basic bukkit server pack

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by VALO, Jun 30, 2011.

?

what do you think i should do

1. make the pack

68.8%
  2. dont make the pack

31.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

VALO

hey guys i got an idea to make plugin packs the basci pack will include in the first version
    -craftbukkit
    -essentials
    -worldedit
    -permissions
    - exact spawn
    once i get the approval from the makers of the following ill make it
    in future versions ill include guides on how to create a server with mac and pc
    and how to use the plugins, farther on the road i will make more packs for different types of server like a roleplaying pack, a freebuild pack, protection pack, player pack, and a pvp pack
    if you want your plugin to be in one of the packs i have thought of right a reply under here
    i have all these plugins listed on my server so i know they work

i have finished a basic v1.0 but i wont post it yet or have it for download until i get the okay from the plugin makers

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2016
  2. Offline

erdrickk

I don't get it. Why do this when you can download them separately - basically when you pack them up like this you are telling people that this is what you need when in fact it's really just an opinion.

Keep the plug-ins separate and let the server admins decide

3. Offline

VALO

okay i thought this would be an easier way to set up a server when you have all your basic stuff in one thing then you just open the folder and move the plugins into your server file its not something you install

4. Offline

obscurehero

don't include essentials, but do include worldguard. WG and WE together with permissions are practically cannon (if there was ever one) for any cb server worth its salt. I would stick with just maintaining a package like that.

Most of your work will be validating plugins with the new RB and ensuring that you have packages that are completely compatible. This would be nice, but at the end of the day this is a system in tremendous flux. Your effort to standardize things is noble. I'm just not sure how much you will achieve compared to the work that it will take to maintain it.

As a newer server admin, the thing that I would appreciate the MOST is a centralized database (excel style sheet) that validates and tests popular plugins with the newest RB. SK89Q (a virtual god of craftbukkit) has a wonderful sheet that he keeps to let you know how HIS plugins work with each successive RB.

As for setting up a server 'package', the idea is perfect. The problem is that it might be completely stable and work wonderful...but be completely useless when all your users want to migrate to the next version of MC. If you, as a admin, only know how to set up a server based on VALO server packs...you'll have no idea how to update or manage any of your plugins and you'll have to wait for VALO to come out with his newest edition of a server pack. This could take quite some deal of waiting on the lazy admin's part and a lot of time and work on your part while you scour, debug, and scramble to get the newest package together.

5. Offline

KrazyBonez

You should see the plugin system on my server, it should also be a pack but its like 30+ plugins so its a rather big pack :D

ive been told that my collection of plugins is one of the best selections out there, from people who have tried many servers and not liked it. You should come see what i use sometime and try some of them out!
    Server info in signature if you wanna look :)

6. Offline

VALO

okay i understand itll mostly be player based and the pack will be bare bones ive included some instructions already on how to set up the plugins and that you have to choosee between groupmanager and permissions later packs will have more instructions and world guard will be in a protection pack that i will make when this is done also the maker of exact spawn has agreed to allow me to use his plugin

i might checkout the server remeber this is work in progress

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

7. Offline

obscurehero

@KrazyBonez

I'm always on the lookout for new and useful plugins. What ones are you using?

8. Offline

VALO

my favorite is mobbounty you get money for killing mobs

also do i have to get the bukkit creators okay to use craftbukkit in the pack

9. Offline

obscurehero

I'd ask. I don't think you HAVE to (although I haven't ready the finer print of the license their using), but I'd recognize their hard work by shooting them a message. Who knows, if you do a good job with it, they might roll you into the team and have you put together newbie server packages...although I'm not really sure they'd want. Anyway, kudos!

I still think you should keep testing plugins and let me know (and other server admins) what are the compatible plugins with the latest RB! :p

10. Offline

Sayusuli

What you should do and what would make everyone happy is:
    Try to create and manage system that will keep the most updated versions of the plugins.
    and a Site much like Painterly textures. Where you can check checkboxes, radio buttons and whatnot. and upon submit your system will package the desired plugins and ship them away in a nice downloadable package.

you get your packaging needs
    everyone else gets packages they need
    and i imagine everyone will be happy

11. Offline

VALO

I might do that later on right no I'm trying to make an initial thing if anyone wants to help me tellme

12. Offline

VALO

since ive been waiting for plugin makers approval ive started working on V2.0 and its close to finish

13. Offline

VALO

we are currently getting permission for essentials

14. Offline

h0us3cat

[trollface]
    Somebody is trying to get a cheap plugin developer tag
    [/trollface]

15. Offline

VALO

what do you mean im helping people you bum

16. Offline

obscurehero

why essentials? Commandbook is better

17. Offline

VALO

i havent tried comamndbook though ill check it out maybe anyway im getting close to him giving permission​

we just got essentials team's permission two plugins left

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.