Answered Basic Java Quiz to register

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by FisheyLP, May 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

mrCookieSlime

@FisheyLP
    No. These Forums are not only for Developers, also for people who want to request Plugins or have a problem with one.
    And there is not going to be a quiz for the Plugin Developement Section only either since everyone has to start somewhere. It is indeed recommended to learn Java first but thats not a reason to remove the access to visit this page from thousands of people.

2. Offline

ChipDev

I agree
    @mrCookieSlime, BUT it should be a register for plugin developent page, people link to java website, or it should be at the top of the page.

3. @ChipDev

4. Offline

teej107

If I see a post like that, I request it to be moved to Offtopic since basic Java problems is clearly not Bukkit related.

ChipDev likes this.
  5. Offline

ChipDev

Did you look at the edit?

6. @ChipDev We have README's linking to Java tutorials, do people read them? No. It is how it is, having links and readme's really don't help that much. Only a handful of people actually read them.

timtower likes this.
  7. Offline

mrCookieSlime

Same with Rules...

Tecno_Wizard, timtower and bwfcwalshy like this.
  8. Offline

Tecno_Wizard

Part of the problem with that theory is that ANYONE can just google the answers because you know someone is going to post them. Besides, many people learn java by making plugins and without the ability to just make them, people leave. Volentary sponsored java tutorials I would support though.

Markyroson likes this.
  9. Offline

SkiteElite

10. Offline

Lolmewn

In theory: Yes.
    In practice: No no no, not gonna work, not satisfactory or valid for all users either.

Hawktasard likes this.
  11. Offline

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

I agree with the idea.
    But there are a couple things to keep in mind.
    1. What do you test? Java goes a big way.
    2. How do you check if it is correct? 2 people can make very different code while it does the same thing.
    3. Who checks it? Due to point 2 it would require a human.
    4. Where do you draw a line of this user knows java or not?

Hawktasard likes this.
  12. Offline

Tecno_Wizard

@timtower, maybe for Bukkitdev with multiple choice questions. Some basic stuff like memory pointers, methods, and objects. I think that would be sufficient.

13. @Tecno_Wizard Yet again BukkitDev isn't just for developers. Users make their own accounts there to comments, and create tickets, and private message, and so on. While I agree that people shouldn't be making plugins unless they have sufficient Java knowledge, ideas such as a Java quiz aren't feasible, practical or enforceable.

nverdier, bwfcwalshy and timtower like this.
  14. Offline

Tecno_Wizard

@AdamQpzm, briefly forgot about that. It was really more of a "if we..." Kind of thing.

15. Offline

jthort

I really don't agree with this and think it's a bad idea.

16. Offline

ChipDev

That doesn't help.
    Why?

17. People are still asking for features?

Lol, you expect Curse to ever interact with those forums again?

18. Offline

teej107

Because making Bukkit plugins doesn't and shouldn't require any special qualifications like you are applying for a job. Anybody can program their own. Unfortunately that is where the problem is and as nice as the idea may seem, it is not possible since Bukkit is more of a community than a company or special club.

19. Offline

ChipDev

I was telling him that statements do not help unless you have reasoning.

20. Offline

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

Then are you able to tell why it would work? So pretty much: are you able to answer these questions:

21. Offline

teej107

His post was just his opinion.

22. Offline

ChipDev

Ok. I am fine with that, didn't think about that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.