 3 super heavy plugins depending on how intensive they are. With 1GB of RAM you are usually limited to only a handful of plugins though, as most plugins will use a bit of RAM. Each player IIRC needs about 100MB of RAM, so with 10 plugins you're probably looking at about 5 players on with little to no lag. You really have to test it out and see for yourself what works. The numbers will drop even further if you're using that computer whilst running the server, as other programs will take up RAM and processing power too.

I would like to suggest that maybe you and your friends pool a bit of money each to pay for a dedicated server, as there are lots of companies that have servers for as little as $2/GB (however those are most likely going to be a little bit less powerful). I'd like to recommend ProfessionalXen, which is a host I've been with for almost 2 years and have never had any problems (Price $4/GB). I'd recommend around 3GB, so $12 split across however many friends. Plus then you can easily have 20 people on, and quite a few plugins. I run a server that has almost 60 plugins (most are relatively intense) and used to average around 15-20 with little to no lag. You should take a look at this video I made on why people should choose ProfessionalXen:

That is just another option that you may want to consider. I'm sure that @nverdier has a host that he'd recommend too :)

5. Offline

Jaggent

Server is set up and running. All fine. No låg - small låg. After some 6h it says Can't keep up! But that's rare. I'm playing 6ppl with these plugins: vault, worldedit, signshop2 signshopgurdian, signshophotel, essentials, world guard, massive core, creative gates, essentials(further I'll call it Ess)antiquity, EssChat, Essprotect, essspawn. What can you suggest? @oceantheskatr
    PS
    I will not get a host for this shit.
    I like to do it myself

6. Offline

oceantheskatr

If you got a host you'd still manage it yourself, however it'd just be on a more powerful machine for a low-ish price ;) Are you asking me for suggestions plugin-wise or to help your server run a bit better?

7. Offline

nverdier

I recommend NodeCraft.

oceantheskatr likes this.
  8. Offline

mine-care

Yes indeed, a hosting company service can be a ton better, mine charges me 1.99$ monthly (20% off if payed once /3months) and thwy offer a REALY good service, never had lag ect..
    Th thing with public home hosting other than the hazards, is the cost.. I calculated the cost with a similar pc i had and it turns to ~10$ monthly for the same thing with the hosting plan :3 also consoder network speed (they offer 1Gbit in most of their plans) and the cases of power loss, non static IP and as mentioned above the chance of malicius activity, intense game servers tend to feel the rage of their players by a DDOS attack that can have minimal or verry serius consequences.
    :D hopefully i helped

oceantheskatr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.