Best Permissions Plugin for Bukkit

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by LRFLEW, Dec 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

LRFLEW

Ok, I realize there has to be dozens of threads like this, but I am going to be specific on what I expect in this thread.

A server I'm working with is using Permissions 3.x, and a new plugin we're trying to use doesn't support it. I am convincing the server admins to make the switch to a plugin that supports SuperPerms, but I have no clue yet what to recommend. I am currently looking at (and only aware of) the following:

PermissionsBukkit
    bPermissions
    PermissionsEx (haven't really heard anything good about this one yet, but I'm still throwing it out there)
    and, because I heard it has SuperPerms, Group Manager

I could just ask, "which is better?" but that is not going to win me over or make a compelling enough argument to completely sway the admins, so instead I'll ask this: Why should I use <plugin>? If I forgot one in the list above, feel free to say it anyways. Do NOT just say "it's the easiest." Tell my HOW it's easier than the others. Do feel free to make a case for all of the options.

- Thank you in advance

2. Offline

JohnTheRipper

PermissionsBukkit.

P3 was the best system in my opinion, but PB is a passable replacement. It's also official and supported by most devs.

3. Anything with SuperPerms...I prefer bPermissions

4. Offline

LRFLEW

no offense @battlekid and @tips48 , but so far, there has been no direct responses to the question this post was about. I said I didn't just want "PB is passable" or "I prefer bPermissions", but I wanted explanations on WHY you say that about them.

5. Offline

Snipes01

So it sort of depends on what you out of it. If you want something that has a similar config to Permissions 3 and don't want to learn a new config then PermissionsEX is the one you want. If you want to just use the permissions system that Bukkit has adopted as the main plugin then use PermissionsBukkit. bPermissions is a new system that has features like suggesting commands when you get them wrong. Really when it comes down to it at one point I'm sure all Bukkit servers will run on build in permissions system that is what PermissionsBukkit is supposed to be.

Honestly the best is the one the most supported by plugins and the one that has all the features you want. To the plugin is PEX, because it works like Permissions 3 and there is nothing new to learn.

In the end I think Bukkit should decide which plugin to adopt as the official plugin.

Again if you want the official then use PermissionsBukkit, like old Permissions 3 use PEX, what something new with features use bPermissions. Its preference.

Since I don't code plugins I couldn't tell you which one is more efficient on code level.

I hope that makes sense. I'll add I used the original Permissions and now I use PEX. I could use these others as well, but this is what I landed on.

6. Offline

Afforess

BPerms - codename is a solid programmer, helpful, and it has a web tool to help set it up.

cjc343 likes this.
  7. My bad, didn't know you wanted explanations :p
    Basically, what Afforess said

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.