Bitcoin Miner for Idle Servers

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by LuckyMonkey, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Offline

LuckyMonkey

Name says it all, If you don't know what bitcoins are..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um63OQz3bjo

So when no players are on the server, it starts mining. When someone joins it stops.

Help starter servers (thus the emptyness) get some money.

2. Offline

Nazerb

SAY NO to bitcoins

3. Offline

dak393

interesting idea but bitcoin mining has mainly switched to gpu mining and so if his were to be made as a cpu miner the profits would be minuscule

4. Offline

AgentME

Just run the bitcoin miner at the lowest cpu priority you can set. On Linux, starting bitcoin as "nice -n 19 bitcoind -gen" will do the trick.

5. Offline

Tesseracto

This would be awzum.

6. Offline

LuckyMonkey

I'm requesting it one way or another.

I have yet to find a way to do it through batch files while java is running and I know nothing of bukkit API and very little java.

Keep this bumped Ill post a bounty if needed.

7. Offline

WinSock

this should be easy, just check when online players are less than a certain value and run the bit coin miner.
    Code:
    if(Bukkit.getServer().getOnlinePlayers().size() < 2) {
        // Run bitcoin miner
    }

8. Offline

LuckyMonkey

so do I just put that code in a .class file, put that in a .jar, put that in plugins and have the miner somewhere else?
    Id assume there is more to it. Mind helping?

Sorry I know batch and python, but thats the end of my programming ablities that could help here.

normally i'm just a web developer :/

Also

Care to explain why?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2016
  9. Offline

Nazerb

Its not a secure currency. Its just some random guy making a currency to make some money. Ill pay you in NazCoin if you want? Will that be ok?

10. Offline

LuckyMonkey

notice that they are now selling for ~$30 when 2 weeks ago they were ~$6?

it seems like a fad, I still think it is, but might as well be safe than sorry. there is no losing here.

11. Offline

Paah

How is the currency not secure? It's mirrored everywhere with p2p. Also there is no unlimited amount of bitcoins. It will get harder and harder to "mine" them, and eventually the cap will be hit and no more coins can be mined. That will also prevent inflation.

Of course their current value will drop to something reasonable after the boom goes over. It's just like tulip bulbs some centuries ago in holland. You could get a house with 3 bulbs. Now they cost 0,3€ each.