Bukkit and online-mode=false

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by hawkfalcon, Oct 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

hawkfalcon

Hello everyone!
    I would like to remind you that Bukkit does not support offline/cracked servers. If you post about problems with your offline server in the help forum, your post will be locked and you will be told to buy the game.
    As TnT said:
    To avoid this, please do not ask for support with online-mode=false.
    Buy the game and tell your friends to do so as well.
    Thank you!

2. Offline

chakyl

Bukkit should automatically detect if the server is in offline mode, and make it online.

3. Offline

Omnitv

The staff has discussed this before.
    This option is great for plugin development ect. Cant remember the thread about it but it was there in bukkit discussion some where in that pile.

np98765 and hawkfalcon like this.
  4. Offline

jorisk322

Some people like to be able to open their server WITHOUT having to trust on Minecraft.net, so they set it to offline when the Minecraft login servers are down.

SniperCraft likes this.
  5. Offline

chakyl

That's pretty much the only reason for me to set it, (I also occasionally use it for testing out plugins that require multiple members.), but I make sure that I don't allow anyone on but staff in that period of time.

Everything has its pros and cons.

6. Offline

jorisk322

I totally agree, and it's useful, which is probably why Bukkit hasn't blocked offline-mode. That was the point I was trying to make.

7. Offline

Lolmewn

Naw, they didn't block it because Mojang put it in, not them.

8. Offline

jorisk322

Well, there are some other things Mojang put in, which they removed. Altough these are mostly bugs :p

9. Offline

astroskillz

People that can't afford the 25$ for such a great game are just pathetic. Everybody has a Paypal or credit card now-a-days. I you support piracy, you might want to find a piracy forum.

Offline mode is only useful for plugin testing/development. I only use it on a private localhost server, to test out my server and changes that I want to apply.

10. Offline

hawkfalcon

The purpose of this thread was to stop people from posting about Offline mode. See how well that worked out?:p

jorisk322 likes this.
  11. Offline

Gunnerrrrr

This should be stickied.

Max_The_Link_Fan and chakyl like this.
  12. Offline

Mr. Minecraft

I always set mine to offline mode because when the login servers are down, everyone can still connect to min. Just last week this was the case. It is quite obvious when someone has not bought the game because their name is Player and I just auto ban them :p

13. Offline

JOPHESTUS

Or they have a client that allows them to choose a name. Sir, I am deeply sorry to inform you that your system is flawed.

hawkfalcon likes this.
  14. Offline

Mr. Minecraft

xD as long as people are having fun I don't care. Im not as anal as most administrators. Whats the worst they can do? PLAY?

zombierevolver likes this.
  15. Offline

mbaxter ʇıʞʞnq ɐ sɐɥ ı

WarmakerT, Cirno, Dystopia and 5 others like this.
  16. Offline

Gunnerrrrr

Unless you get an auth plugin, but still very unsecure.

17. Offline

Mr. Minecraft

Thats what backups are for.

zombierevolver likes this.
  18. Offline

mbaxter ʇıʞʞnq ɐ sɐɥ ı

Last I checked I've seen exploits for all of them, when in offline mode.

hawkfalcon likes this.
  19. Offline

Gunnerrrrr

That's why I said still very unsecure :p

hawkfalcon likes this.
  20. Offline

lokpique

If your server is available on the internet, then you are promoting piracy by using this setting, regardless of how anal you may feel.

This is a setting which is intended to use on a private server with no internet access. I use it when I travel, for instance... it lets me play without having to find a hotel with internet.

21. Offline

Necrodoom

if you cant be bothered to buy something, why do you complain you cant use it?

chakyl likes this.
  22. Offline

Mr. Minecraft

These are all opinions and I will do it my way. I'm done with this thread.

23. Offline

hawkfalcon

Good, as you are being completely irrelevant to the thread.

chakyl, JOPHESTUS and Gunnerrrrr like this.
  24. Offline

Proctor

Offline Mode is a nice thing, when you want to develop plugins
    ( Using cracked client, for multible connects )
    But not for general playing.
    So: I am for the existenz of offline mode,
    but not for the support.

25. Offline

Toxic__Waste

the problem i see of bukkit not giving support to offline mode is that minecraft allows offline mode just because bukkit dont like it
    it should not stop support...it should be discouraged
    but if minecraft allows it bukkit should as well
    and all it does is allow offline servers to get attacked who really cares about that if your in offline mode and you get hacked
    we should be able to laff at you and say told you so
    but support for bukkit is just that SUPPORT

EDIT: I dont use offline mode even if minecraft is down

26. Offline

TnT

Bukkit allows online-mode=false because its in the server.properties from Mojang. We refuse to support it though.

Why do we care? We care because we get many PM's about "Force OP" and many help threads about how a person's server got screwed over because they were in offline mode. We also get requests for us to "Fix" the insecurity issues without the server administrator using online-mode=true.

It is the worst kind of support nightmare a person can deal with. There is a fix for it, it is called "online-mode=true" yet people refuse to use that to fix their issues.

Besides, there is no reason for us to support it. Every issue with online-mode=false can be fixed by changing that setting to true. What is there to support?

Anyone who wishes can use online-mode=false. No support will be given for it in anyway because it is an unnecessary waste of time for everyone involved, including the stubborn server administrator who refuses to toggle that setting.

ImminentFate, np98765 and hawkfalcon like this.
  27. Offline

Toxic__Waste

i see more (of the we dont support) and lock the thread now it is the admins of this site that make the rules but it just does seem rude of any one just to shut down a thread and say we dont support offline there should be a sticky thread that you can put in the help topic linking them explaining the rule on that and then shut down the thread.ive read over the rules and please link you to the rule that says we dont support offline please

28. Offline

hawkfalcon

Did you completely ignore TnT 's post? It answers all of your questions.

29. Offline

TnT

30. Offline

RiotShielder

I wish there was a way to use another account name without offline mode, I just need to test permissions as a lower user at times, which requires me to /deop then change my rank on my website, then login to McMyAdmin to sync my ranks, then test, then go back to McMyAdmin, OP myself, go back to my website, set my owner rank, then go back to McMyAdmin and sync ranks again, quite a lot of stuff to do just to check if players can use a command or 2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.