Calling any upper-class devs!

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by Jayjay110, Jun 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Jayjay110

Well, I guess this sounds childish, but is there any way to become an apprentice to you? Some of you devs create magical things like craftbook, dynmap, logblock, itemcraft etc. If we wanna learn these things do we have to dedicate our lives to java? What exactly is it you guys do to learn so deep? And if its like, goto school, fml my school is shit, they think that a y12 vce course should judge how good you are with vb 6! They make me teach the other kids how to do it! AND IM IN YEAR 11!!! So anyway I just wanted to know how you get soo good :)

Regards, xXN1pplefaceXx

2. Offline

DreadKyller

most the expert people on this site look up tutorials on the web, or find java out for themselves. Most of the great ideas here came from, well, an idea, not necessarily skill. After the idea they took a long time figuring out how to do it, maybe some asking for lots of help. But they finally get it, then they just work on improving it until it get to the stage you are referring to. Just practice and keep seeking help and you'll get up to that level as well.

3. Offline

Jayjay110

Ok then, if its just a long time and an idea, how did sk89q and his buddies fullwall and tug something release a map mod in less than a week ? Minecraft 1.6 has been out for a wekk for what i know?

4. Offline

Mukrakiish

Well one of the things I did when I was learning code was finding source code. I could never have learnt more then finding source code and studying it, messing around with it, checking help menus for commands and the like that I didn't understand, and then finally building on its foundations myself.

They're just that experienced that they know how to manipulate the code very quickly. Its all in experience.

Jayjay110 likes this.
  5. Offline

Shamebot

Simply because they are good coders and figuring out how the minecraft code works isn't that hard, it took me a few hours and they are experienced so they probably were faster.
    It's all about experience, learning by doing, challenging yourself.

Jayjay110 likes this.
  6. Offline

mxE333xm

Well, you can forget school in case of programming if you aren't on a special IT school. But I'm one of the people that think it's good as it is, because teatching IT isn't the job of the school. (But that in grade 9 neither the basic basic basic usage of exel not powerpoint is known (by teachers & 90% of the pupils) is extremely ashaming.).

Anyway Shamebot said it: Learning by doing. Thats the one and only way to learn programming, and after a certain amount of time the toggle toggles (I don't know if this is really english :D), and it is easy for you ;)
    Also you do very much easier while coding if you internalize the 'divide and conquer' principle ;)

Jayjay110 likes this.
  7. Offline

Jayjay110

uhhhggg, alright, looks like im gonna have to spend hours failing at java before I can get good :( :p

8. Offline

Pandarr

If it makes you feel better, your YAML write up helped me immensely.

A few things I would do for sure.

Peek at other people's code. Find bugs in it. There probably are bugs in it. Look at all these plugin threads and when somebody reports an issue, investigate it on your own accord. If you find the fix, let the developer know. A pull request on github is pretty easy to do.

Offer to do a mundane task for a developer. Something you feel comfortable with but isn't pressing. I took on the task of localizing mcMMO for the developer. It was boring as heck but I learned a fair amount while doing it.

Hang out in #bukkitdev on espernet. Just finding out what other people are struggling with, try to help if you can, research stuff for people... you'll learn stuff along the way.

At some point that really hard code you wrote will seem tedious to write... figure out a better way to do it. There just might be.

Almost always retype code instead of copy/pasting.

If you're only failing for hours... you're doing it wrong... you'll probably fail for a lot longer than that to get good.

Jayjay110 likes this.
  9. Offline

Jayjay110

Thanks for the comment :p
    I kinda get the idea now, even tho it seems uber boring lol :p
    Btw, I reallly dont like the truth in the last line :p

10. Offline

masteroftime

You are not able to learn programming at once. When you learn the language you don't know how to program. You just have to try again and again and do something. Then you will get better and better. When I started learning programming I first created a crappy Tetris game, then i moved on creating a 2D chess game and one day I ended up with a quite decent 3D chess game with network multiplayer support.

So start with a little think and don't be dissapointed if you can't program the hardest thing at start. You just need some practice. And don't be scared! If you like coding it will still be fun!

11. Offline

cppchriscpp

If it sounds boring to you, either you're not going about it right, or programming just isn't for you. It's all about creating stuff and making it work. You get to see the results of what you do instantly. (In the general case, anyway.) A bukkit plugin isn't actually that bad of a place to start, though you'll probably want to learn the absolute basics of java first. Online tutorials help a lot; try to find something that interests you to work with, however. If you find it truly boring trying to get your idea working consistently, programming probably is not for you.

12. You're hired :p
    You can message me if you need any help and I'll do my best.

13. Offline

DreadKyller

I get about 8 messages in my inbox a day because I help quite a few people through pm, I could probably help as well, but you will never learn the scripting as well as you will learning it yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.