Cache Vs Clock Speed [Solved]

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by nhoclesnar, Nov 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

nhoclesnar

What affects TPS more on a bukkit server, processor cache or its clock speed? For example, which one of these two would perform better for running a bukkit server?

A 3.5 Ghz clock speed with 20M cache, or a 3.8 Ghz clock speed with 10M cache. Link.

2. Offline

LaxWasHere

Go with the 3.5Ghz one.

3. Offline

Clinton

The E5-1620 would be better for a minecraft server.

4. Offline

nhoclesnar

Can you explain why which processor is better? Two persons suggested two different things, and I don't know who to listen to. Anyway, thanks for replying.

5. Offline

Orcworm

Higher clock speed is more important than additional cores for Minecraft, so the latter's better.

6. Offline

nhoclesnar

I know that bukkit only makes use of one core, but I'm talking about cache here. How important is cache for a bukkit server?

7. Offline

Orcworm

Fairly sure the cache is split between each core, hence double cache with double the amount of physical cores. In any case it wouldn't be important enough to negate the .3GHz clock speed difference.

8. Offline

Clinton

Because it would offer faster single threaded performance. Where as the E5's are built as workhorses and are optimal for VPS hosting.

You can probably listen to my three years experience hosting high performance servers, but you don't have to. ;)

9. Offline

nhoclesnar

I just want to know the reason behind your statement. Knowledge and logic don't hurt, do they? Thanks for the advice.
    You are right, thank you.

10. Offline

Milkywayz

I'd be down to hear what you have to say about a Intel i7 3770 running a server, but I shouldn't veer off topic here :p

11. Offline

Clinton

You can send me a PM if you want or contact me on Skype/AIM/MSN.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.